Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel S2 exam?
    Very hard
    14.71%
    Hard
    33.57%
    Normal
    29.72%
    Easy
    15.42%
    Very easy
    6.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bat_man)
    haha aww, just one more hard day of work and its all done! (Im assuming this is your last exam), Surprisingly ive been just a little too relaxed this weekend. Went out twice already, lost my motivation . And yeah, my older siblings say, A-Levels are so much easier now, just cuz i got better grades than them at AS.
    Yup my last one...finally. The worst feeling is getting your exam timetable and realizing just how much cramming and mental pain there is going to be for the next few weeks. LOL easier. Too bad A levels are getting even harder, with the new syllabus and all. I feel sorry for the younger kids.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    What about teenagers who say college is easy?
    Either geniuses or not putting in any real work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If you just stick with X (rather than involving Y) it's just finding the least value of n for which that has been satisfied. Similar to finding the value for a critical region but it has to be the first value that is greater than 0.9.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    guys please help i'm never really sure which signs to use for hypothesis testing, like sometimes i use # instead of < or.Name:  s2.png
Views: 74
Size:  111.5 KB
    In this question i used # because it said whether or not, i want to know why its > and how it'd know for other questions ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hate this module so much; so crap its unreal; wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Could someone help me go through these questions please?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvosm)
    in the book it says that we "should be able to derive it from first principles" so i guess it could come up. That would be the only derivative we have to know right?
    yeah, i just looked at the spec. Examsolutions does it quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    Yup my last one...finally. The worst feeling is getting your exam timetable and realizing just how much cramming and mental pain there is going to be for the next few weeks. LOL easier. Too bad A levels are getting even harder, with the new syllabus and all. I feel sorry for the younger kids.

Either geniuses or not putting in any real work
    I thought it wasnt many exams, but the fact that its spread out over a whole month is kinda annoying, but better than intense cramming. And yh, i saw the spec of the new chemistry, and boy was i glad to be born one year earlier before them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bat_man)
    I thought it wasnt many exams, but the fact that its spread out over a whole month is kinda annoying, but better than intense cramming. And yh, i saw the spec of the new chemistry, and boy was i glad to be born one year earlier before them.
    Even all my teachers seem mad at the new spec. At least it gives some of the lazy teens a kick up the ass

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

What would you say apart from the solomon papers, was the hardest edexcel paper ?

Many thanks,

Will

ReputationRep:
    guys please help i'm never really sure which signs to use for hypothesis testing, like sometimes i use # instead of < or.
    In this question i used # because it said whether or not, i want to know why its > and how it'd know for other questions ?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bloom77;66112739]
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Attachment 556741

This is what I did so far: Attachment 556743

But how do you know it's not the first function but it's the second one?

Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe you would say that because F(a)=0.892, the max the first function can go is 0.6 which is when x=4. as F(a) is greater than 0.6, you would use the 2nd function. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find the JUNE 14 R paper hard?

ReputationRep:
    Probably a dumb question but your not expected to approximate a Poisson with binomial right? Also does it matter when doing a hypothesis test with a normal distribution whether you work out the probabilities or just use the Z values? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=r3h4f;66114959]

I believe you would say that because F(a)=0.892, the max the first function can go is 0.6 which is when x=4. as F(a) is greater than 0.6, you would use the 2nd function. hope this helps
    Omg thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LikeASomebody)
    Probably a dumb question but your not expected to approximate a Poisson with binomial right? Also does it matter when doing a hypothesis test with a normal distribution whether you work out the probabilities or just use the Z values? Thanks

No you don't but dont worry about it,

I think you need to work out the probabilities, but you do need to convert to Z values and look in the normal distribution table ?

If thats what you were asking.

But make sure you add a continuity correction in there , as you are approximating a discrete to a continuos random variable..

Enjoy and hope that helped

Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysc)
    Did anyone else find the JUNE 14 R paper hard?
    Yep
    The last question was particularly difficult
    Not sure why the grade boundaries were quite high

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    which s2 paper is the hardest? i..e has the lowest grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    How do you know the area of a triangle is 0.5 in this question?
    For part C

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942766.570577.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  130.3 KB

Mark scheme
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942786.638736.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  140.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssd07)
    which s2 paper is the hardest? I..e has the lowest grade boundaries
    june 14 r
    58 a

ReputationRep:
    How do you know the area of a triangle is 0.5 in this question?
    For part C

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942766.570577.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  130.3 KB

Mark scheme
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942786.638736.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  140.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says the mode of x = the median of x.
    The mode/median of x = 3.
    Therefore triangle has to be 0.5 as F(m)=0.5

If you need me to explain it more just say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.