The Student Room Group

How to deal with depression?

Depression..
Hey, can you tell me how you're feeling right now? Talking to someone about your feelings can make you feel better. If you don't feel comfortable, then could you open up about how you are feeling with someone you trust like a family member, friend, or teacher? Alternatively, you might want to speak to Childline on 0800 1111, chat with a counsellor online, or send an email. Support and advice for feeling depressed can be found on here https://www.childline.org.uk/ . You can also find help and advice about how you are feeling on Young Minds https://www.youngminds.org.uk/ .
The Student Room also has an article you may want to read which gives advice for dealing with depression which can be found on https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/life/health/mental-health/advice-for-students-dealing-with-depression .
I personally believe it varies based on what works best for the individual.

For me, I find going out for walks (or just getting out of the house) helps a lot. Talking also helps me rationalise my issues and how I feel. It does come as a bit of a comfort to me knowing that there are people who are willing to listen and try and help. I don't take medication for my depression (or my other mental health issues), but I know some people who do and they feel it helps them. Like I said, it varies.
Reply 4
There's no right answer to that question. What works for someone else might not work for you, so you have to find your own way of dealing with these depressive feelings, which is a hard thing to do. Medication should be prescribed as a last resort, but if these feelings and thoughts are disrupting your day-to-day activities, then obviously seek a professional for advice.
There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

Is there anything that makes you happy? Do you have interests or hobbies? Maybe you could read a good book or take part in a activities or join a club, meet up
I physically run. what have you tried?
Reply 7
Original post by Nithu2004
Depression..

you can try medication. it can help a little bit if you can deal with side effects

Original post by Anonymous
I physically run. what have you tried?

lol. do people still believe that physical exercise cures depression? i get like 2-3h of physical exercise every single day bc my dog is a working breed and it makes no difference to my mood
Original post by Ciel.
you can try medication. it can help a little bit if you can deal with side effects

lol. do people still believe that physical exercise cures depression? i get like 2-3h of physical exercise every single day bc my dog is a working breed and it makes no difference to my mood

bruh what I wish I have that dog. anyways not everyone has the same level of depression. mine is somewhere close to anxiety and overthinking which I then feel relaxed after going for a run in the fresh air.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
bruh what I wish I have that dog. anyways not everyone has the same level of depression. mine is somewhere close to anxiety and overthinking which I then feel relaxed after going for a run in the fresh air.

yeah maybe it can help with mild anxiety/low mood but not actual depression
and lol, get a german shepherd then.. or a husky
The first step is to talk to someone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest