The Student Room Group

Is water potential the pressure created by water molecules

In the notes for biology P&M tutor it says so. It has the same units so is it true?
I can't find any definitions on the internet that are similar.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel pessimistic about p&M tutor now
hey, so i don't know a ton but water potential = solute potential + pressure potential [ i mean its more stuff but we need only this until A level]
you should get a result for these terms online and maybe even easier explanations.
solute potential is basically caused by the whole concentration element. so more solute , less solute stuff. pressure is caused by water molecules but it isn't as simple. it has something to do with cell structure so you may wanna research more.

lol sorry this wasn't very helpful .
Reply 3
Original post by confusion59
hey, so i don't know a ton but water potential = solute potential + pressure potential [ i mean its more stuff but we need only this until A level]
you should get a result for these terms online and maybe even easier explanations.
solute potential is basically caused by the whole concentration element. so more solute , less solute stuff. pressure is caused by water molecules but it isn't as simple. it has something to do with cell structure so you may wanna research more.

lol sorry this wasn't very helpful .

It's okay, thanks for your response. I am doing a levels though
ah i think you misunderstood. i mean like you need this much information for like A levels too and not more. sorry english is my second language so yeah.
Original post by Mad Man
I feel pessimistic about p&M tutor now

there stuff is alright. it might not be the most detailed or accurate so you should use other resources too. Eg. youtube videos - like snaprevise or exham bio or miss eustruch [ lol sorry these are the ones i used not sure how much they might help you / might be relevant to your spec] or like your textbook , like if u can get hold of an online copy. ultimately making notes in lessons is the most accurate info you can get.
Reply 6
Original post by confusion59
there stuff is alright. it might not be the most detailed or accurate so you should use other resources too. Eg. youtube videos - like snaprevise or exham bio or miss eustruch [ lol sorry these are the ones i used not sure how much they might help you / might be relevant to your spec] or like your textbook , like if u can get hold of an online copy. ultimately making notes in lessons is the most accurate info you can get.

Thanks, but I'm like your username atm. Confused.
Reply 7
Can anyone verify this definition because P=F/A = N/m^2 = N.m/m^3 W=Fd = Nm so J/m^3 and the definition in wikipedia is potential energy of water per unit volume
Reply 8
Anyone?
Water Potential is measured in kiloPascals (kPa)... these are equivalent to kJ/m3
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
Water Potential is measured in kiloPascals (kPa)... these are equivalent to kJ/m3

Technically that is correct but it still has the same base units (J/M^3). So what should I do, one book says one thing and the other says another, I'm stressing out.
Original post by Mad Man
Technically that is correct but it still has the same base units (J/M^3). So what should I do, one book says one thing and the other says another, I'm stressing out.

look up your Exam Board syllabus... they should include a list of approved units.
Reply 12
look up your Exam Board syllabus... they should include a list of approved units.

I'm just confused that there is no clear definition of water potential and in the exam board approved book and pmt say water potential is the pressure of water molecules.
Reply 13
Is anyone doing AQA A level biology?
Reply 14
Please someone help
Reply 15

kPa just means 1x10^3Pa, the derivation, I believe is correct
in my notes I have it as 'Water potential is the measure of the quantity of water compared to solutes, measured as the pressure created by the water molecules in kPa'. if thats any help
Reply 17
Original post by PastelColours
in my notes I have it as 'Water potential is the measure of the quantity of water compared to solutes, measured as the pressure created by the water molecules in kPa'. if thats any help

It does sort of help because it mentions that water potential is measured as pressure. Where did you find this information?
Reply 18
@Muttley79 any ideas?
Original post by Mad Man
@Muttley79 any ideas?

I didn't even take Biology O level!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending