The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is it advisable to apply to two courses at LSE?

Hi, I'm an international applicant applying this coming October cycle. My predicted grades are 4A* in Maths, FM, Econ, and Chemistry + A* in EPQ on monetary policy.

My uni choices are
1. Cambridge Econ
2. LSE Econ
3. LSE Maths and Econ
4. UCL Econ
5. Warwick Econ

Some say that you get rejected straightaway if you apply to two courses at LSE, and some others say it's fine. But what I know for sure is that I'll get only one offer. These two courses are for different departments at LSE (department of econ and department of maths). Also, I'd rather go to LSE Maths and Econ than UCL or Warwick.

My personal statement is on macroeconomics (monetary policy) and quantitative aspects, so it would be suitable for both courses.

Given this, is it advisable to apply to two courses at LSE? Would it be too risky? Would it be better to put Durham or King's as a safety choice? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
If you got offers for both courses then which would you choose?
Apply to just one.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you got offers for both courses then which would you choose?
Apply to just one.

Ah, I see. Could you maybe tell me the reason behind it?
Reply 3
Original post by sararah04
Hi, I'm an international applicant applying this coming October cycle. My predicted grades are 4A* in Maths, FM, Econ, and Chemistry + A* in EPQ on monetary policy.

My uni choices are
1. Cambridge Econ
2. LSE Econ
3. LSE Maths and Econ
4. UCL Econ
5. Warwick Econ

Some say that you get rejected straightaway if you apply to two courses at LSE, and some others say it's fine. But what I know for sure is that I'll get only one offer. These two courses are for different departments at LSE (department of econ and department of maths). Also, I'd rather go to LSE Maths and Econ than UCL or Warwick.

My personal statement is on macroeconomics (monetary policy) and quantitative aspects, so it would be suitable for both courses.

Given this, is it advisable to apply to two courses at LSE? Would it be too risky? Would it be better to put Durham or King's as a safety choice? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I was in your exact same situation and chose to apply for Lse Maths and econ, the way I believe it works is that they will only give you one offer and that offer will be able to them and how much they believe the course will suit you judging by your personal statement.
As someone who applied last year, I can tell you the competition was unbelievably more fierce than in previous years due to Covid.

If you are set on applying for maths and econ I would recommend you talk about something to do with econ that has heavy underlying mathematical methods.
I think its perfectly fine to apply for both. I would just suggest change one of ucl or warwick to nottingham/bristol/loughborough - for the safer option
Reply 5
I know someone who applied for 2 courses and got an offer for one. I think it says they will only offer you one (reagrdless of different department!)
LSE notes that you may weaken your PS in trying to cater for two courses, so in all likelihood you will be lessening your chances of offers rather than increasing them.

Source
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Yea but hers were really similar, both dual subjects or whatever you call them
Reply 8
and did not submit LSE choices till she had offer from one of her other choices.
Original post by cateater
and did not submit LSE choices till she had offer from one of her other choices.

That’s a very sensible approach and we recommend that people do this all the time.
Reply 10
Original post by cateater
I know someone who applied for 2 courses and got an offer for one. I think it says they will only offer you one (reagrdless of different department!)

That's what i heard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending