The Student Room Group

PCDA application

Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage applying to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprentiship) with little previous work experience?

I'm currently in sixth form, and the only job I've had was about 3 years ago now. I've found it hard to find jobs and never really needed the money that much.

But the point is, will I be at a disadvantage when applying, since I won't be able to draw on examples/scenarios from my previous jobs? Is it fine to just use other life experiences?

THanks
Reply 1
Original post by 200emabro
Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage applying to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprentiship) with little previous work experience?

I'm currently in sixth form, and the only job I've had was about 3 years ago now. I've found it hard to find jobs and never really needed the money that much.

But the point is, will I be at a disadvantage when applying, since I won't be able to draw on examples/scenarios from my previous jobs? Is it fine to just use other life experiences?

THanks

Which force are you applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
Which force are you applying to?

Essex
Reply 3
Original post by 200emabro
Essex

Essex still has the IPLDP.

If you just want to be a police officer, then definitely do the IPLDP. If you absolutely must have a degree, then sure there's the PCDA, but (1) it's a pain in the butt to do and (2) it's not a particularly worthwhile degree. One of the key issues with PCDA is the amount of work you're trying to do concurrent with being a new police officer. Academic workloads aren't crazy compared to proper uni, but there is stuff to do at a time when your brain is probably full with other things - and there is always the danger that you'll lose interest in the degree because you're arresting people and driving around fast.

Quick Reply