The Student Room Group

GCSE options help?

I am supposed to be choosing GCSE options soon and cannot decide if food prep and photography would be good ones to take? any recommendations?? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

ask
both of them are fine - take what you enjoy for GCSE!
personally, i didnt take food but i was going to. i suppose it depends on the exam board but my friends who took it enjoy it! theres theory, coursework and practical work but if you enjoy it then go for it - i wish i had back in year 9
Reply 4
Original post by randomperson246
personally, i didnt take food but i was going to. i suppose it depends on the exam board but my friends who took it enjoy it! theres theory, coursework and practical work but if you enjoy it then go for it - i wish i had back in year 9

Original post by tinyperson
ask

honestly very good advice, ask your teachers, ask the upper years etc.. and look at the specs and examination process too
Reply 6
hey, so choose them if you really like them! go for it! But try to include a humanity, and a lang for sure :smile:
Choose the one you enjoy most. You could pick both if your school allows you to do that :smile:
Original post by Smallix
hey, so choose them if you really like them! go for it! But try to include a humanity, and a lang for sure :smile:

Why? Please justify your suggestion, as it may just cause the OP unnecessary stress trying to add these
Reply 9
i said *try* to include..
Reply 10
Original post by Smallix

thanks! yeah i was going to take history and double lang aswell :smile:
Original post by Smallix
i said *try* to include..

Exactly, but why? I would not suggest ever doing a language at GCSE unless you enjoy it at KS3 and are relatively good, as for humanities they are good to have but again, I would suggest only taking what you are good at/enjoy for GCSE, not trying to force certain subjects in there.
Reply 12
Original post by rosy_posy
Choose the one you enjoy most. You could pick both if your school allows you to do that :smile:

thankss :smile:
Original post by p :)
thanks! yeah i was going to take history and double lang aswell :smile:

thats amazing :smile:
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Exactly, but why? I would not suggest ever doing a language at GCSE unless you enjoy it at KS3 and are relatively good, as for humanities they are good to have but again, I would suggest only taking what you are good at/enjoy for GCSE, not trying to force certain subjects in there.

it will be helful for their future
Reply 15

I understand what you are saying but sometimes we have to do subjects that will help us in the next stage, even if it’s not even relevant in the future. Languages can be fun (I enjoyed GCSE Spanish) and humanities can also be too (I did RS and geography). Advice- obviously pick a subject that you may continue studying in sixth form/college or will be required for a future course; also pick the subject you know you’ll be motivated to study for. My cousin took photography and she enjoyed it. With food tech, I think it would be like a hobby which would be quite nice as a subject to take if you wanted a subject that doesn’t require many hours of work.😃 I would define you recommend taking a language, it’s a life skill after all!
Original post by aZm16
I understand what you are saying but sometimes we have to do subjects that will help us in the next stage, even if it’s not even relevant in the future. Languages can be fun (I enjoyed GCSE Spanish) and humanities can also be too (I did RS and geography). Advice- obviously pick a subject that you may continue studying in sixth form/college or will be required for a future course; also pick the subject you know you’ll be motivated to study for. My cousin took photography and she enjoyed it. With food tech, I think it would be like a hobby which would be quite nice as a subject to take if you wanted a subject that doesn’t require many hours of work.😃 I would define you recommend taking a language, it’s a life skill after all!

Definitely not saying that taking a language doesn't benefit you, or humanities but however for food tech it is not a "hobby" it is a GCSE course, there is a lot of science involved so do not taking it thinking you can get a 9 while grating some cheese on toast. Understanding theory is 50% of the Food Technology GCSE (AQA)
How is food prep even a GCSE option?
Original post by Greebo85
How is food prep even a GCSE option?

Why shouldn't it be?
Why shouldn't it be?

I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone but I’m really struggling to see how food preparation would be a GCSE subject.

Quick Reply

Latest