The Student Room Group

Imperial offer or reapply to Cambridge

Hey everyone.

I have recently applied to study maths with mathematical physics at imperial, and also applied to study maths at Trinity College, Cambridge.

I unfortunately got rejected from Trinity before interview, even though I feel like I have good credentials (multiple medals and distinctions from olympiads, published paper, independently coded chrome extension) and definitely have the grades (42 in IB with 7 in HL math).

I am planning on taking STEP this summer, and I’m waiting for an answer from Imperial.

I am especially interested in theoretical and mathematical physics, and one of the reasons why I’m thinking of reapplying to Cambridge next year (but to a different college) is because of the unique mathematical physics there, and because I feel like I could spend some time improving my resume and securing an interview from a less competitive college (St Johns, Jesus).

Assuming I get an offer from Imperial, is it worth doing this? Or is it just better to start studying maths at Imperial next year? How do the undergrad courses compare to each other in terms of theoretical/mathematical physics content? I’m also thinking of maybe transferring to the theoretical physics course at Imperial, and the same questions apply.

I’m planning on going in to theoretical physics academia after graduating (definitely want to do Part 3 at Cambridge after undergrad).

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you should wait and see what offers you actually get.
Where else have you applied? Not sure why it’s just Cambridge or Imperial.
Sorry you were rejected from Cambridge but am slightly concerned that you seem to think that the problem was that you applied to Trinity. All colleges will look at you in a similar light so please don’t think other colleges will be easier to get in to.
You certainly sound focused on your subject, what was your PS like?
What interests/experience do you have in areas surrounding/supporting your subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Greebo85
Sorry you were rejected from Cambridge but am slightly concerned that you seem to think that the problem was that you applied to Trinity. All colleges will look at you in a similar light so please don’t think other colleges will be easier to get in to.
What interests/experience do you have in areas surrounding/supporting your subject?

Agreed, as a current fresher at St John's OP sounds very pretentious. If they got rejected PRE INTERVIEW (and bearing in mind maths exam is not until summer), they would not have got into Johns or Jesus, or likely any other college for that matter. Yes, an extra year will give them time to improve on their PS but Johns and Jesus are not easy options as it were, they'll have their work cut out regardless of what college they apply to.
Reply 3
Original post by boossman
Hey everyone.

I have recently applied to study maths with mathematical physics at imperial, and also applied to study maths at Trinity College, Cambridge.

I unfortunately got rejected from Trinity before interview, even though I feel like I have good credentials (multiple medals and distinctions from olympiads, published paper, independently coded chrome extension) and definitely have the grades (42 in IB with 7 in HL math).

I am planning on taking STEP this summer, and I’m waiting for an answer from Imperial.

I am especially interested in theoretical and mathematical physics, and one of the reasons why I’m thinking of reapplying to Cambridge next year (but to a different college) is because of the unique mathematical physics there, and because I feel like I could spend some time improving my resume and securing an interview from a less competitive college (St Johns, Jesus).

Assuming I get an offer from Imperial, is it worth doing this? Or is it just better to start studying maths at Imperial next year? How do the undergrad courses compare to each other in terms of theoretical/mathematical physics content? I’m also thinking of maybe transferring to the theoretical physics course at Imperial, and the same questions apply.

I’m planning on going in to theoretical physics academia after graduating (definitely want to do Part 3 at Cambridge after undergrad).

Again, slow right down. You sound like you have a bit of an attitude problem 'is it worth going to imperial'. So far you have been rejected from Cambridge *pre interview* and you haven't heard from Imperial, there's a fair chance you won't get in there either. Wait until someone actually makes you an offer and go from there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Greebo85

-I taught myself the entire IB HL syllabus
-Programmed my own RSA encryption program
-Won a gold medal in the St. Petersburg state university Olympiad, All-Russian maths Olympiad prize, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology book prize
-Published a paper in a peer reviewed journal (Heliyon)
-BMO distinction, gold medals in UKMT challenges
-Programmed my own chrome extension for Amazon which uses bayes theorem on reviews
-Read lots of books, mentioned Feynman lectures on physics and attended public lecture by Witten. Also mentioned “Groups: A Path to Geometry” and “Knots” by Sosinski which I read in line with an interest in physics.
-Chess rating of 1700 in tournaments
-Ran my school’s maths mentoring programme
-I taught myself the entire IB HL syllabus
-Programmed my own RSA encryption program
-Won a gold medal in the St. Petersburg state university Olympiad, All-Russian maths Olympiad prize, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology book prize
-Published a paper in a peer reviewed journal (Heliyon)
-BMO distinction, gold medals in UKMT challenges
-Programmed my own chrome extension for Amazon which uses bayes theorem on reviews
-Read lots of books, mentioned Feynman lectures on physics and attended public lecture by Witten. Also mentioned “Groups: A Path to Geometry” and “Knots” by Sosinski which I read in line with an interest in physics.
-Chess rating of 1700 in tournaments
-Ran my school’s maths mentoring programme

Good lord.. is this another satire? Cambridge is beneath you it seems.
Reply 6
Original post by summerbirdreads
Good lord.. is this another satire? Cambridge is beneath you it seems.

Nope, those are all legit. And I got rejected before interview.
Original post by OL12345
Agreed, as a current fresher at St John's OP sounds very pretentious. If they got rejected PRE INTERVIEW (and bearing in mind maths exam is not until summer), they would not have got into Johns or Jesus, or likely any other college for that matter. Yes, an extra year will give them time to improve on their PS but Johns and Jesus are not easy options as it were, they'll have their work cut out regardless of what college they apply to.

They've been round this track a few times now, each time increasingly incredulous that the top universities in the world aren't falling over themselves to give him an offer.
Cambridge isn't the end all or be all. OP, why are you acting like Imperial is a **** tier uni and why do you think that you'll definitely get an offer? I don't think that you can transfer to Cambridge from any university but Imperial is sometimes better than Oxbridge for maths or physics anyways.
Hey everyone.

You have just given us a list of your achievements. They are looking for the person behind that list.

From what I can see you are annoyed that you didn’t get in, but Cambridge is competitive and there will be many worthy candidates who will also get rejected pre interview.

Nobody is guaranteed a place, or even an interview at Cambridge.

I would have counselled my sons, if they were in your shoes, to accept imperial if you receive an offer.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Cambridge isn't the end all or be all. OP, why are you acting like Imperial is a **** tier uni and why do you think that you'll definitely get an offer? I don't think that you can transfer to Cambridge from any university but Imperial is sometimes better than Oxbridge for maths or physics anyways.

Honestly with OPs attitude, I would rather they not get into Imperial... that's a *****y mindset to have ngl, Imperial deserves better than OP. OP needs to change their mindset.
Nope, those are all legit. And I got rejected before interview.

Well, I'm sure they want people who demonstrate sincere interest for their course, not someone who list off too many things.
Why would you apply to Trinity though? It’s so insanely oversubscribed that chances of being rejected pre interview are significantly higher than at others.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Why would you apply to Trinity though? It’s so insanely oversubscribed that chances of being rejected pre interview are significantly higher than at others.

Exactly. And St. John’s and Jesus are not exactly a picnic, either
Original post by Oxford Mum

Yeah.. I thought St. John's and Jesus were fairly competitive too.
Original post by Oxford Mum

For pretty much any other subject and college the chances of interview (provided you meet the criteria) are fairly even. But maths at Trinity is just not. It’s a victim of its own cult.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Son of the Sea
For pretty much any other subject and college the chances of interview (provided you meet the criteria) are fairly even. But maths at Trinity is just not. It’s a victim of its own cult.

Exactly. It’s like St. John’s for Cambridge economics just because Marshall went there.

I’m getting that slight whiff of troll BO again. Seems like you are too.

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest