The Student Room Group

Urgent: A level retake 2021

Hello,

I was planning on re-sitting two A-levels for the November Series.

For clarity- I did my AS Levels in 2020, and A-Levels in 2021.

Since one of my subjects, Accounting, had a Centre result for AS- they are now asking me to re-sit both the AS Level modules, along with the A-Level module in November (around a month/2 from now) as the validity of the results are for 13 months.

This would mean I have a little over a month to prepare for 2 AS Papers, an A Level Paper, and a completely different A-Level.

What do I do in this situation? Should I just do the AS Level re-sit in August for Accounting, and then the A-Level in Summer 2022?

I’m applying to Universities like UCL, KCL, LSE, Manchester, and Warwick. How do these universities look at this?

This will mean I would have taken an extra year for my AS Level Accounting, and an extra year for A-Level accounting.

What do I do?
Original post by artycyn
Hello,

I was planning on re-sitting two A-levels for the November Series.

For clarity- I did my AS Levels in 2020, and A-Levels in 2021.

Since one of my subjects, Accounting, had a Centre result for AS- they are now asking me to re-sit both the AS Level modules, along with the A-Level module in November (around a month/2 from now) as the validity of the results are for 13 months.

This would mean I have a little over a month to prepare for 2 AS Papers, an A Level Paper, and a completely different A-Level.

What do I do in this situation? Should I just do the AS Level re-sit in August for Accounting, and then the A-Level in Summer 2022?

I’m applying to Universities like UCL, KCL, LSE, Manchester, and Warwick. How do these universities look at this?

This will mean I would have taken an extra year for my AS Level Accounting, and an extra year for A-Level accounting.

What do I do?

Is this for Cambridge International exams?

Last year, I know LSE expected all resits done in the autumn sitting. You should definitely check with the unis you're applying to how they would view you retaking A-levels in this way.

Is the AS content completely different to the A-level content?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is this for Cambridge International exams?

Last year, I know LSE expected all resits done in the autumn sitting. You should definitely check with the unis you're applying to how they would view you retaking A-levels in this way.

Is the AS content completely different to the A-level content?

Hello, and thank you for your reply!

Yes, this is for CIE A-Levels.

The AS content is not at all different to the A-Level content, however I’m just unsure in regards to the time spent on, now, preparing for AS and A-Level for Accounting, and preparation for my other A-Level.
Original post by artycyn

The AS content is not at all different to the A-Level content, however I’m just unsure in regards to the time spent on, now, preparing for AS and A-Level for Accounting, and preparation for my other A-Level.

If the AS content is very similar, then I don't see why resitting the AS and A-level content should be so difficult? Having covered the A-level content will make this easier.

I am a bit confused as to why you're only being asked to resit the AS for one exam, unless your AS grade is pulling the other A-level down.

Do check with your unis though- like I said last year LSE definitely wanted everything done in the autumn, and I *think* UCL wanted everything done in one sitting (summer or autumn).
Reply 4
Original post by artycyn

Just to add on, I had got an A for my AS-Level accounting last year. This year, however, I had received a B for my A-Level. I need this bumped up to an A*, which is why I was going to re-sit my A-Level. (AS wont be carried forward as it is a centre grade) Now, I have to do both AS papers along with the A level in one series + my other A-Level.
Reply 5
If the AS content is very similar, then I don't see why resitting the AS and A-level content should be so difficult? Having covered the A-level content will make this easier.

I am a bit confused as to why you're only being asked to resit the AS for one exam, unless your AS grade is pulling the other A-level down.

Do check with your unis though- like I said last year LSE definitely wanted everything done in the autumn, and I *think* UCL wanted everything done in one sitting (summer or autumn).

The other exam (actual exam) was done in November of 2020, compared to my Accounting centre-result of June 2020. Since it hasn’t been 13 months for my AS-Level in that subject, I can have it carried forward.
Original post by artycyn
The other exam (actual exam) was done in November of 2020, compared to my Accounting centre-result of June 2020. Since it hasn’t been 13 months for my AS-Level in that subject, I can have it carried forward.

Ah I see.

I do honestly think resitting the AS and the A-level will not be that much more work, but you should check with unis because they may accept you doing the AS in the autumn, and then the two A-levels in the summer.
Reply 7
Ah I see.

I do honestly think resitting the AS and the A-level will not be that much more work, but you should check with unis because they may accept you doing the AS in the autumn, and then the two A-levels in the summer.

Hey, just have one question.

I can do the exams again, and get the grades, no issue there.

I was just wondering if it would look bad- seeing as I will be re-sitting an AS (done in June 2020) in November 2021. This is over a year, for an AS I already got an A for, but must do again in order to re-sit the A-Level. I am currently on a gap year (will apply for 2022 entry) and already have an unconditional offer (by mail) from the University of Manchester. (they said they would guarantee an unconditional offer for 2022 entry).
I’m happy to attend Manchester, as it is a pretty good uni.
Seeing as the other universities will probably reject me for the time taken for AS and A levels: wouldn’t it just make more sense to do the AS-Level Accounting in Autumn, along with my other A-Level (has to be done now because AS was done in Nov.2020), and then do the final Accounting A-Level in Summer 2022? I can do them all now, no issues, but it wouldn’t really make a difference- other than burdening me with more to study in around 2months.

What do you think?
Original post by artycyn
Hey, just have one question.

I can do the exams again, and get the grades, no issue there.

I was just wondering if it would look bad- seeing as I will be re-sitting an AS (done in June 2020) in November 2021. This is over a year, for an AS I already got an A for, but must do again in order to re-sit the A-Level. I am currently on a gap year (will apply for 2022 entry) and already have an unconditional offer (by mail) from the University of Manchester. (they said they would guarantee an unconditional offer for 2022 entry).
I’m happy to attend Manchester, as it is a pretty good uni.
Seeing as the other universities will probably reject me for the time taken for AS and A levels: wouldn’t it just make more sense to do the AS-Level Accounting in Autumn, along with my other A-Level (has to be done now because AS was done in Nov.2020), and then do the final Accounting A-Level in Summer 2022? I can do them all now, no issues, but it wouldn’t really make a difference- other than burdening me with more to study in around 2months.

What do you think?

It depends how interested you are in the other unis. They all should accept autumn resits as if you sat the exams this summer.

But if you'd rather go with Manchester and retake your A-levels in a more relaxed way, that's a totally valid option too.
Reply 9
It depends how interested you are in the other unis. They all should accept autumn resits as if you sat the exams this summer.

But if you'd rather go with Manchester and retake your A-levels in a more relaxed way, that's a totally valid option too.

Would they not find it unappealing that I’m resitting an AS Exam after another year?
Original post by artycyn
Would they not find it unappealing that I’m resitting an AS Exam after another year?

You're not doing it by choice though. Talk to the unis. It's the only way you can know for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest