The Student Room Group

I'm a student at LIS, ask me anything!

Hello everyone :hello:

I’m Finn, a student currently in my second year here at LIS and loving it. I’ve created an ‘AMA’ type thread for any questions you might have about LIS: life in London, the course, what LIS students are like, etc. Please fire away!
Original post by FinnRussellLIS
Hello everyone :hello:
I’m Finn, a student currently in my second year here at LIS and loving it. I’ve created an ‘AMA’ type thread for any questions you might have about LIS: life in London, the course, what LIS students are like, etc. Please fire away!

Hi, I’d love to know what sort of careers LIS is suited to. I really like the idea of developing tangible skills that aren’t limited to one discipline but I’m not sure what this would lead to. Do you have any idea what employers might thing/expect of someone with a BASc?
Hi there!

First of all, you definitely will develop plenty of tangible skills. Throughout the course we study qual and quant methods, I'll give you a few specific examples:

Data science / statistical analysis: In the first year, one of our modules is a term-long group project taking any real-world dataset we like and using Python to make sense of it. Examples included things like the world happiness report, and sex workers' mental health.

Systems thinking: Students I know use have used systems thinking in their projects to map complex problems; things like pesticide usage, the cost of living crisis, and gambling addiction. From there they found leverage points to best make change from (Check out Donella Meadows for more on thinking in systems).

Quantitative modelling: I took a module on this track this year, and some of my classmates made impressive models for things like second language acquisition, the energy usage of AI, wildlife conservation, and disease spread.
There are many other methods that we learn, this is just a sample from some of the modules I've studied so far. I'm very excited for the complexity science that I've picked for next year.

In regards to your question, we don't have any graduates yet, so I can't say for sure what LIS students can end up in. However we have students get job offers for banking (at Goldman Sachs), consultancy, and tech. If corporate life isn't your bag (It definitely isn't mine), then many students are also getting offers from purpose-driven organisations - charities, NGOs, and startups. I'm torn between applying for think tanks and the civil service. One of my close classmates wants to apply for graduate entry medicine. It really is quite broad! But I feel well equipped for work, even in my second year.

Something special about LIS is their internship programme. At the end of each year, LIS will broker every student an internship. It isn't competitive, and careers sessions throughout the year will make sure you can be matched with something you want to do. All internships are paid at London living wage or above. They can be remote or in-person depending on your needs.

I hope that helps :smile:

If you have any other questions, please ask away!
Original post by FinnRussellLIS
Hi there!
First of all, you definitely will develop plenty of tangible skills. Throughout the course we study qual and quant methods, I'll give you a few specific examples:
Data science / statistical analysis: In the first year, one of our modules is a term-long group project taking any real-world dataset we like and using Python to make sense of it. Examples included things like the world happiness report, and sex workers' mental health.
Systems thinking: Students I know use have used systems thinking in their projects to map complex problems; things like pesticide usage, the cost of living crisis, and gambling addiction. From there they found leverage points to best make change from (Check out Donella Meadows for more on thinking in systems).
Quantitative modelling: I took a module on this track this year, and some of my classmates made impressive models for things like second language acquisition, the energy usage of AI, wildlife conservation, and disease spread.
There are many other methods that we learn, this is just a sample from some of the modules I've studied so far. I'm very excited for the complexity science that I've picked for next year.
In regards to your question, we don't have any graduates yet, so I can't say for sure what LIS students can end up in. However we have students get job offers for banking (at Goldman Sachs), consultancy, and tech. If corporate life isn't your bag (It definitely isn't mine), then many students are also getting offers from purpose-driven organisations - charities, NGOs, and startups. I'm torn between applying for think tanks and the civil service. One of my close classmates wants to apply for graduate entry medicine. It really is quite broad! But I feel well equipped for work, even in my second year.
Something special about LIS is their internship programme. At the end of each year, LIS will broker every student an internship. It isn't competitive, and careers sessions throughout the year will make sure you can be matched with something you want to do. All internships are paid at London living wage or above. They can be remote or in-person depending on your needs.
I hope that helps :smile:
If you have any other questions, please ask away!

Thanks so much, this was really helpful :smile:) Best of luck with your next steps too, whichever you choose!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending