Scroll to see replies

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Brown
Reply 241
Original post by adam0311
I was being sarcastic. Clearly manboy didn't pickup on the fact that he is changing his story.

Ah seen.

I just can't stand it when people slag off other universities and I think it's even more ridiculous not only to do that to a group of universities viewed as world-leaders in academic education but given that it's coming from the fingertips of a 14 year old school boy in "Asia" whose idea of being a success in life is to win at least 15 Nobel Prizes, cure Cancer and be a stock broker all at the same time, well that's how seriously you can take them.

Sure I could pick my words a little better but in terms of the opinions I offer they're based on experiences of the higher education system and of having family study not just in the UK and the US but around the world and anyone would be silly to suggest a Cambridge graduate would be passed over a Harvard graduate and vice versa based on university name.

Once you reach a certain level/threshold, university name isn't given so much of a second's notice. How on Earth can you say a Harvard graduate is superiour professionally and academically to a Cambridge graduate or an Oxford graduate to a Yale graduate? That's just ridiculous and it's going back to an archaic way of thinking that was very much the norm in 17th/18th Century Britain and in the early days of American society when higher education was reserved only for the super rich upper-classes who in some respects weren't particularly intelligent but nevertheless still got to gulp jugs of Pimms at Trinity College Cambridge or play Lacrosse at Yale with a future president.

American universities do rank higher but that's because they have a larger financial endowment to fund their research given that most of the "top" universities are private and charge ridiculous amounts for tuition which would make the imminent rise in fees in the UK look like a weekly shopping from Lidl (a very cheap discount supermarket in the UK and Europe for those who don't know).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 242
Harvard,
Princeton
Yale university,
Columbia
Stanford

BUT columbia i don't agree, and put dartmouth in it's place.
Reply 243
Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley
i only really hear about US universities through there sports, so the ones i hear most often are:
The U (Miami)
UCLA
Duke
University of North Carolina
Princeton (Only because of Carlton from fresh prince :tongue:
Reply 245
Original post by adam0311
Bro you're hilarious. Agree 100 percent.

Too bad manboy will be burnt alive by Uncle Wong for going to a TTT dump in New Haven. Maybe had he gone to Oxbridge, Uncle Wong would have only taken a leg.

It really is true though. I have never heard anything so ridiculous.

I mean how on Earth can you differentiate between Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard and MIT when they truly are the best of the best?

That's like trying to find a number larger than infinity.

And I don't think any parent would hold their kids in shame for not getting into one over the other or any of those named above. They are just 4 institutions out of 1000s world wide and it would be impossible to give every suitably qualified applicant a place at Cambridge, you'd need an entrie city just to house one academic building.

Yeah I know the Asian culture, some want their kids to be medics or do engineering or study at Cambridge but that really is a stereotype and has fast gone out of fashion in this day and age and most parents would be proud aslong as their kids are fulfilling their academic potential to the best way they possibly can and that doesn't mean having to go to just Harvard or Oxford.

People have very successful career and happy lives attending other universities. And correct me if I'm wrong but Richard Branson didn't even complete secondary school and he hasn't done too bad for himself has he?
Original post by Malcolm-X
…..

LOL.

So wait, the base logic to the start of your argument is that, one is indicative of their usernames on an ANONYMOUS INTERNET FORUM?! I assume you're Malcolm X in that case? :rolleyes:

If there is logic more retarded than that out there, then so help the human race. As for the rest of your post, its full frankly with the same asinine logic. For example, if you read my posts, you would have seen me explicitly say that IB/MC firms don't care (bar quant, strat and trading roles) what you studied at university; university rank matters a hell of lot in these fields, and I'd hazard a guess I know a lot more about them despite you being a "4th year medical student".

Stick to making comments more on par with your IQ bruv; wagwan innit11!!1!1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford...
Reply 248
Original post by manchild007

LOL.

So wait, the base logic to the start of your argument is that, one is indicative of their usernames on an ANONYMOUS INTERNET FORUM?! I assume you're Malcolm X in that case? :rolleyes:

If there is logic more retarded than that out there, then so help the human race. As for the rest of your post, its full frankly with the same asinine logic. For example, if you read my posts, you would have seen me explicitly say that IB/MC firms don't care (bar quant, strat and trading roles) what you studied at university; university rank matters a hell of lot in these fields, and I'd hazard a guess I know a lot more about them despite you being a "4th year medical student".

Stick to making comments more on par with your IQ bruv; wagwan innit11!!1!1.

Actually no I don't think you know an awful lot more about it than I do given that you probably aren't even at university.

And as for the "wagwan" I actually find that quite offensive to Asians and Afro-Carribeans.

And I know of cases of candidates in major positions at top firms in the City and on Wall Street who didn't necessarily go to Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard. There are plenty from the likes of UCL, NYU, and shock horror I know someone from Sheffield working in a front office job with a big Investment Bank in the city. I also know of a medical student who studied at Edinburgh who works for a big company on Wall Street, yes in AMERICA! I may have a low IQ but it's certainly much higher than yours if all this crap you're saying is what you genuinely believe. You haven't got a clue of how the world works.

You are just some stuck up pretentious, rude and foul mouthed, racist little brat. I'd be surprised if you ever went to university.

Shouldn't you be going back to piano practice? Won't Daddy Ping smack you if you can't play all of Bach's works by morning?

Tell Ling-Ling I said hi by the way :wink:

PS. I'm not being racist merely responding to the "wagwan" and "bruv" "innit" remarks made which were no doubt made with some racial, stereotypical connotations in mind.
(edited 13 years ago)
…...

Let me put two thigns straight here, both of which destroy any argument you can put forward;

- Considering you classified banking as a homogenous field in your earlier post, tells me you don't even know what different roles their are within FO, let alone what the requirements are for each. Moreover, considering my father is actually a partner at a pretty well-known PE firm (granted not IB but HF/PE are one in the same on the whole), and considering I've been interning within the field for the past 2/3 years during summers etc, I think I just may know a lot more than you. Oh and please feel free to quote me wherever I said that ONLY PEOPLE FROM XYZ UNIVERSITY GET AND WORK IN BANKING/MC - oh that's right, you can't, b/c your simply putting words in other peoples mouths given your own failed argument is already showing :rolleyes:

- As for the racial slurring, do you honestly have any ground to stand-on here, or are you simply showing your moronic hypocrisy again? Within your first reply you brought up racial stereotypes, so save the "I was just responding to you" nonsense you bigot. Alrighty blud.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 250
Let me put two thigns straight here, both of which destroy any argument you can put forward;

- Considering you classified banking as a homogenous field in your earlier post, tells me you don't even know what different roles their are within FO, let alone what the requirements are for each. Moreover, considering my father is actually a partner at a pretty well-known PE firm (granted not IB but HF/PE are one in the same on the whole), and considering I've been interning within the field for the past 2/3 years during summers etc, I think I just may know a lot more than you :rolleyes:

- As for the racial slurring, do you honestly have any ground to stand-on here, or are you simply showing your moronic hypocrisy again? Within your first reply you brought up racial stereotypes, so save the "I was just responding to you" nonsense you bigot. Alrighty blud.

Interning for 2/3 summes doesn't give you the final word on what defines a suitably qualified candidate and neither does your father. My opinion is based on what I have heard from prospective employers, professionals within that field, professional across many fields and based on their years of experience be it teaching or working within that sector and somehow I think their opinion counts for a million times more than that of a school boy.

As for the "racial slurring", you insulted me by somehow implying that I was less of an Asian than you are despite my ethnicity and then you come up with some stupid comment that somehow Asians look down on each other based on universities or degrees which I find quite insulting.

You're the bigot here and not just in a racial sense but in the academic sense.

I advise you just shut up, grow up and come back when you've finished from school and maybe gone on to university and it better be Harvard or Yale otherwise me and the rest of the TSR "MAAAAASIVE BLUDS!" iz gunna laugh at yo' dumbness and iz gonna get you in a drive-by innit?

Dude you're just some cocky little school kid who wastes his time on TSR when he should be studying if Harvard really is what he aims for. So until you actually have gone out there and had real experience of the world other than what mummy and daddy have wanted you to see, keep your little gob shut and just make like a tree and leave.

You aren't even at university, you can't even argue toe to toe with me nevermind destory my arguments. You're just a kid, a real little boy infact.

So rather than show me two things, let me show you my "two fingers" now please leave.
(edited 13 years ago)

You couldn't even differentiate between FO roles in your reply, how on earth could you know more about banking? Unless of course "your friends" are equally as clueless :rolleyes:

Stick to the whole "school boy" rebuke, as if anyone has shown to be one, its you - with "**** off you ****ing **** boy" replies you've given, and the utter moronic logic you've used throughout.

Safe bruv

Reply 252
You couldn't even differentiate between FO roles in your reply, how on earth could you know more about banking? Unless of course "your friends" are equally as clueless :rolleyes:

Stick to the whole "school boy" rebuke, as if anyone has shown to be one, its you - with "**** off you ****ing **** boy" replies you've given, and the utter moronic logic you've used throughout.

Safe bruv

Me moronic?

Dude most people here think you're a moron and that shiny red gem of yours proves it.

You can only act so big and tough from behind a computer screen. Remove all that you're just some puny, immature little sperm.

You haven't got a clue about anything at all really and there's no point trying to compete with the big boys.

Good luck to you. You're gonna need it.
…...

Yet again, not answering any of the content posed to you, but instead resorting to childish and petty insults - remind me again, whose the "school boy" here? :rolleyes:

I'm not an "internet tough man", simply someone who is exposing your asinine logic (such as one person agreeing with you = "everyone" LOL) and you being caught out by such derisions - stick to making racist slurs mate, its all young boys like you are capable of.
Reply 254
Yet again, not answering any of the content posed to you, but instead resorting to childish and petty insults - remind me again, whose the "school boy" here? :rolleyes:

I'm not an "internet tough man", simply someone who is exposing your asinine logic (such as one person agreeing with you = "everyone" LOL) and you being caught out by such derisions - stick to making racist slurs mate, its all young boys like you are capable of.

young boys like me?

LOL. Dude you're not even at university heck you're probably not even at school. This is getting boring to be honest.
young boys like me?

LOL. Dude you're not even at university heck you're probably not even at school. This is getting boring to be honest.

Another reply, another post deviating from the subject.

I'm sorry, but anyone who feels the need to leave a comment such as "**** you ****ing piece of **** **** off" of another persons reputation page ON AN INTERNET FORUM, is either very young and naive or mentally retarded - I'd be happy with whichever you choose, so knock yourself out :smile:
Yes, in Europe Oxbridge is considered generally the most prestigious universities in the world but in the USA and Asia (east Asia) ivies are more regarded than Oxbridge, because of the connection between USA-east Asia. In south Asia, Oxbridge triumphs Harvard in terms of prestige given the relationship between the UK and India. To the rest of the world, they are pretty equal. You guys have to be clear about which part of Asia you're referring to because Asia is split into two places and in that respect both of you are right assuming one of you are talking about east and the other south. By ivies I am excluding the likes of Dartmouth and Cornell and brown and including Stanford and MIT. In investment banking (FO), unless you're at Wharton then it doesn't really matter if you go to Harvard or Oxbridge (ignoring the international-home situation).
Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton and Dartmouth.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yes, in Europe Oxbridge is considered generally the most prestigious universities in the world but in the USA and Asia (east Asia) ivies are more regarded than Oxbridge, because of the connection between USA-east Asia. In south Asia, Oxbridge triumphs Harvard in terms of prestige given the relationship between the UK and India. To the rest of the world, they are pretty equal. You guys have to be clear about which part of Asia you're referring to because Asia is split into two places and in that respect both of you are right assuming one of you are talking about east and the other south. By ivies I am excluding the likes of Dartmouth and Cornell and brown and including Stanford and MIT. In investment banking (FO), unless you're at Wharton then it doesn't really matter if you go to Harvard or Oxbridge (ignoring the international-home situation).

Such ties have little influence in my view b/c historical ties are irrelevant in most places (take India for example, they are closer to the US than the UK).

I would say in Europe people are clued-up enough to realise that HYP are at the very least, on par with Oxbridge, if not more - particularly if you head down to France/Germany etc. In addition, you also have the likes of Ecole etc which tend to slip-in given specific regions.

India is another place where I'd say HYP trumps Oxbridge given personal experience, as with the rest of Asia as a whole. Both Oxbridge and HYP etc are all very respected (with the latter more so than the former), so its just being nit-picky at the end of the day, so its all good as they say. Its like saying, would you prefer a Mercedes (HYP) or a BMW (Oxbridge) - both really good cars I'm sure most people would be happy with :smile:
Such ties have little influence in my view b/c historical ties are irrelevant in most places (take India for example, they are closer to the US than the UK).

I would say in Europe people are clued-up enough to realise that HYP are at the very least, on par with Oxbridge, if not more - particularly if you head down to France/Germany etc. In addition, you also have the likes of Ecole etc which tend to slip-in given specific regions.

India is another place where I'd say HYP trumps Oxbridge given personal experience, as with the rest of Asia as a whole. Both Oxbridge and HYP etc are all very respected (with the latter more so than the former), so its just being nit-picky at the end of the day, so its all good as they say. Its like saying, would you prefer a Mercedes (HYP) or a BMW (Oxbridge) - both really good cars I'm sure most people would be happy with :smile:

The Indian government is but from what I've seen I wouldn't say the Indian people are.

I disagree. From having travelled around Europe, most people I've encountered with haven't even heard of the ivies (which isn't a surprise because it's the general public) and the ones that were university/school educated and heard of the ivies, regarded them equal or Oxbridge greater in prestige.

I do agree that east Asia ivies are more regarded in higher manner than Oxbridge but I think stating in India ivies are more higher regarded is pushing it a little at most I would say equal. Just do a quick google search with ivies and the term 'India' and compare it with 'Oxbridge' and the term 'India' and see the results. For the former it's mostly research from the universities in India or Indian society within the actual university whereas the latter actually has results such as this which is a society oxbridge society in India, this which shows the connection between India and Oxford and finally this which shows the connection between India and Cambridge. I am not biased and have searched the other-side and didn't come up much with Harvard. For Princeton, found this which in all honesty doesn't match to this. Moving on, found this for Yale which by reading it you can tell doesn't match up with this, heck look at all the famous Indians educated in Cambridge, how many have been educated in the US? Even Yale acknowledges their ties aren't as strong as they want it to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending