The Student Room Group

SDIP - civil service internship

Hello! I was hoping someone had some answers to a few questions I have re. SDIP. I am going into my third year of undergrad, does this make me eligible? (providing I meet the BAME, disibility or economic quota). Or do I need to be on a masters (have two years of study left) to do it. Also, what is the application process like? Is it really difficult? When does it open for 2021. 2022? Is it the beginning of the academic year? Finally, how useful is the SDIP in the fast stream grad scheme? Sorry for all the questions! thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bella1510
Hello! I was hoping someone had some answers to a few questions I have re. SDIP. I am going into my third year of undergrad, does this make me eligible? (providing I meet the BAME, disibility or economic quota). Or do I need to be on a masters (have two years of study left) to do it. Also, what is the application process like? Is it really difficult? When does it open for 2021. 2022? Is it the beginning of the academic year? Finally, how useful is the SDIP in the fast stream grad scheme? Sorry for all the questions! thanks :smile:

Hey,

I did the SDIP last year, I was a final year student when I applied and had finished uni by the time I started, so yes you can apply (it’s for final year and penultimate year students).

The application process wasn’t too difficult, a few online tests but from what I remember they were mainly personality tests, then there was about 2/3 questions that I had to answer (why I want to do SDIP etc) and then after that it was a phone interview. Phone interview wasn’t too difficult, just prepare examples according to the behaviours that you will be assessed on (they tell you the behaviours before hand).

I started my internship in august 2020, it was delayed due to Covid I think it was supposed to start in July.

If you want to get onto the fast stream I definitely recommend doing the SDIP, I did SDIP and was successful for the fast stream, so were quite a lot of other interns in the department I interned at. During SDIP there is a mock fast stream assessment and you get help from rare recruitment or Upreach which is very very helpful. The mock assessment is pretty similar to the real thing so you’re very well prepared for the day.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by kevinesmart
Hey,

I did the SDIP last year, I was a final year student when I applied and had finished uni by the time I started, so yes you can apply (it’s for final year and penultimate year students).

The application process wasn’t too difficult, a few online tests but from what I remember they were mainly personality tests, then there was about 2/3 questions that I had to answer (why I want to do SDIP etc) and then after that it was a phone interview. Phone interview wasn’t too difficult, just prepare examples according to the behaviours that you will be assessed on (they tell you the behaviours before hand).

I started my internship in august 2020, it was delayed due to Covid I think it was supposed to start in July.

If you want to get onto the fast stream I definitely recommend doing the SDIP, I did SDIP and was successful for the fast stream, so were quite a lot of other interns in the department I interned at. During SDIP there is a mock fast stream assessment and you get help from rare recruitment or Upreach which is very very helpful. The mock assessment is pretty similar to the real thing so you’re very well prepared for the day.

Thank you so much for your reply! It really helps!

So you’re in the fast stream now as well? Do you mind me asking some questions about that? When do applications open for it? Could I do the SDIP 2022 summer and then apply straight after for fast stream? When does fast stream start in the year? Also, with the SDIP and fast stream - do you get to chose where you work? I would love to stay in North Yorkshire but scared they’ll only be opportunities in south/ London. Thanks again for your help! :smile:
Original post by Isabel1510
Thank you so much for your reply! It really helps!

So you’re in the fast stream now as well? Do you mind me asking some questions about that? When do applications open for it? Could I do the SDIP 2022 summer and then apply straight after for fast stream? When does fast stream start in the year? Also, with the SDIP and fast stream - do you get to chose where you work? I would love to stay in North Yorkshire but scared they’ll only be opportunities in south/ London. Thanks again for your help! :smile:

You’re welcome, happy to help :smile:

Yes, I have a place on the Generalist Fast Stream and I will be starting in October. There are two Fast stream intakes so some people start in September and others in October.

I’m not 100% sure when applications open but I think it’s around late September/October time. I checked my emails and can’t find when it opened but the deadline for SDIP applications when I applied was October 24th.

You can do the SDIP in 2022 and apply for the Fast Stream the following year when applications open again.
Also just so you’re aware, you can also apply for the Fast Stream this year (if you’re a final year student) and the SDIP too. If you’re not successful for the Fast Stream, you can still carry on with the SDIP application (that’s what I did).

You do get to put a location preference for both the SDIP and Fast Stream. With the Fast Stream it’s not guaranteed that you will get your preferred location however they do give 8 weeks notice and help with relocation costs. With the SDIP you can also put down your location preferences but again, I don’t think it’s guaranteed that you will get the location it’s just a preference. I think there are things that can be done to assist with travel/accommodation for the SDIP but I’m not certain on this. It is a paid internship though.
My internship was all remote due to Covid and I believe it’s going to be remote again this year. I know you mentioned that you’re planning to apply in 2022 so things might change by then but just something to bare in mind.
You’re welcome, happy to help :smile:

Yes, I have a place on the Generalist Fast Stream and I will be starting in October. There are two Fast stream intakes so some people start in September and others in October.

I’m not 100% sure when applications open but I think it’s around late September/October time. I checked my emails and can’t find when it opened but the deadline for SDIP applications when I applied was October 24th.

You can do the SDIP in 2022 and apply for the Fast Stream the following year when applications open again.
Also just so you’re aware, you can also apply for the Fast Stream this year (if you’re a final year student) and the SDIP too. If you’re not successful for the Fast Stream, you can still carry on with the SDIP application (that’s what I did).

You do get to put a location preference for both the SDIP and Fast Stream. With the Fast Stream it’s not guaranteed that you will get your preferred location however they do give 8 weeks notice and help with relocation costs. With the SDIP you can also put down your location preferences but again, I don’t think it’s guaranteed that you will get the location it’s just a preference. I think there are things that can be done to assist with travel/accommodation for the SDIP but I’m not certain on this. It is a paid internship though.
My internship was all remote due to Covid and I believe it’s going to be remote again this year. I know you mentioned that you’re planning to apply in 2022 so things might change by then but just something to bare in mind.

I am just about to begin second year at university. Can I still apply for the summer diversity internship program? I’m worried that I may be asked about my second year grades when I have only just registered and starting second year in September.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LegalTom
I am just about to begin second year at university. Can I still apply for the summer diversity internship program? I’m worried that I may be asked about my second year grades when I have only just registered and starting second year in September.

As long as you are in your final 2 years of uni you can apply. So if your course is 3 years and you are going into second year this month, you can apply.
Reply 6
When does the SDIP for 2022 open? Is it noon on the 23rd September same as the Fast Track?
Reply 7
Original post by chughes2
When does the SDIP for 2022 open? Is it noon on the 23rd September same as the Fast Track?

any update on this?? I thought I might have missed it !!
Yeah it usually opens at the same time as the fast stream

Original post by chughes2

Yes it opens at the same time as the fast stream
Reply 9
Hi,Do they tell you when your telephone interview will be if you are successful in the first few stages of the application process?
Does anyone know if I can apply for SDIP if I had a gap year between my undergraduate and postgraduate degree? I'm now starting my postgraduate degree :smile:
Hey guys when is the deadline for SDIP
As long as you are in your final 2 years of uni you can apply. So if your course is 3 years and you are going into second year this month, you can apply.

Hi again,

I recently applied for the SDIP and I got past the test, successfully. However, I was expecting to get progressed to the Work Based Scenarios but I found myself filling in infos about my motivations and where I would prefer to work. Is this normal? There were no tests whatsoever.
Hey,

Hi,

I recently applied for the SDIP and I got past the initial four tests, successfully. However, I was expecting to get progressed to the Work Based Scenarios but I found myself filling in infos about my motivations and where I would prefer to work. Is this normal? There were no tests.
Hi,

I recently applied for the SDIP and I got past the initial four tests, successfully. However, I was expecting to get progressed to the Work Based Scenarios but I found myself filling in infos about my motivations and where I would prefer to work. Is this normal? There were no tests.

Hello,

I applied for the SDIP, too, alongside 3 Fast Stream programmes. But, I haven't had to submit any information about my motivations and where I would prefer to work. Instead, I was invited to do the Work Based Scenarios and, following that, a Video Interview. It will be interesting to hear what other SDIP applicants have had to complete so far.
Original post by iStudent26
Hello,

I applied for the SDIP, too, alongside 3 Fast Stream programmes. But, I haven't had to submit any information about my motivations and where I would prefer to work. Instead, I was invited to do the Work Based Scenarios and, following that, a Video Interview. It will be interesting to hear what other SDIP applicants have had to complete so far.

What does the work base scenario entail? This is what my homepage looks like. Can I see yours, if it’s not too much to ask.
What does the work base scenario entail? This is what my homepage looks like. Can I see yours, if it’s not too much to ask.

Mine looks exactly like yours too. Just a waiting game now for if we get interviews or not :smile:
Original post by Maribella_321
Mine looks exactly like yours too. Just a waiting game now for if we get interviews or not :smile:

Hope we both get the interviews😭 I’ll keep you posted. 🙃
Is there still a chance that I could go through to the next round? I've completed the 4 tests a while back when they opened the applications but I still haven't been invited to write the motivational letter. One of my tests was above average and other 3 were average-good. Im lowkey worried because some people got through a week or so ago but I haven't heard back at all - no progression, no rejection.
Original post by Papierkowy
Is there still a chance that I could go through to the next round? I've completed the 4 tests a while back when they opened the applications but I still haven't been invited to write the motivational letter. One of my tests was above average and other 3 were average-good. Im lowkey worried because some people got through a week or so ago but I haven't heard back at all - no progression, no rejection.

The same happened to me and I emailed the Fast Stream Recruitment. Their response is attached below. I’d say just reach out to them and they should respond back. I’m still waiting for an update on my second stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending