The Student Room Group

Physics as level electricity question

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/643867-question-paper-breadth-in-physics.pdf
Question 8 in this paper: The resistances of each resistor is shown. All resistors are made from the same material and have the same diameter the mean drift velocity of the charge carriers in the 100 ohm resistor is v find the mdv of the charge carriers in the 300 ohm resistor.
I couldn’t put a picture of the circuit here, so I attached a link to the paper. I have been stuck with this for a while so any help is appreciated!
I can tell you the correct answer but my exam board doesn't do questions like this so I can't really give you help sorry!
Original post by Jake9920
I can tell you the correct answer but my exam board doesn't do questions like this so I can't really give you help sorry!

Thanks but I already know the answer just don’t know how to get to it
Original post by ironfist3124
Thanks but I already know the answer just don’t know how to get to it

It might have something to do with ratios but I'm not sure - could you ask your teacher?
Original post by Jake9920
It might have something to do with ratios but I'm not sure - could you ask your teacher?

yeah that’s what I tried but i got the wrong answer. not really we are currently off at school before mocks so I won’t see any teachers till mocks
If the question were about current instead of drift velocity, it would be a GCSE level question. The additional knowledge required here is the relationship between current and drift velocity, which if you don't know, you could probably guess correctly.
Original post by Hallouminatus
If the question were about current instead of drift velocity, it would be a GCSE level question. The additional knowledge required here is the relationship between current and drift velocity, which if you don't know, you could probably guess correctly.

yeah I did use current and got 0.4 but I got it for the 200 ohm resistor not the 300 ohm resistor
Original post by ironfist3124
yeah I did use current and got 0.4 but I got it for the 200 ohm resistor not the 300 ohm resistor

Perhaps you were thinking that current is proportional to resistance instead of inversely proportional?

Quick Reply

Latest