The Student Room Group

is french a level good?

hihihi!! to anyone whos doing french a level, is it good? do you enjoy it? what are your thoughts about it? is it a huge leap from gcse? is it your hardest subject? pls just give me a general overview lmao and if i should or shouldnt do it :')

the thing is ive been so sure about doing french alevel since year 10 but now im having 2nd thoughts and im getting a bit too scared to do it lol and might replace it with geography or something idk
It's very grammar heavy, and you study more French literature and film that you would have done for GCSE.

If you have a good grasp of grammar that's half the battle won.
Original post by TazmeenX
hihihi!! to anyone whos doing french a level, is it good? do you enjoy it? what are your thoughts about it? is it a huge leap from gcse? is it your hardest subject? pls just give me a general overview lmao and if i should or shouldnt do it :')

the thing is ive been so sure about doing french alevel since year 10 but now im having 2nd thoughts and im getting a bit too scared to do it lol and might replace it with geography or something idk

Its quite heavy, my family is partly french and my brother had to drop it because even though he had help for the language, the film studies and essays were apparently awful!
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It's very grammar heavy, and you study more French literature and film that you would have done for GCSE.

If you have a good grasp of grammar that's half the battle won.

ahhh okie i see

do u know what sort of writing and speaking stuff u have to do and how did u find it
Reply 4
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Its quite heavy, my family is partly french and my brother had to drop it because even though he had help for the language, the film studies and essays were apparently awful!

oh fr? yikes okay this may be my sign to not do it then :s-smilie:

was it awful as in boring or awful as in difficult and if it was difficult, pls could u elaborate as to how it was difficult

sorry for the question lol i just wanna be sure if i wanna do it or not
oh fr? yikes okay this may be my sign to not do it then :s-smilie:

was it awful as in boring or awful as in difficult and if it was difficult, pls could u elaborate as to how it was difficult

sorry for the question lol i just wanna be sure if i wanna do it or not

For him, he wasn't interested, so that made it worse. Boring hence more difficult. But it's different for everyone, so maybe do a taster lesson, or watch a youtube revision video on A-level content to see if you could see yourself studying it?
ahhh okie i see

do u know what sort of writing and speaking stuff u have to do and how did u find it

I took it quite some time ago so I'm afraid I forget the specifics.

Put it this way, I was born in France and lived there until I was 3. My dad's side of the family is French. I have dual nationality. I got a B.

That being said, I love French in general, so I'm glad I took it. I can communicate with my relatives in France relatively well as a result of studying it. I don't regret taking it - if you love languages you won't regret taking it... but I'm not going to lie and say it's easy.
Reply 7

I've only just started the AS level (WJEC exam board) so I may not have the greatest idea of it but personally I love it! However, it is quite difficult and there is a lot of essay writing. My teacher makes us do an essay a week at least and a lot of reading to practice, but the workload helps with learning and becoming stronger in the language - ofc your teacher might not be the same as mine, so that might be something you should take into consideration. You *need* to be good at grammar for it (and have an amazing grasp of the subjunctive) because it is marked much more harshly than in GCSE but if you are passionate in languages and in particular French, then I think you should definitely consider it/take it. Of course it's an option you'll have to carefully think about but I'm sure if you spoke to your teacher about the content, you might have a better idea of whether you would like to study it. And if you choose it and hate it, you can always swap to Geography early in the year (if your college/sixth form would let you).

It is a huge leap from GCSE but it does get a lot better with time, and that jump is necessary - personally, I liked being thrown into the deep side of the water because it helped me a lot to learn on my own, rather than just being spoonfed the whole way through.

If you need me to clarify anything I've said or want to ask anymore questions, then please do!

100% go for it!! Languages are so much fun to study in the 6th form because you get to reach a competent level. You also get introduced to literature and lots more about the culture, so it becomes way more than just conjugating verbs. Also, languages are one of the easiest subjects to revise because you have been doing all the work throughout the course and it is cumulative, so the revision for exams is a lot less intensive. If you are feeling nervous, have a look at the website mylanguageexchange.com, you can find a french pen-pal/video-call pal.

Quick Reply

Latest