The Student Room Group

Does anyone relate?:Hard being the smartest

Idk how I’m gonna write this without seeming arrogant but here goes

So like in lessons and all that I’m the guy that ppl would say is the best in the class but I just feel so pressured all the time.

Whenever we get a test it’s like I’m not allowed to have an off day cause ppl r there waiting to laugh if I fail. Honestly I just feel kinda tired with everyone saying I’m like the standard or what they want to be like cause I don’t think I would wish my lifestyle on anybody.

I don’t remember the last time I was genuinely happy with every aspect of my life and it’s like I never get time to make the mistakes that others do or time to learn without being ridiculed

Idk I might be waffling and Srry if I came across as entitled or something but does anyone else feel this way?

Scroll to see replies

no. it isn't that deep. no one cares abt ur grades.
Original post by Anonymous

Its true, the smartest are the most hated - if they're humble they're ok.
I felt like that too throughout secondary school and sixth form. It didn’t help that they ranked the top 10 people in the year group just a few months before GCSE exams either.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I felt like that too throughout secondary school and sixth form. It didn’t help that they ranked the top 10 people in the year group just a few months before GCSE exams either.

what subjects did u do?
for a-level?
Reply 6

op is valid for feeling like that tbh, i remember when i was in school people would laugh or gasp when the smartest kid in the class got something wrong. nobody actually cared for longer than 10 seconds but i understand where op is coming from
Original post by Nish2257
what subjects did u do?

How is that relevant to the thread?
How is that relevant to the thread?

Why does it need to be relevant? There are no rules about it.

It’s a bit odd asking random questions like that.
It’s a bit odd asking random questions like that.

You're odd.
You're odd.

Yes, I know.
I get you 100%, one off day then the class thinks you’re not smart anymore lmao. It’s very much a lot of pressure to hold 🥲
Reply 13

Yes there are, and posting irrelevant comments can (and does) result in moderation action

OP - I was the smart kid in school, but I didn't feel pressure in large part because my parents removed it from the equation. That then became my default mindset and even now I tend not to feel 'pressure' in the way other people do. It is a mindset thing and you can train yourself out of it
(edited 2 years ago)

So like in lessons and all that I’m the guy that ppl would say is the best in the class but I just feel so pressured all the time.

Whenever we get a test it’s like I’m not allowed to have an off day cause ppl r there waiting to laugh if I fail. Honestly I just feel kinda tired with everyone saying I’m like the standard or what they want to be like cause I don’t think I would wish my lifestyle on anybody.

I don’t remember the last time I was genuinely happy with every aspect of my life and it’s like I never get time to make the mistakes that others do or time to learn without being ridiculed

Idk I might be waffling and Srry if I came across as entitled or something but does anyone else feel this way?

Can defo relate to this.
Reply 15
Its true, the smartest are the most hated - if they're humble they're ok.

Since when does simply being smart make anyone hated..? Being a **** about it or thinking youre smarter than others when youre not will.. simply being smart has never gotten anyone ive come across hated, in of itself.
nah if you acc get hurt by ppl laughing at you you defo have no friends. ppl joke about but if you take it seriously, your acc sad

This sounds like the definition of being hot-housed. You make some very good points here, particularly this:

and it’s like I never get time to make the mistakes that others do or time to learn without being ridiculed

It's really important to learn to fail well - plenty of situations will occur in your life when you do fail at something, and how you deal with that failure is a crucial part of your personal development. Do you play any sports or games?
Go to a top university, that should fix it! (big fish small pond thing at A-levels)
Used to feel like that during my GCSE years but it all stopped once I got to A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest