The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Is it possible to apply to a master programme with 2ii from Oxford

I just graduated from Oxford with a lower second class degree and I actually don't know what to do now. In my course if you get a upper second you can automatically progress into the master programme, and I worked really hard to try to get there. My parents and I expected me to get a master degree and I feel my life(and my language) is so messed up right now... I never consider myself as talented and I feel I was just lucky to get into Oxford. Sometimes I even think that if I didn't go to Oxford maybe I could graduate as a 2i... Someone help please:frown:
Also is it still possible for me to apply for 2021 entry? My brain is blank rightnow and I am not sure what programme should I apply too, I feel my life is such a failure.

edit: I am doing Maths and I may applied to some Maths related, more applied programme(I am considering about data science). I am also considering about PGCE, and I know most PGCE requires a 2ii so I shouldn't worried to much. Also I am an international student so I am not sure about the funding stuff, maybe I have to self-fund anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Which subject? Loads of universities would accept you.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hiya,

Are you trying to do your Masters at Oxbridge? That might prove tricky (though I know someone who got 2.2 from Cambridge music and then did MSt and DPhil music at Oxford. Think she dropped out before finishing the PhD though, and she was self-funding).

Applying to non-Oxbridge unis (depending on what course and how competitive that course is, and whether you're applying for research council/uni funding) will be far more straightforward - especially if you can get a good reference.

Solidarity with you! I know how it feels: left Oxford with a 2.2 in 2010 and still not over it :frown: My tutors all gave good references and I had one from one of the most famous British academics in my field (who had been my diss supervisor at Oxford), so I had no problems getting admitted to Masters or PhD programmes: the sticking point was research-council funding.

Above all, be kind to yourself and allow yourself time for this to sink in. PM me if that would help x
Original post by Linda_w
I just graduated from Oxford with a lower second class degree and I actually don't know what to do now. In my course if you get a upper second you can automatically progress into the master programme, and I worked really hard to try to get there. My parents and I expected me to get a master degree and I feel my life(and my language) is so messed up right now... I never consider myself as talented and I feel I was just lucky to get into Oxford. Sometimes I even think that if I didn't go to Oxford maybe I could graduate as a 2i... Someone help please:frown:
Also is it still possible for me to apply for 2021 entry? My brain is blank rightnow and I am not sure what programme should I apply too, I feel my life is such a failure.

A 2ii from one of the best universities in the word can hardly be described as a 'failure'. I know it's difficult to contextualise things when you're feeling sore, but do try to... :smile:

As for the masters, it would appear that a 2ii is no longer a barrier to entry as it once was. I suspect this is particularly the case when your undergrad is from Oxford. Where it might be an issue is with funding - certain bodies stipulate a 2i or higher (though there is always the SFE 'statutory' funding available).

Failing that, you'll get the Oxford MA after a few more terms, so just present that to your folk as a 'Masters'. Job done :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Which subject? Loads of universities would accept you.

I am doing Maths, but I am also considering thing like data science.
Reply 5
Original post by Linda_w
I am doing Maths, but I am also considering thing like data science.

I'm sure you can find courses which would accept you. There are loads out there.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
A 2ii from one of the best universities in the word can hardly be described as a 'failure'. I know it's difficult to contextualise things when you're feeling sore, but do try to... :smile:

As for the masters, it would appear that a 2ii is no longer a barrier to entry as it once was. I suspect this is particularly the case when your undergrad is from Oxford. Where it might be an issue is with funding - certain bodies stipulate a 2i or higher (though there is always the SFE 'statutory' funding available).

Failing that, you'll get the Oxford MA after a few more terms, so just present that to your folk as a 'Masters'. Job done :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! I am an intenational student and I am not very sure about how the funding stuff gonna applied to me(at least I cannot get any student loan and funding and pay extra fee when I did ny undergrad) And sorry about my words, in my country people say "Draw good cards but still lose the game", I think that's probably applies to me.:frown:
Original post by Linda_w
I just graduated from Oxford with a lower second class degree and I actually don't know what to do now.

edit: I am doing Maths and I may applied to some Maths related, more applied programme(I am considering about data science). I am also considering about PGCE, and I know most PGCE requires a 2ii so I shouldn't worried to much. Also I am an international student so I am not sure about the funding stuff, maybe I have to self-fund anyway.

A 2:2 from Oxford in Maths makes you “look” like a solid 2:1 student from most other universities as far as MSc admissions tutors are concerned - they have informal "conversion" statistics and lookup tables for this kind of thing. Something highly competitive in data science at Oxbridge, Imperial and a few other top places is likely out of reach now I am afraid, but going a notch down to still perfectly respectable institutions you are likely to be offered a place.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Wednesday
A 2:2 from Oxford in Maths makes you “look” like a solid 2:1 student from most other universities as far as MSc admissions tutors are concerned - they have informal "conversion" statistics and lookup tables for this kind of thing. Something highly competitive in data science at Oxbridge, Imperial and a few other top places is likely out of reach now I am afraid, but going a notch down to still perfectly respectable institutions you are likely to be offered a place.

Thank you so much for your information! I have decide to apply for financial maths. I am considering Queen Mary for 2021 entry but i dont know if my 2ii is valid enough
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Linda_w
Thank you so much for your information! I have decide to apply for financial maths. I am considering Queen Mary but i dont know if my 2ii is valid enough

Best of luck, you can always send the admissions team an informal email 1st before doing the full application and ask if you are likely to be a realistic candidate, I would expect so with the Oxford Maths backlground.
Reply 10

Citation needed
Original post by Ak4753
Citation needed

[1] Wednesday A. F. “Observations from assorted MSc admissions meetings”, Personal Communication (unpublished) multiple years.

[2] Registry (Anon), “Advisory notes to admissions teams on the equivalence of 1st degree grades from other awarding institutions”. (unpublished) multiple years.

BTW [2] is pretty standard, particularly for non UK institutions, e.g. an Italian degree award of 107/110 looks pretty stellar at 1st glance, but everything is compressed at the top of the range so you tend to look for 110/110 students, and then drill into individual grades to check for sufficient 30/30 awards which are relatively common in good candidates. For some students you need to strip out lots of “off topic” courses from the final degree grade (e.g. compulsory military theory) to get a number that better represents their capability in the relevant field of study.
Reply 12
[1] Wednesday A. F. “Observations from assorted MSc admissions meetings”, Personal Communication (unpublished) multiple years.

[2] Registry (Anon), “Advisory notes to admissions teams on the equivalence of 1st degree grades from other awarding institutions”. (unpublished) multiple years.

BTW [2] is pretty standard, particularly for non UK institutions, e.g. an Italian degree award of 107/110 looks pretty stellar at 1st glance, but everything is compressed at the top of the range so you tend to look for 110/110 students, and then drill into individual grades to check for sufficient 30/30 awards which are relatively common in good candidates. For some students you need to strip out lots of “off topic” courses from the final degree grade (e.g. compulsory military theory) to get a number that better represents their capability in the relevant field of study.

Citation meaning actual published admission stats, not "unpublished" anecdotal evidence
Original post by Ak4753
Citation meaning actual published admission stats, not "unpublished" anecdotal evidence

Only Oxford and Cambridge academics would publish it, and they are to busy actually churning out top quality students and researchers. No-one else would want the truth pointing out in a way that was citable. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending