The Student Room Group

Ed excel Chemistry A2 12th June, Wednesday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by MrProff
There was some stuff on that crazy long chemical..Sodium Hydrogenethanedioic acid maybe?

I think with that the thing was it would have only donated one H+ in equilibria cos the other side was a methanoate group so wouldnt have affected it?

Yes it is and if u use dioic u will have two H+ donated. So u have to times H+ conc by two which would not be right coz that acid is weak so it dissociates only slightly hence we would be overestimating the pH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by AS01
Yes it is and if u use dioic u will have two H+ donated. So u have to times H+ conc by two which would not be right coz that acid is weak so it dissociates only slightly hence we would be overestimating the pH

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems about right! :^_^:
Reply 222
Original post by MrProff
Seems about right! :^_^:

Did u get first order and Ea as 38kJmol-1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by AS01
Did u get first order and Ea as 38kJmol-1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

on the last question?
Reply 224
Original post by MrProff
on the last question?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225

I got around 414000 Jmol-1 so yeah 41.4KJ but its all down to gradient so seems right
Reply 226
Original post by MrProff
I got around 414000 Jmol-1 so yeah 41.4KJ but its all down to gradient so seems right

Cool! Btw that dioic acid was asking us to compare with salt right? Rather than ethanoic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that was a strange exam, the entropy questions were nice and the pH stuff was alright. Not too sure I liked all the mechanism stuff though.
Reply 228
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Well that was a strange exam, the entropy questions were nice and the pH stuff was alright. Not too sure I liked all the mechanism stuff though.

Ikr! That paper was weird!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AS01
Ikr! That paper was weird!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Frankly, I would have prefered to have done the Jan 2013 paper again. :s-smilie:

What "method" did people put for the Section C question about measuring the concentration of iodine and why was the S2O82- in excess?
Reply 230
Frankly, I would have prefered to have done the Jan 2013 paper again. :s-smilie:

What "method" did people put for the Section C question about measuring the concentration of iodine and why was the S2O82- in excess?

Same! Colorimetry and it's coz it reacts with iodine and gives better result coz it makes sure that if iodine which is present in more amount than the conc of thiosulphate then the solution changes color straight away. I didnt write this lol I asked my teacher and she said that's what is thiosulphate for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AS01
Same! Colorimetry and it's coz it reacts with iodine and gives better result coz it makes sure that if iodine which is present in more amount than the conc of thiosulphate then the solution changes color straight away. I didnt write this lol I asked my teacher and she said that's what is thiosulphate for

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I thought about colorimetry and then just went with a running titration (stupidly) after I thought the first example was a colorimtry experiment.

I said it had a much high concentration/volume so it was in excess and didn't act as a limiting factor during the experiment. :s-smilie:
Reply 232
Ah, I thought about colorimetry and then just went with a running titration (stupidly) after I thought the first example was a colorimtry experiment.

I said it had a much high concentration/volume so it was in excess and didn't act as a limiting factor during the experiment. :s-smilie:

It was iodine clock reaction
Yeah I thought the same I even put it donates S2O3 2- ion but then later I was like no! That doesnt make sense! And wrote something about precise colour and all but I wrote it reacts with IODIDE ion!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Original post by AS01
Cool! Btw that dioic acid was asking us to compare with salt right? Rather than ethanoic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure, pretty sure it was though!

I put colorimetry because it said without sampling, so that means you couldn't do a titration right?
has anyone done an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by MrProff
Im not sure, pretty sure it was though!

I put colorimetry because it said without sampling, so that means you couldn't do a titration right?

Yeah, I should have stuck with my initial reaction in all honesty.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=43131557

If I can get a copy of the paper then we can try. :smile:
Could the grade boundaries for a B possibly be below 60/90 ? :colondollar:
The second mcq, the one that asked why 2 methyl propanoic acid had lower entropy, was it a? Because it had lower bp?

Also, I wrote units for activation energy as J :s will I lose marks because I didn't write j/mol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randyaloul
The second mcq, the one that asked why 2 methyl propanoic acid had lower entropy, was it a? Because it had lower bp?

Also, I wrote units for activation energy as J :s will I lose marks because I didn't write j/mol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was more ways of distributing energy or whatever. Because that's what entropy is all about... the most disorder or in other words the most ways of distributing energy

Sorry, I think you would... they did specifically ask for units. I really screwed that one up I think I got 500 something...
Reply 239
Original post by randyaloul

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm u might. Look on other paper where they asked to work out Ea and see if they penalise u for wrong unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending