The Student Room Group

PCDA application

Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage applying to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprentiship) with little previous work experience?

I'm currently in sixth form, and the only job I've had was about 3 years ago now. I've found it hard to find jobs and never really needed the money that much.

But the point is, will I be at a disadvantage when applying, since I won't be able to draw on examples/scenarios from my previous jobs? Is it fine to just use other life experiences?

THanks
Reply 1
Original post by 200emabro
Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage applying to the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprentiship) with little previous work experience?

I'm currently in sixth form, and the only job I've had was about 3 years ago now. I've found it hard to find jobs and never really needed the money that much.

But the point is, will I be at a disadvantage when applying, since I won't be able to draw on examples/scenarios from my previous jobs? Is it fine to just use other life experiences?

THanks

Which force are you applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
Which force are you applying to?

Essex
Reply 3
Essex

Essex still has the IPLDP.

If you just want to be a police officer, then definitely do the IPLDP. If you absolutely must have a degree, then sure there's the PCDA, but (1) it's a pain in the butt to do and (2) it's not a particularly worthwhile degree. One of the key issues with PCDA is the amount of work you're trying to do concurrent with being a new police officer. Academic workloads aren't crazy compared to proper uni, but there is stuff to do at a time when your brain is probably full with other things - and there is always the danger that you'll lose interest in the degree because you're arresting people and driving around fast.
THanks

I’ve got tthough to the final interview for the PCDA and the only work experience I’ve had is that I’m a glass collector (which I’ve only done for a year now) and I’m also doing my a levels soon so I reckon if you’ve got good examples and a range of scenarios that you’ve dealt with that you can match to different aspects of the Competencies and Values framework then I reckon you’ll be absolutely fine 👌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending