The Student Room Group

autism and open day

advice for someone with autism going to a uni open day? im scared. its very different to my routine and im just scared in general
Go with a friend or family; makes it easier. Once you’re there get a vibe of the uni; see if you think it’ll be your kind of place
Original post by Anonymous
advice for someone with autism going to a uni open day? im scared. its very different to my routine and im just scared in general

I don't really know much about it but hopefully you'll get well soon and good luck with the open day
Reply 3
I don't really know much about it but hopefully you'll get well soon and good luck with the open day

thankyou so muchh
Reply 4
Original post by Smeraldettoi
Go with a friend or family; makes it easier. Once you’re there get a vibe of the uni; see if you think it’ll be your kind of place

what if i go by myself? the ppl i want to go with r busy
Reply 5

There will usually be lots of signs and lots of people around to ask (usually in very obvious coloured shirts or something). Use the website before you go to make a plan of everything you want to see, and then just work your way through them, and if you get stuck at any point don't be afraid to ask for help - that's what people are being paid to do :smile: Most of the time there will also be scheduled tours and talks, which would help you get a bit of routine for the day and also make sure you don't miss anything.
Plan everything out. What sessions happen when, which do you want to do, book them in advance if you can.
Look at the campus tour films for that Uni on YouTube so you feel familiar with the look/layout of the Uni. There will also be a campus map on the Uni website.
If you feel overwhelmed with noise/busy while you are there, just take some time out and sit quietly somewhere for a while.
Take Mum/Dad or someone else you trust with you - they will understand the situations you find difficult.

It’s up to you; do you feel brave enough to go by yourself?
Reply 8
Original post by Interea
There will usually be lots of signs and lots of people around to ask (usually in very obvious coloured shirts or something). Use the website before you go to make a plan of everything you want to see, and then just work your way through them, and if you get stuck at any point don't be afraid to ask for help - that's what people are being paid to do :smile: Most of the time there will also be scheduled tours and talks, which would help you get a bit of routine for the day and also make sure you don't miss anything.

THANKYOU. i will defo do this!
Original post by McGinger
Plan everything out. What sessions happen when, which do you want to do, book them in advance if you can.
Look at the campus tour films for that Uni on YouTube so you feel familiar with the look/layout of the Uni. There will also be a campus map on the Uni website.
If you feel overwhelmed with noise/busy while you are there, just take some time out and sit quietly somewhere for a while.
Take Mum/Dad or someone else you trust with you - they will understand the situations you find difficult.

i decided im going to go with my mum. thinking of going by myself was a step too far. campus tour films on youtube! i will check that out. seeing the layout and being familiar with it Is important :smile:
Original post by Smeraldettoi
It’s up to you; do you feel brave enough to go by yourself?

i decided im now going to go with my mum. its this week saturday o.o wish me luck please....
Original post by Interea

just for clarity, your saying that i should make a list like how i usually do. the think is i dont know what i want to see. i know i have a campus tour and then a talk with the business lecturer. i know i do want to speak with the disability team to see if they can even meet my needs. have i missed anything?
Original post by usernamechange11
just for clarity, your saying that i should make a list like how i usually do. the think is i dont know what i want to see. i know i have a campus tour and then a talk with the business lecturer. i know i do want to speak with the disability team to see if they can even meet my needs. have i missed anything?

It sounds like you've got the main things there :smile: When I was doing open days my main list was:
- campus tour, plus exploring a bit myself looking for nice quiet spots
- subject information talks
- disability services
- accommodation (that one obviously depends if you're moving out or not!)
- explore the library (both my subject section and sections related to my hobbies)
- explore nearby food shops, to see how many of my usual safe foods/brands they stocked (this wouldn't have been a decider, but would at least let me prepare in advance if I would need to massively change my eating habits)

I don't know how they work with COVID, but it used to be that there would often be a hall full of information stands about all the random services you might be interested in (careers, wellbeing, volunteering, etc.), and also various other talks about things like finance, living away from home, and tips for parents supporting students. It can certainly be an overwhelming amount of information, so maybe just focus on your priorities for now - if you miss anything then much of the information will be available online too, and there will always be someone you can email to ask.
Original post by usernamechange11
i decided im now going to go with my mum. its this week saturday o.o wish me luck please....

You’ll be fine
im going tomorrow!! wish me luck pls
im going tomorrow!! wish me luck pls

I was going to rep (as a way of wishing good luck) but TSR’s rep system needs improving, to say the least. So, good luck to you.
Original post by 0ptics
I was going to rep (as a way of wishing good luck) but TSR’s rep system needs improving, to say the least. So, good luck to you.

thankyouu!!❤️
hi everyone. it went terrible. i started crying in the first 5 mins. no one helped me which made it worse. i couldn’t even go to the talk and left in about 30 mins i’m a failure. i feel rubbish but thanks for the advice though ❤️
hi everyone. it went terrible. i started crying in the first 5 mins. no one helped me which made it worse. i couldn’t even go to the talk and left in about 30 mins i’m a failure. i feel rubbish but thanks for the advice though ❤️

Crying? What about?

Quick Reply

Latest