The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Ducks?

There seem to be ducks at Lancaster Uni and some people love them, others not so much. But I am confused - can you feed them (proper bird food) or not?

Are there any other duck related rules or etiquette Freshers need to know? Are ducks part of the induction?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
There seem to be ducks at Lancaster Uni and some people love them, others not so much. But I am confused - can you feed them (proper bird food) or not?

Are there any other duck related rules or etiquette Freshers need to know? Are ducks part of the induction?

I suspect most people dont give a flying flock about this, you will be on a wing and a prayer to get a sensible answer. It is important that I let you down before you waste any more time on this.

Greg
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
sibling tells me that there are signs around saying not to feed the ducks, but that if you eat outside on campus, they will come and beg for food regardless
(Original post by Anonymous)There seem to be ducks at Lancaster Uni and some people love them, others not so much. But I am confused - can you feed them (proper bird food) or not?

Hi there,
Yes you are correct we have lots of ducks on Lancaster University campus and they're very cute. However students are not allowed to feed them as they are properly take care of by the university. I hope this helps!
Esme (Lancaster University student ambassador).

Hi Anon,

We're not allowed to feed the ducks as they have plenty of duck appropriate food available on campus (you'll often see them searching in the grass for insects and worms). The ducks will come over if you're eating something, but it's important you don't feed them because it can lead to them getting overweight or sick.

Also I remember in first year seeing some new students chasing the ducks which distressed them, so obviously discourage behaviour like this if anyone you know is upsetting the ducks! :smile:

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi Anon,

yes we have quite a few ducks on campus. It is always nice to see the little ducklings too at the right time of year. As others have said students are discouraged from feeding the ducks. They eat their natural food on campus.

Hope this helps!

Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending