The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Starting at Kingston University 2021

Hello there :smile:

Is anyone starting their degree or postgraduate studies at Kingston University this year?

How are you feeling?

Andrea
I’m starting Kingston this year and I’m having a hard time finding good things about the university other than it’s location and it’s 30 mins from london centre and how it’s refurbished.
How is the chemistry course in Kingston and the ins and outs of the uni
And student life information and how does students actually find the university
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting Kingston this year and I’m having a hard time finding good things about the university other than it’s location and it’s 30 mins from london centre and how it’s refurbished.
How is the chemistry course in Kingston and the ins and outs of the uni
And student life information and how does students actually find the university

Hey, that's great to hear that you are starting Kingston University.
Yes, the location is indeed one of the nicer areas of London and even though we are on more of the outskirts, we have all the great shops and restaurants here on the high street and in Bentalls.

I can't speak for the chemistry course specifically as I personally study Pharmacy but we use the same facilities which a lot of them have been upgraded to a very modern standard, you will likely have a lot of practical elements so those will be put to good use :smile:
The town house is another positive, it was built not long ago and serves as our new library, with a 6 floors and a rooftop terrace, it is a great place to study.
The university itself is a bit of a smaller community compared to others, in my opinion so it is easy to make friends, you will most likely be studying in the Penrhyn road campus for your course.

Student life wise, if you're into night-life, we have a pryzm nearby but in my personal opinion the best clubs are out in central. I've met a lot of people through the uni societies and my course, student life wise, you should have a lot of free time along with your course so I'd recommend joining the student ambassador program when you start, once you join you can get jobs sent to you from around the uni and you can choose whether or not you want to accept them so it's completely flexible around your uni schedule plus the pay is really good - I've also met a lot of people through here.

In my personal opinion, having been here for 3 years, I find the university quite a diverse place, as you know it's just recently undergone some refurbishments which has certainly improved the experience but the lecturers are really approachable and the seminars and workshops that are held help me out a lot, whenever the focus is on subjects that we are likely to struggle with, the lecturers are always on hand to help us out. I think it being one of the smaller unis helps with the assistance that you are able to get from staff here.

I've tried to explain my experience in as much detail as I can and of course, just remember everyones experience of uni is different! If you have any more questions, do let me know - I'll try my best to answer all of them. :smile:

Amit - 2nd Year MPHARM - Kingston Uni
Original post by Kingston University
Hey, that's great to hear that you are starting Kingston University.
Yes, the location is indeed one of the nicer areas of London and even though we are on more of the outskirts, we have all the great shops and restaurants here on the high street and in Bentalls.

I can't speak for the chemistry course specifically as I personally study Pharmacy but we use the same facilities which a lot of them have been upgraded to a very modern standard, you will likely have a lot of practical elements so those will be put to good use :smile:
The town house is another positive, it was built not long ago and serves as our new library, with a 6 floors and a rooftop terrace, it is a great place to study.
The university itself is a bit of a smaller community compared to others, in my opinion so it is easy to make friends, you will most likely be studying in the Penrhyn road campus for your course.

Student life wise, if you're into night-life, we have a pryzm nearby but in my personal opinion the best clubs are out in central. I've met a lot of people through the uni societies and my course, student life wise, you should have a lot of free time along with your course so I'd recommend joining the student ambassador program when you start, once you join you can get jobs sent to you from around the uni and you can choose whether or not you want to accept them so it's completely flexible around your uni schedule plus the pay is really good - I've also met a lot of people through here.

In my personal opinion, having been here for 3 years, I find the university quite a diverse place, as you know it's just recently undergone some refurbishments which has certainly improved the experience but the lecturers are really approachable and the seminars and workshops that are held help me out a lot, whenever the focus is on subjects that we are likely to struggle with, the lecturers are always on hand to help us out. I think it being one of the smaller unis helps with the assistance that you are able to get from staff here.

I've tried to explain my experience in as much detail as I can and of course, just remember everyones experience of uni is different! If you have any more questions, do let me know - I'll try my best to answer all of them. :smile:

Amit - 2nd Year MPHARM - Kingston Uni

How is Kingston timetable? I’m starting Kingston too. I’m going to do science!

I’m so curious how my timetable will look like? I live in Barkingside so it will take me a long time t I get to Kingston uni. Do student normally stay at the uni through the entire day and come home late? I am unable to move closer to Kingston so I’m curious to how long it will take me how and stuff like that so I can prepare my time management skills now

How long are lectures normally? And how much in one day for example in one day 2hr lecture and that it?

-I know it’s different for everyone but I’m curious to how it’s generally is.
I’m so anxious:frown:
I’ve been doing my postgrad studies here and not much good to say about student life as a postgraduate. I think if you’re young with few commitments (like children and work) - it should be a nice uni, but I’ve really struggled in accessing support.
There aren’t many mature students in my opinion and events/ student union etc. Are really catered to the undergraduates.
Whenever I raise an issue with the mitigating circumstances team or student support they just send you to unhelpful links. When I’ve had access problems due to issues with student finance, they admin team were incredibly rude, literally just said pay your fees if you want help and hung up twice. Student finance wasn’t releasing the money because they were waiting for registration confirmation from the university. I can’t wait to finish this degree, just because the university is horrible - I don’t want to be apart of it - I actually really regret choosing this uni.
Personal tutor is none existent - reaches out to that person several times over my degree and no response. I was even assigned an officer to support with my disability until this year - my final year, at which point I had/have only one module left, so a bit rubbish. Didn’t even know there was such support for students with disabilities.
That said the teaching is great and whenever I have reached out my my lecturer or SOSN officer (when I finally got one!) I’ve been met with warm consideration and they really do offer all the help/clarity they can.
I think I would have enjoyed the uni if I were 10 years younger, lived closer and didn’t work otherwise there’s really no support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending