The Student Room Group

underpredicted and want to go to cambridge

hi,
my predicted grades are likely A*AAA in maths, physics, fm and chem for studying engineering, for context, i go to a HIGHLY achieving state grammar school where the grade boundary for our chemistry mock was 92% for an A*

now, i got all 9s at gcse and so am definitely someone who works hard and does lots of supercurriculars. although i'm happy to take a gap year, i'm a bit unsure as to whether i stand a chance to even get an interview at cambridge/imperial since i'm a grade below the entry requirement (A*A*A)

Does anyone have any advice? I'm so stressed :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hi,
my predicted grades are likely A*AAA in maths, physics, fm and chem for studying engineering, for context, i go to a HIGHLY achieving state grammar school where the grade boundary for our chemistry mock was 92% for an A*

now, i got all 9s at gcse and so am definitely someone who works hard and does lots of supercurriculars. although i'm happy to take a gap year, i'm a bit unsure as to whether i stand a chance to even get an interview at cambridge/imperial since i'm a grade below the entry requirement (A*A*A)

Does anyone have any advice? I'm so stressed :frown:

Ask your school if they can be increased / what you'd need to do to get higher predicteds?
Ask your school for increased A* for subjects where you only got A, see how many marks you are off (if its 1 or 2 then you have a rlly good chance) and show them a plan to get A* grade, talk to them about how you will achieve this and work really hard to demonstrate your 'effort' for the rest of y12 and start of y13, predicted UCAS grades can always be changed!

Be proactive in class, ask and answer Qs and ask for extension work.
Reply 3
Original post by toothysmile
Ask your school for increased A* for subjects where you only got A, see how many marks you are off (if its 1 or 2 then you have a rlly good chance) and show them a plan to get A* grade, talk to them about how you will achieve this and work really hard to demonstrate your 'effort' for the rest of y12 and start of y13, predicted UCAS grades can always be changed!

Be proactive in class, ask and answer Qs and ask for extension work.

Honestly I've tried but my school is EXTREMELY strict with predicteds i'm aiming for 4A*s in my real alevels but just a bit ****ed off since if I had gone to a different sixth form the outcome would likely be different.

Appreciate the advice though :smile:
Reply 4
Honestly I've tried but my school is EXTREMELY strict with predicteds i'm aiming for 4A*s in my real alevels but just a bit ****ed off since if I had gone to a different sixth form the outcome would likely be different.

Appreciate the advice though :smile:

Why Cambridge though? My 4 x A* students don't choose to apply as there's no year in industry so getting a job is more tricky. I'd avoid Imperial as it's very toxic ...
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Why Cambridge though? My 4 x A* students don't choose to apply as there's no year in industry so getting a job is more tricky. I'd avoid Imperial as it's very toxic ...

I've been going there since I was a kid. I'm aware the course is highly theoretical but I can truly see myself there, not to mention I've spoken to engineering students there who've all said good things!
Reply 6
I've been going there since I was a kid. I'm aware the course is highly theoretical but I can truly see myself there, not to mention I've spoken to engineering students there who've all said good things!

Of course theyll say good things but they'll be behind my students when they come to apply for jobs! The Cambridge degree is not just too theoretical it's out-of-date too.
Original post by Muttley79

how is imperial toxic? im intrigued lol
Reply 8
Original post by marble arch

Terrible student support - some subjects still taught online including Chemistry. It's just an awful place to go ...
Reply 9
Original post by marble arch

my chem teacher said his degree was ranked (he did it ages ago, but he's young so maybe less than 7??) so you had a couple people guaranteed firsts, then everyone else had to scrap over the remaining 2:1s, cus if you get 2:2 you're finished in terms of jobs
is there another subject that you would like to read at Cambridge and has entry grade requirements that you can meet?

please ignore if you are set on engineering :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by beautifulworld
is there another subject that you would like to read at Cambridge and has entry grade requirements that you can meet?

please ignore if you are set on engineering :smile:

Honestly no :frown:
i don't know if Cambridge will accept an application with a grade below the entry requirement

i would still apply to Cambridge and see how they respond

if they reject the application based on the grades, i might retake the exams to score higher

i am not sure if you are in a position to do this
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 13
My advice is to drop one of your subjects and focus on getting your grades in 3 subjects instead.
You get 5 choices. Put Cambridge as one of them and see how you get on.

At the same time apply for yini placements for a gap year and visit your other 4 choices.

If you don’t get a cam offer and you get the grades you hope for yini + reapply to Cambridge.
If you don’t get a can offer and don’t get the grades you hope for then you can still take a gap year with yini but start a degree at one of your other choices either.
Reply 15
Perhaps your school has another set of mocks just b4 oct? Mine does it
Reply 16
Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know if Cambridge will accept an application with a grade below the entry requirement

i would still apply to Cambridge and see how they respond

if they reject the application based on the grades, i might retake the exams to score higher

i am not sure if you are in a position to do this

Yeahh I reckon I can do good in the ENGAA if I apply myself and they've said they give interviews only after they've reviewed ENGAA results. We'll see :smile: if it doesn't work out this year there's always next year lol tyyy
Reply 17
Original post by Imran M
Perhaps your school has another set of mocks just b4 oct? Mine does it

Possibly, but cutting it a but fine since the application deadline is in october
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
You get 5 choices. Put Cambridge as one of them and see how you get on.

At the same time apply for yini placements for a gap year and visit your other 4 choices.

If you don’t get a cam offer and you get the grades you hope for yini + reapply to Cambridge.
If you don’t get a can offer and don’t get the grades you hope for then you can still take a gap year with yini but start a degree at one of your other choices either.

Yeahh thanks I reckon i'll end up doing that!
Reply 19
Original post by Strotty
My advice is to drop one of your subjects and focus on getting your grades in 3 subjects instead.

Appreciate the advice but since I take further maths my school doesn't allow us to drop anything except further maths (totally dumb imo) but yeah I can't drop that since it's a requirement for the eng course and I enjoy it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending