The Student Room Group

A-Level Revision

Hi I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hoping to study medicine at university so need to get all A's at A-level. I am currently struggling to achieve these grades. I spent around 15 hours each week doing focused revision. Before I go into each test I feel like I know all of the content. At the start of the year I was achieving the A-A* but my recent tests I have been consistently achieving a B. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my grades. I have listed below my current revision resources/ techniques.
Seneca
Quizlet
Past Exam Q
Active Recall methods
Writing out everything I know and then seeing what I've missed and memorising that
I never cram my revision and spent a lot of time doing it over the course of usually two weeks per test.
I really am not sure what else I should be doing. These techniques worked great for me at GCSE and I had some great results in the end but at A-level it doesn't seem to be working as well.
Thank you everyone!
You have to understand the content ig... practising lots of exam questions is also essential.
Original post by lyd1234567
Hi I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hoping to study medicine at university so need to get all A's at A-level. I am currently struggling to achieve these grades. I spent around 15 hours each week doing focused revision. Before I go into each test I feel like I know all of the content. At the start of the year I was achieving the A-A* but my recent tests I have been consistently achieving a B. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my grades. I have listed below my current revision resources/ techniques.
Seneca
Quizlet
Past Exam Q
Active Recall methods
Writing out everything I know and then seeing what I've missed and memorising that
I never cram my revision and spent a lot of time doing it over the course of usually two weeks per test.
I really am not sure what else I should be doing. These techniques worked great for me at GCSE and I had some great results in the end but at A-level it doesn't seem to be working as well.
Thank you everyone!

A very undervalued resource is your teachers. Ask them why you're getting B's :smile:
If you are at consistent B’s, and seeing no improvements, you need to ask yourself some questions. Why?

Re construct how you approach revision, whether that be your methods or how you answer questions.... It may be that you need to just think about questions differently. I think that you should identify exactly what your issue is, no one here knows what it is nor do your teachers know but you do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CatInTheCorner
A very undervalued resource is your teachers. Ask them why you're getting B's :smile:

They’re undervalued for a reason.
Original post by CaptainDuckie

Oof, sorry for OP then, my teachers were able to really help me work out why I wasn't getting the marks.

Savage.
Oof, sorry for OP then, my teachers were able to really help me work out why I wasn't getting the marks.

Did they help you get your grades you needed in the end ?
Did they help you get your grades you needed in the end ?

Out of the 6 I have, 3 did. The other 3 were catastrophic. I haven't sat A-levels yet, but it's been a lot of self study. Unfortunately, the half way split is in the form of one teacher in each subject being useless, which means a lot of self study for me!
Out of the 6 I have, 3 did. The other 3 were catastrophic. I haven't sat A-levels yet, but it's been a lot of self study. Unfortunately, the half way split is in the form of one teacher in each subject being useless, which means a lot of self study for me!

good luck. everyone has different experiences, I guess.
Reply 10
Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending