The Student Room Group

UNI or Police Constable Degree apprenticeship

I have applied for a Computer science degree at Nottingham (Insurance Choice) and Lancaster (Firm Choice), and also applied to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship), I wanted to ask which one is better, if I do the computer science degree I will be wasting 4 Years with Masters, or if I do the degree apprenticeship I will be earning starting salary 30k and after finishing the apprenticeship 33k, What do you think is better?
Reply 1
Original post by Esingh-2001
I have applied for a Computer science degree at Nottingham (Insurance Choice) and Lancaster (Firm Choice), and also applied to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship), I wanted to ask which one is better, if I do the computer science degree I will be wasting 4 Years with Masters, or if I do the degree apprenticeship I will be earning starting salary 30k and after finishing the apprenticeship 33k, What do you think is better?

It really depends on what you want to achieve. They're 2 completely different fields so the question is really do you want to be a police officer or do you want to work in tech? After answering that then the choice is simple
Reply 2
Original post by Esingh-2001

I think it depends what you are more passionate about. If you want to pursue a career in law enforcement then doing a police constable degree apprenticeship is a very good choice, however if you have slightly different interests and want to pursue a career in software development or anything along those lines then a computer science degree would be very useful. I wouldn't just look at the salary to ultimately make my decision.

I agree that in the modern world, doing a degree apprenticeship brings more benefits then wasting time and money through uni, especially considering the competitive nature of graduate jobs and graduate schemes. University, in my opinion, doesn't do a good enough job preparing graduates for employment. Most uni graduates lack work experience and only know how to read books which makes them unemployable, so by doing a degree apprenticeship you would be ahead of other graduates. My suggestion is to do a degree apprenticeship if circumstances allow you to do so, but make sure that the job and subject you picked is right for you and something you want to do.
Original post by O_O.
It really depends on what you want to achieve. They're 2 completely different fields so the question is really do you want to be a police officer or do you want to work in tech? After answering that then the choice is simple

I like both things, Tech and Police, but I think doing a computer science degree will be a bit of a waste because after graduating I will have to wait for a job which will be around 27k and also there is no guarantee of a job as well
Original post by Gidray
I think it depends what you are more passionate about. If you want to pursue a career in law enforcement then doing a police constable degree apprenticeship is a very good choice, however if you have slightly different interests and want to pursue a career in software development or anything along those lines then a computer science degree would be very useful. I wouldn't just look at the salary to ultimately make my decision.

I agree that in the modern world, doing a degree apprenticeship brings more benefits then wasting time and money through uni, especially considering the competitive nature of graduate jobs and graduate schemes. University, in my opinion, doesn't do a good enough job preparing graduates for employment. Most uni graduates lack work experience and only know how to read books which makes them unemployable, so by doing a degree apprenticeship you would be ahead of other graduates. My suggestion is to do a degree apprenticeship if circumstances allow you to do so, but make sure that the job and subject you picked is right for you and something you want to do.

That's what I'm thinking to do, thank you!! :smile:
wait do you need to do uni or apprentaship to be in the swat team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending