The Student Room Group

feeding ducks/geese?

I went out with my niece and she wanted to feed the ducks/geese. Bread apparently is no good for them and the corn we took they would not eat. What is the best thing to feed ducks/geese when next in park

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kutie Karen
I went out with my niece and she wanted to feed the ducks/geese. Bread apparently is no good for them and the corn we took they would not eat. What is the best thing to feed ducks/geese when next in park

You can buy duck food specifically designed for feeding water birds :smile: You’re right that bread isn’t good for them - it always annoys me how few people seem to know that!
Original post by RushingRiver
You can buy duck food specifically designed for feeding water birds :smile: You’re right that bread isn’t good for them - it always annoys me how few people seem to know that!

ah! where can we get that?

Any local grocery tbh, it’s common in big Tesco and Asda

See above poster, and also online - places like Amazon sell it too :biggrin:
oh I see. I have never knew that this existed, so never looked for it in supermarkets. I will do that. Do the ducks and geese eat it or are they fussy and prefer bread even though it is no good for them. bit like humans and their diet!
oh I see. I have never knew that this existed, so never looked for it in supermarkets. I will do that. Do the ducks and geese eat it or are they fussy and prefer bread even though it is no good for them. bit like humans and their diet!

Haha, as far as I’ve noticed they prefer the duck food since they’re used to being stuffed with bread! I’ve found that they like seeds too if you run out of bird feed :smile:

I’ve never seen ducks/geese/swans/seagulls turn down bird food, they seem to like it :tongue:
Original post by Caring54321
Haha, as far as I’ve noticed they prefer the duck food since they’re used to being stuffed with bread! I’ve found that they like seeds too if you run out of bird feed :smile:

Brilliant. Least I won't be wasting my money and my niece will be happy too. Thanks :smile:
I’ve never seen ducks/geese/swans/seagulls turn down bird food, they seem to like it :tongue:

they did when we fed them corn but were happy with the bread. I thought perhaps they were used to a junk food diet!
they did when we fed them corn but were happy with the bread. I thought perhaps they were used to a junk food diet!

That’s odd :/
If they want food, they usually seem to eat whatever you give them! Not sure why they didn’t like the corn… they should like duck food though, hopefully :yum:
(edited 1 year ago)
That’s odd :/
If they want food, they usually seem to eat whatever you give them! Not sure why they didn’t like the corn… they should like duck food though, hopefully :yum:

Yep we thought that as well. They turned up their beaks at it. we joked they were spoilt and preferred junk food instead that was slowly killing them. Are biscuits bad for them too.
Yep we thought that as well. They turned up their beaks at it. we joked they were spoilt and preferred junk food instead that was slowly killing them. Are biscuits bad for them too.

Biscuits are about the same as bread - little nutritional value for birds and likely to do more harm than good :frown:

Yes :frown: which is sad bc I was chased by a goose when I was snacking on a packet of biscuits lol
Original post by Caring54321
Yes :frown: which is sad bc I was chased by a goose when I was snacking on a packet of biscuits lol

ha ha:biggrin: They are quite aggressive if they are very hungry and will chase you around the park. Great watching kids reactions at this.
Biscuits are about the same as bread - little nutritional value for birds and likely to do more harm than good :frown:

yes you are right. we have done that before but won't anymore, Buying some duck food urgently for our next visit.
yes you are right. we have done that before but won't anymore, Buying some duck food urgently for our next visit.

:woo:
I always gave the ducks some bread crumbs when I fed them. I see nothing wrong with it.
I think you can feed them vegetables such as lettuce.
Original post by Kallisto
I always gave the ducks some bread crumbs when I fed them. I see nothing wrong with it.

Just because you see nothing wrong, doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/keeping-our-ducks-healthy/why-is-bread-bad-for-ducks

Quick Reply

Latest