The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Have/would you apply to other universities in the UK if you didn't get into Cambridge

So I'm waiting on decisions from both Cambridge and Oxford. I'm only looking to do my studies part-time given my work commitments etc. and I am not looking for a career in academia per se. As an alumnus of both Oxford and Cambridge they are my first choice destinations for a PhD in the UK. For me I really want to attend somewhere that would offer part-time study options and the potential for funding and without dismissing other universities, somewhere with prestige. Thus the only other places I have considered applying to (but not submitted yet) are the LSE, Imperial, and the London Business School (all focusing on policy-related areas/public health etc). With the LBS the deadline has long gone. If I don't get any Oxbridge offers I will most likely reapply probably with revised research proposals as it appears the stumbling block is/was not being able to get a supervisor as opposed to my academic credentials.

So the question is, where else have you applied in the UK and would you go there if Cambridge didn't work out?

Thanks.
I haven't applied anywhere else this time. Combination of loving the look of the MPhil I applied for more than anywhere else (sociology of media and culture) and Cambridge's huge studentships/scholarships making it pretty much the only financially viable place I could apply to this year. Assuming I don't get in, going to apply to Cambridge/LSE/Glasgow/Strathclyde next year.
(edited 2 months ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending