The Student Room Group

Brunel vs Manchester vs Liverpool vs Leicester

Hi,

I live in the UK but I have international fee status, and will be starting uni this year.
I have applied for computer science. I got offers from these universities-
Uni of Manchester - £26000pa
Uni of liverpool- around £23000pa
Uni of Leicester - £16500 pa after scholarship
Brunel - £14000pa after scholarships

I have not included living costs in these, there will be no accommodation costs for Brunel because if I go there then I will be staying at home.

As you can see there is a big gap in tuition fees between these options, it would be great if I would get some help in deciding.
Thanks
The main question is: can you afford it? If so - where would you want to go? I.e. a heavily populated area or a quiet one. Then, you would factor in cost of living etc. Work through a list of things - this list should include whether you like the course and if it's suitable for you.
Original post by gtty123
The main question is: can you afford it? If so - where would you want to go? I.e. a heavily populated area or a quiet one. Then, you would factor in cost of living etc. Work through a list of things - this list should include whether you like the course and if it's suitable for you.

I don’t really have a preference between a heavily populated area or a quiet one, both would have their benefits. I would love to go Manchester but frankly it is too expensive and will put a lot of financial strain on me and my family if I go there, so I am not sure if its worth it. The most affordable one is Brunel because less fees and no accommodation cost but I have heard conflicting opinions about the university, although a lot of people have told me that engineering and cs courses are good there. But I am still having trouble deciding. Basically, I am asking if going to Brunel would be a good decision.
Original post by themadtitan
I don’t really have a preference between a heavily populated area or a quiet one, both would have their benefits. I would love to go Manchester but frankly it is too expensive and will put a lot of financial strain on me and my family if I go there, so I am not sure if its worth it. The most affordable one is Brunel because less fees and no accommodation cost but I have heard conflicting opinions about the university, although a lot of people have told me that engineering and cs courses are good there. But I am still having trouble deciding. Basically, I am asking if going to Brunel would be a good decision.

If you think what Brunel offers is good for you, you should go there. Reading reviews is good, but shouldn't be taken 100%. Simply because where one person hated it, another will have liked it.
Would your fee status change in the future? Any reason not to look at apprenticeships?
Original post by ajj2000
Would your fee status change in the future? Any reason not to look at apprenticeships?

I won't be able to change my fee status after I start my course. It won't change next year as well, so no point in taking a second gap year(I already took one). I am still reviewing my options for apprenticeships but my options are limited as I am not eligible for any which are government funded. But I am still looking into it.
Man if it wasn't for the financial constraints I could Imagine you'd have firmed Manchester in an instant. Brunel is alright though. Uxbridge isn't the best though, but it ain't too bad but I'm sure you already know that.
Brunel and Leicester are not so good compared to manchester. Leicester students will insist they're RG caliber, but suffer the same problems as all other RG but without the benefits of RG either. So it just sucks, and no one knows what a Brunel is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending