Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizziec02
I know University looks so nice!!!
Thanks for the info about Butler, it's great to hear from people who have lived there. I'm glad its a good atmosphere!! Yeh I think I would be alright because I would be surrounded by a lively atmosphere but if it got too much then i'd probably just spend the day in the city or something.

Yeh I was looking into all the catered colleges and i'm not going to rule them out completely because they do look very nice. Gotta keep an open mind, that way if i got an offer and not accepted into Butler it won't be such a daunting prospect going to another college!!!

St John's and St Chad's are the smaller colleges aren't they? This may sound sill but how do they select college applications? Is it on a first come first served basis?

Thanks again this thread has been a lifesaver!!

Yes they are the smallest colleges but they are really nice I went to both of there open days and it was just amazing! Ermm yes it is really a first come first served basis that's why it's best to send you'e application as quick as possible then you will have a better chance of getting the college you want :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Thanks this has really helped! Woah didn't realise the gym was so cheap, and as a regular gym goer that's such a benefit!
Yeh I've heard a lot about the music in Durham and i'm quite into that sort of stuff.
With regards to the building work and it being relatively new I don't think that would be much of an issue for me. I'm more about the people who are there! Although if I can hear the constant sound of drilling from my room then that might get on my nerves a bit!!

Are you thinking of any other colleges? I was thinking about Cuth's Society as they do self catering but they are less formal and I quite like the idea of being somewhere more traditional. Although I read that one college has them twice a week? (I think I've read that right) That'd be too much, I don't think my stomach could handle 2 3 course meals every week!!!

I had a look at St Mary's which had an amazing dining hall and very spacious rooms, but got put off it when I saw the state of the shared bathroom :tongue:

I think University is the one with two formal dinners maybe? It's the oldest so I think it would probably be the most traditional.

I didn't get the chance to go to any of the others, but Cuthbert's does look great! I like how it gives you the option of self-catering, but you can also have dinner prepared by them if you don't have time to cook one evening. It may be quite expensive though.
Original post by Swifty139
GCSE -> 10A*'s 2A's

AS: (Bold taking to A2)
Maths - A
Further Maths - A
French - A
Physics - A
Classical Civilization - B
General Studies - A

Average of 87.7% UMS in subjects taking to A2

I want to apply for Maths (European Studies) which is A*AA, what do you think my chances would be? Especially considering if I want to resit a F.Maths module (I got 63/100 UMS) and possibly a French module (scraped an A so want to resit to be safe)

I believe you would have a very good chance man :biggrin: What college you looking to apply too?
Original post by Mrich454
I believe you would have a very good chance man :biggrin: What college you looking to apply too?

I haven't really thought about that, i'd prefer Self Catered though but I'm really unsure :P

About admission, for maths they went UMS for all your modules which for me was:
97, 94, 97, 100, 85 and 63

The 85 and 63 being in M1 and M2. I'm unsure whether they will just look at the fact I suck at mechanics and write me off (even though I want to resit) or they will notice I did fairly well in core and stats!
GCSEs: 3A*'s, 4A's, 3B's
AS-Levels: AABcc (both c's are being dropped and also pending remarks)
I want to study computer science which requires AAA
I have a long-term illness which affected my performance at AS-Level

Do you think I stand a chance?
Original post by ryanroks1
GCSEs: 3A*'s, 4A's, 3B's
AS-Levels: AABcc (both c's are being dropped and also pending remarks)
I want to study computer science which requires AAA
I have a long-term illness which affected my performance at AS-Level

Do you think I stand a chance?

Yes you do stand a very good chance especially with you having illness problems which they take into consideration. Hope that helped :biggrin:
Reply 226
GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
A- Levels:
Biology
Chemistry
English Literature
History

Hopefully applying for law :smile:
Hiya, I got 2 A*s, 4 A's, 3 B's and a C at GCSE
Just got my AS results, which were AAAA in History, English Literature, Business Studies and Drama. I am dropping drama when I go back.

I want to do history, but I know I've only got 2 facilitating subjects and with a university such as Durham I'm not sure where they stand on that? I go to a private school and its been drilled into us (so much in fact I think its affected people) that the best universities only want facilitating subjects. History was my highest A by 10 marks, and the others were on the lower end of A grade.
I've got a lot to put on my personal statement, but not sure its enough. Can anyone offer any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

Hey! So I want to do Biological Sciences and I'm doing Biology, Geography and Art at A2. I was kinda worried that this might be an issue so I emailed Durham and they said they only care that I have Biology and another science (Geog) so my third didn't matter!

I assume it will be the same for History. :smile:
Reply 228
My GCSEs are A*A*A*A*AAABBB
AS's:
English A
Drama A
Psychology A
Art A
I want to do English, really not sure where to start with colleges, St Chads looks nice but haven't visited anywhere. I am really into performing so if anyone knows colleges that have a good theatre society or anything that would be helpful! :smile:
Reply 229
I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out! I'd really like to apply to Durham to study History for 2016 entry, but I'm worried my AS results aren't good enough. Last year I achieved 9 A*s and 3 A's at GCSE which I was really happy with. However this year I achieved the following in my AS's:
History - A
Art - A
Maths - B
English Lit - B
I was achieving A's in maths all year so I was particularly disappointed with a B, and I completely messed up a huge chunk of my English exam. I'm 8 UMS off an A in both maths and English which is frustrating. I'm not sure which subject to drop yet because I initially planned to drop art with the expectation of achieving higher in maths/English but I managed to get 200/200 UMS in art so definitely keeping it on! Does anyone know if Durham will accept art as a third A level alongside two traditionally academic subjects? Thanks in advance for any help!! 😊
Hi FSe197 - I'm sure offers will depend on many other factors, but for the record, I got into Durham two years ago to study Modern Languages with Art as a third A Level. So I certainly don't think they discount it as a subject out of hand :-)
Reply 231
Original post by tabbyboyd
Hi FSe197 - I'm sure offers will depend on many other factors, but for the record, I got into Durham two years ago to study Modern Languages with Art as a third A Level. So I certainly don't think they discount it as a subject out of hand :-)

Thank you so much, that's such a relief!!
Original post by FSel97
I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out! I'd really like to apply to Durham to study History for 2016 entry, but I'm worried my AS results aren't good enough. Last year I achieved 9 A*s and 3 A's at GCSE which I was really happy with. However this year I achieved the following in my AS's:
History - A
Art -
Maths - B
English Lit - B
I was achieving A's in maths all year so I was particularly disappointed with a B, and I completely messed up a huge chunk of my English exam. I'm 8 UMS off an A in both maths and English which is frustrating. I'm not sure which subject to drop yet because I initially planned to drop art with the expectation of achieving higher in maths/English but I managed to get 200/200 UMS in art so definitely keeping it on! Does anyone know if Durham will accept art as a third A level alongside two traditionally academic subjects? Thanks in advance for any help!! 😊

Hey! Okay so I was literally worried about the exact same thing (except for biological sciences) and so I emailed Durham and this is what they replied:

"When we look at those students of ours who achieved first class honours on graduation and checked back what their third A level was on entry, the single subject which was most likely to predict a first was…..Fine Art. Pick the one that you are most interested in, for that is the one which you are most likely to invest time and energy into - and probably get a better grade at the end of it. If that is Art, then we would be happy with that."

I thought it was interesting and certainly relaxed me! Hope it helps.
Reply 233
Original post by Eve97337
Hey! Okay so I was literally worried about the exact same thing (except for biological sciences) and so I emailed Durham and this is what they replied:

"When we look at those students of ours who achieved first class honours on graduation and checked back what their third A level was on entry, the single subject which was most likely to predict a first was…..Fine Art. Pick the one that you are most interested in, for that is the one which you are most likely to invest time and energy into - and probably get a better grade at the end of it. If that is Art, then we would be happy with that."

I thought it was interesting and certainly relaxed me! Hope it helps.

Ah thank you so much I'm so relieved! I was going to email Durham and the few other unis I'm interested in to find out, but I'm so glad you've posted this I'm no longer stressing about subject choices!! Will definitely enjoy this year much more taking A2 art and fingers crossed can aim for an A*! Thank you 😊
GCSE
A*A*A*AAAAAAAA

AS (bold are going to A2)
English Lit A
Drama A
Maths A
Further Maths B (self-taught)
Classical Civilisation C (everyone in my class under-performed, it seems)

I'll be applying to do English, and although I'm a little worried about Drama having a 'rep' as a softie, I'm hoping my tutor will play the "97% UMS in English" card somewhere in my reference :wink:
Reply 235
Do Durham see UMS?
help from any law applicants!

I want to apply for law and wanted your opinion on my chances.

gcse: 3A* 6A
A-LEVEL: A*AA
Original post by abdulmilad
help from any law applicants!

I want to apply for law and wanted your opinion on my chances.

gcse: 3A* 6A
A-LEVEL: A*AA

With a relevant personal statement it looks like you have a very solid application! Good luck! :smile:

I'm also thinking about applying to Durham for Law. Already finished A2 with A*A*A. However I only got a C in Extended Project, would it be worth putting it on the application? Worried about it showing lack of effort or something.
Original post by Killane
With a relevant personal statement it looks like you have a very solid application! Good luck! :smile:

I'm also thinking about applying to Durham for Law. Already finished A2 with A*A*A. However I only got a C in Extended Project, would it be worth putting it on the application? Worried about it showing lack of effort or something.

In all honesty i dont think they give a sh!t about anything besides your A-levels. I say so because i phones the unis and they dont dont it into account during admissions process. And also i know someone who got A*AA but a D in extended project yet is now studying in kings college london (he also had offers from bristol and bermingham)
Original post by abdulmilad
In all honesty i dont think they give a sh!t about anything besides your A-levels. I say so because i phones the unis and they dont dont it into account during admissions process. And also i know someone who got A*AA but a D in extended project yet is now studying in kings college london (he also had offers from bristol and bermingham)

Ah makes sense! Do you know if he bothered putting it onto his UCAS application? I guess it doesn't matter either way haha

Quick Reply

Latest