The Student Room Group

Economics at oxbridge without alevel economics

My school offers economics alevel but id didn’t choose it I only recently discovered that i would definitely love to do economics in uni however my sixth form does not allow us to change because we are a month in am i at a disadvantage? My ither alevels are further maths, maths, psychology
Original post by Isma_099
My school offers economics alevel but id didn’t choose it I only recently discovered that i would definitely love to do economics in uni however my sixth form does not allow us to change because we are a month in am i at a disadvantage? My ither alevels are further maths, maths, psychology

What are the entry requirements at the two universities in question for Economics (or the closest course offered)?
Your subjects are fine, A-level Economics is neither required nor preferred for entry to economics at either uni. Note that at Oxford economics is only offered as a joint honours course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
What are the entry requirements at the two universities in question for Economics (or the closest course offered)?

Maths is required, i am just worried the other subject may put me at a disadvantage.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Your subjects are fine, A-level Economics is neither required nor preferred for entry to economics at either uni. Note that at Oxford economics is only offered as a joint honours course.

Ok thankyou, that definitely has eased me a little bit.
Lots of TSR info and advice here about Applying for Economics : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
Maths is required, i am just worried the other subject may put me at a disadvantage.

^ There you go
Reply 7
If youre applying to cam i think they want 4 a levels for econ https://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-economics/course-prerequisites. Id do maths fm phys history if u cant do econ
Reply 8
Original post by Cs115
If youre applying to cam i think they want 4 a levels for econ https://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-economics/course-prerequisites. Id do maths fm phys history if u cant do econ

My sixth form did not allow me to choose 4.
Reply 9

you should try convice them if econ at cambridge/ i think LSE is what you want to do
Original post by Cs115
you should try convice them if econ at cambridge/ i think LSE is what you want to do

Original post by Cs115

Regarding Cambridge, this isn't quite what it says. It says 'most offer holders are studying at least four'. That doesn't mean the OP can't apply with three, but you're right to point out that four A levels is 'typical'. Below is a snippet of an FOI regarding the average number of A levels each offer holder has at Cambridge for 2018-2020 (Columns left to right). For 2020, you can see that out of 86 offer holders (there are a few more, but these can be disregarded), about half were offering A*A*A*A*. A further quarter were offering A*A*A* - so the OP does have a realistic chance of being offered a place, even with three A levels, so long as he or she gets all A*s.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.14.25.png

See above - three A levels, in the subjects you are doing, are fine for Cambridge. You need to concentrate on getting A*A*A* now.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
Regarding Cambridge, this isn't quite what it says. It says 'most offer holders are studying at least four'. That doesn't mean the OP can't apply with three, but you're right to point out that four A levels is 'typical'. Below is a snippet of an FOI regarding the average number of A levels each offer holder has at Cambridge for 2018-2020 (Columns left to right). For 2020, you can see that out of 86 offer holders (there are a few more, but these can be disregarded), about half were offering A*A*A*A*. A further quarter were offering A*A*A* - so the OP does have a realistic chance of being offered a place, even with three A levels, so long as he or she gets all A*s.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.14.25.png

See above - three A levels, in the subjects you are doing, are fine for Cambridge. You need to concentrate on getting A*A*A* now.

Ok thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending