The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProNick
I'm aiming to send my application off tomorrow but still stuck on whether to apply for Warwick. I think it could be a huge gamble
Msc BSc graduate but only UKCAT 665 average and VR was by far the lowest with 560.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I might not apply, got same overall average as you, and same VR score. Gutted! But with your masters I'm sure you have a greater chance of being considered. So go ahead ! :smile:
Reply 2401
Original post by ProNick
I'm aiming to send my application off tomorrow but still stuck on whether to apply for Warwick. I think it could be a huge gamble
Msc BSc graduate but only UKCAT 665 average and VR was by far the lowest with 560.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where else were you planning to apply?
Time to start writing the personal statement, then...
Still not sure where to apply. 745 UKCAT, (680 VR). BSc. 2.i in Chemistry. - thinking Kings, Warwick, Cambridge, and ?. Not sure on where to put 4th.....
Original post by Alexdaman93
Time to start writing the personal statement, then...
Still not sure where to apply. 745 UKCAT, (680 VR). BSc. 2.i in Chemistry. - thinking Kings, Warwick, Cambridge, and ?. Not sure on where to put 4th.....

Newcastle/soton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, I am applying to Nottingham and st Georges GEM. I am currently trying to fill in my UCAS application. In the choices section I have successfully added the universities and graduate courses however I am now in the education section and it doesn't seem to want to let me add my university undergraduate course; it is only offering school/colleges? Any help?!
Hi everybody! Sorry if this has already been answered this year but I couldn't find the answer anywhere...

Which UCAS fee code are we supposed to choose for GEM? Private finance, student finance services or DH/regional health?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Currently writing my personal statement... When writing about work experience, have you mentioned specific medical cases you observed and what you've learned from them or just what you've learnt from the work experience overall? Thanks
Original post by Clunkles
Newcastle/soton?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, it's between them and Queen Mary's, I think.
Original post by Alexdaman93
Yeh, it's between them and Queen Mary's, I think.

I'm in a similar situation: 747.5 UKCAT (820 VR), 1st in Physiology and Pharmacology but I don't have the work exp for Warwick :'(
I'm applying for Newcastle, Kings, Soton and Barts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoeADeer
Currently writing my personal statement... When writing about work experience, have you mentioned specific medical cases you observed and what you've learned from them or just what you've learnt from the work experience overall? Thanks

It depends on what you learnt from the observations, if there was a specific case that really stood out to you and taught you new things then definitely mention it (in my opinion) as it will help add some personality to your statement otherwise just write what you learnt overall if there wasn't an interesting stand out case.
Anyone know what the Vr cut off for Warwick was last year? And the work experience does payed employment count or is it strictly voluntary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
Anyone know what the Vr cut off for Warwick was last year? And the work experience does payed employment count or is it strictly voluntary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

VR was 570 last year, it's just the national mean, will be national mean again this year according to their site.

Any work experience counts in a caring environment counts AFAIK.
Original post by pharma21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Above the mean for the year I believe, which was 571 last year.
And they take voluntary and/or paid work experience. :smile:
Thank you both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2414
I've seen a couple of people on here saying they think the averages will be higher this year, is that the general feeling?I swear decision analysis must have gone down! And VR cant be that much higher?
Original post by elzw
I've seen a couple of people on here saying they think the averages will be higher this year, is that the general feeling?I swear decision analysis must have gone down! And VR cant be that much higher?

Only 5 more days until we know ...
Reply 2416
Original post by HanaGEM
Only 5 more days until we know ...

eep i know i'm just so bad for overanalysing ha. Are you planning on applying for a backup 5 year course?
On Bristols website they state " Graduate applicants will generally be expected to have gained at least 4 months of work experience in a caring role in a health care environment, which must have included patient contact." Does anyone know whether this applies to students in their third year of their undergrad degree?? Because I can't see when you would have time to work for 4 months whilst studying :s-smilie:
Original post by DoeADeer

I wrote about a caesarean I saw, mainly for the huge multidisciplinary team involved and how I saw it being managed. Then wrote about how I've exhibited these skills in other areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elzw

From that data I've collected from TSR, I'm expecting the average to be slightly lower than last year. Like you said, people seem to be scoring worse in VR and DA, but slightly better than previous years in QR; I'm thinking the net impact will a slight decrease in the mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending