The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bullseye1
You said "determinism can be used for anything" so you didn't make that very clear did you? If determinism can be used for bio and non-bio theories, then the social learning theory is a non-bio theory and therefore you're arguing you can use it for that.

Ffs do you take everything literally? I would imagine you have some common sense if the ida point isnt applicable you wouldnt put it woud you? Gender bias can be used for everything so can culture doesnt mean youre going to put in all essays if it isnt relevant.

Some people think reductionism can be used for non bio theories which is wrong which is why i clarified saying it can only be used for bio theoires, HOWEVER determinism CAN be used for bio and non bio theories.

Did i say you have to? Or it SHOULD be? No! I said CAN meaning if its applicable and appropriate you can use it for bio and non bio. Use some common sense why would i tell people to use something that doesnt fit or is inappropriate to use?
If the sleep topic had practical coursework i would get A*****
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
No reductionism can only be used when talking about bio factors as examiners have stressed anything else isnt correct, for others you have to use the term limited.

Can I say it's oversimplified? Or my teacher said 'environmental reductionist'?
Ffs do you take everything literally? I would imagine you have some common sense if the ida point isnt applicable you wouldnt put it woud you? Gender bias can be used for everything so can culture doesnt mean youre going to put in all essays if it isnt relevant.

Some people think reductionism can be used for non bio theories which is wrong which is why i clarified saying it can only be used for bio theoires, HOWEVER determinism CAN be used for bio and non bio theories.

Did i say you have to? Or it SHOULD be? No! I said CAN meaning if its applicable and appropriate you can use it for bio and non bio. Use some common sense why would i tell people to use something that doesnt fit or is inappropriate to use?

That was literally my point, I was challenging you when you said you could use determinism for anything, when like you say with your examples, in some cases it would be a very weak point that is not very relevant. All I was doing was confirming what you said so that people on here who go looking for help about IDA don't read your vague comment and assume that, like you said, you can apply determinism to anything, which is not advisable and bad advice.
Original post by Nicobella12
Can I say it's oversimplified? Or my teacher said 'environmental reductionist'?

Dont know about environmental reductionist but oversimplified yes but i would use limited.
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Quick question
With this stolen exam paper business how does this actually happen? where are these AQA vans?
I thought the exam papers would be at the schools way before the exam... does the student steal the papers from the school or from the actual AQA van?

Did people steal this years psy paper as well?
That was literally my point, I was challenging you when you said you could use determinism for anything, when like you say with your examples, in some cases it would be a very weak point that is not very relevant. All I was doing was confirming what you said so that people on here who go looking for help about IDA don't read your vague comment and assume that, like you say, you can apply determinism to anything, which is wrong and not advisable.

Not really im pretty sure anyone with common sense would realise that by everything doesnt mean if it doesnt fit you can use it....

No one has assumed that besides you... The context was reductionism being misinformed and assuming it can be used for non bio which is wrong. Which is why i said you can use determinism for anything meaning any theory, this doesnt mean if its not appropriate you can use it still has to be, no one has interpreted that way besides you.
Does anyone have a good A/A* essay on psy explanation of SZ? If so, would you mind to PM it to me I can send you my essays on media, notes on research methods if you want !! THANKS!!
does anyone have a model answers on factors that influence attitudes to eating behaviour. its the only essay I'm struggling with thanks
Original post by кяя
That's all I basically have, maybe I go on a bit too much lol.
I took E-S theory out because it was taking up too much space and I'm unlikely to remember it.

Also I love your username :biggrin:

I kept E-S as there was 2, E-S and Tend and befriend and Tend and befriend seemed a lot harder to remember with little A02. E-S is pretty simple, Empathy women and S for systematizing men and talk a little mumbo jumbo in a nice way and theres a clean paragraph. And 2 free A02 points. But as long as you got it, that's great! I'd be pretty damn happy if this came up lol.

Thanks, I made the account just for this thread, I hate psychology because I thought you required some thinking rather than being a copy and paste essay memorising subject. I should have picked maths -_-
(edited 7 years ago)
Not really im pretty sure anyone with common sense would realise that by everything doesnt mean if it doesnt fit you can use it....

No one has assumed that besides you... The context was reductionism being misinformed and assuming it can be used for non bio which is wrong. Which is why i said you can use determinism for anything meaning any theory, this doesnt mean if its not appropriate you can use it still has to be, no one has interpreted that way besides you.

Not necessarily, if you were looking for advice and you read that comment, you'd be very mislead by it. Yeah I know it is, and what's the point in saying you can use determinism for any theory, but actually you shouldn't, your point is just confusing. In the mark schemes it says you have to use IDA "effectively" and show understanding, and for some theories you wouldn't get marks for saying determinism because it is irrelevant. Therefore why say you can use it for anything, if you can't and shouldn't? All I was doing is clarifying your point, and afterwards you changed your mind about what you said, so clearly your comment was wrong. Yeah or no one who's commented has interpreted it that way but me...
Original post by charanjittt
does anyone have a model answers on factors that influence attitudes to eating behaviour. its the only essay I'm struggling with thanks

I wouldn't say model but I'd lay it out as
Social learning theory from Parents, Media.
Then Culture with Ethnicity and Social class.
I think that's enough. Then A02. I haven't memorised it yet so I can't write the exact points right now lol.
Original post by Can't think name
Did people steal this years psy paper as well?

No no I hope not
Just asking in general x
Not necessarily, if you were looking for advice and you read that comment, you'd be very mislead by it. Yeah I know it is, and what's the point in saying you can use determinism for any theory, but actually you shouldn't, your point is just confusing. In the mark schemes it says you have to use IDA "effectively" and show understanding, and for some theories you wouldn't get marks for saying determinism because it is irrelevant. Therefore why say you can use it for anything, if you can't and shouldn't? All I was doing is clarifying your point, and afterwards you changed your mind about what you said, so clearly your comment was wrong. Yeah or no one who's commented has interpreted it that way but me...

Can you not understand comprehension.... I said you can use determinism for any theory because people thought you could use reductionism for any theory which is why i said determinism CAN, fs CAN where did i say SHOULD.... If it isnt appropriate im pretty sure people arent going to use, but obviously you clearly dont have much common sense. I didnt change my mind about anything

AQA "All explanations/theories inpsychology are determinist, as they are trying to explain the reason people do things." But do go on and tell me how youre trying to clarify MY POINT, ffs.
Reply 2514
Original post by Nicobella12
Does anyone know if you can use reductionism when referring to cognitive essays?

You can just say that cognitive approaches are reducing behaviours down to cognitive explanations when in fact there are other credible explanations, e.g. biological.
Original post by IHatePsychology
I wouldn't say model but I'd lay it out as
Social learning theory from Parents, Media.
Then Culture with Ethnicity and Social class.
I think that's enough. Then A02. I haven't memorised it yet so I can't write the exact points right now lol.

wouldn't culture be part of social learning theory?
What would be ur favourite essay for sleep, relationships n eating disorder? Mine would be attitudes to eating now, formation of relationships n circadian rhythm
can you get good marks on a 24 mark question if you just use sports/xenophobia? or will you have to use two examples (sorry if this has already been answered)
Reply 2518
Aggression predictions?
Original post by BMLFW
You can just say that cognitive approaches are reducing behaviours down to cognitive explanations when in fact there are other credible explanations, e.g. biological.

Reducing wouldnt be appropriate limited is the term to use for non bio theories

Latest

Trending

Trending