Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huzza)
    This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?
    Your shadow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huzza)
    This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?
    your shadow

ok i have one (might be easy tho :P)

there is a woman who lives on the 20th floor of her apartment building. everyday she uses the elevator to get to ground floor and goes to work. she works for 8 hours and when she comes home, she takes the elevator to the 7th floor and then takes the stairs to the 20th floor to get to her flat.

why does she take the stairs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmms95)
    why does she take the stairs?
    Because she is too short to reach the twentieth floor button in the lift. She can only reach as far as the seventh floor button.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Because she is too short to reach the twentieth floor button in the lift. She can only reach as far as the seventh floor button.
    correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    I am round but not always around
    My light's bright when dark, dark when bright
    Of two faces, Only one comes to light
    My presence, signaled by the pack's cry
    Sending prey, squealing with fright
    I am white as snow, yet I can be red as blood
    On my command, Of hunters, the forest is flood
    I am your shield to stones, I guard thee
    Been admired for centuries and met face to face once, yet you still don't know much about me
    A God to some, A God to another
    Men and Tides, both worship me and bow
    Yet I was once found under a cow
    Who am I?

I made this up So don't try and google it XD
    This is what happens when I procrastinate

(don't judge me, don't judge me)
    Did a small edit, but only because I wanted it to rhyme XD
    The moon?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreshGarbage)
    The moon?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yaa

ReputationRep:
    yaa
    Wow, you made that riddle by yourself? Its really good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiuchen)
    Wow, you made that riddle by yourself? Its really good!
    Thank you It's the product of my procrastination

ReputationRep:
    Thank you It's the product of my procrastination
    I procrastinate sooo much too

ReputationRep:
    I posed the following as a riddle a couple of pages ago, but nobody solved it, so I shall post it again.

Twenty prisoners are in a prison. The warden says, "Tomorrow, I shall send you to your cells, where you will be completely isolated from everyone else. In my head, I have placed each of you into one of two categories - either 'red' or 'blue'. Perhaps you are all red, or all blue, or some of each - who knows?

Anyhow, tomorrow I will visit each of your cells individually and tell you what category every prisoner, other than yourself, is in. I will then allow you to make a guess at your own category. If at least 10 of you guess correctly, then you will all be released. If not, you will all be executed.

You have until tomorrow to talk amongst yourselves and decide upon a strategy. Good luck."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least 10 of them will guess correctly?

Note: The prisoners cannot hear what is happening in other cells, so cannot hear anybody else's guess. Also, the warden does not indicate whether any guess was correct until right at the end when they are all either released or executed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOldBean)
    I posed the following as a riddle a couple of pages ago, but nobody solved it, so I shall post it again.

Twenty prisoners are in a prison. The warden says, "Tomorrow, I shall send you to your cells, where you will be completely isolated from everyone else. In my head, I have placed each of you into one of two categories - either 'red' or 'blue'. Perhaps you are all red, or all blue, or some of each - who knows?

Anyhow, tomorrow I will visit each of your cells individually and tell you what category every prisoner, other than yourself, is in. I will then allow you to make a guess at your own category. If at least 10 of you guess correctly, then you will all be released. If not, you will all be executed.

You have until tomorrow to talk amongst yourselves and decide upon a strategy. Good luck."

Note: The prisoners cannot hear what is happening in other cells, so cannot hear anybody else's guess. Also, the warden does not indicate whether any guess was correct until right at the end when they are all either released or executed.
    Since the guard tells them how many others are which colour, they could all just guess the colour the guard tells them that has the bigger number right? So the guard will say 10 red 9 blue and that person will guess red. Right? I think that works

ReputationRep:
    Since the guard tells them how many others are which colour, they could all just guess the colour the guard tells them that has the bigger number right? So the guard will say 10 red 9 blue and that person will guess red. Right? I think that works
    What if there are exactly 10 of each colour? How many of them would guess correctly if they followed this rule?

ReputationRep:
    What if there are exactly 10 of each colour? How many of them would guess correctly if they followed this rule?
    ok Unless they say 9, 10 then always guess the one with more ?

ReputationRep:

LOL, I tried, I gave up XD

ReputationRep:
    ok Unless they say 9, 10 then always guess the one with more ?
    But if there were 11 red and 9 blue then 11 of them would be wrong. Here is are two hints; one small and one big.

Small Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It turns out to be the case that any valid strategy will guarantee that EXACTLY 10 of them will be correct. It may help to notice that 10 is half of 20.

:
    Big Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Divide the prisoners up into 10 pairs

ReputationRep:
    But if there were 11 red and 9 blue then 11 of them would be wrong. Here is are two hints; one small and one big.

Small Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It turns out to be the case that any valid strategy will guarantee that EXACTLY 10 of them will be correct. It may help to notice that 10 is half of 20.
    :
    Big Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Divide the prisoners up into 10 pairs
    Divide the prisoners up to 10 pairs. 5 pairs will answer with the colour blue, 5 pairs answer the colour red? complete guess

ReputationRep:
    Divide the prisoners up to 10 pairs. 5 pairs will answer with the colour blue, 5 pairs answer the colour red? complete guess
    If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is. In other words, what colour you guess needs to depend upon what other people's colours are.

ReputationRep:
    If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is.
    Ohhhhhh is in each pair one guess the bigger number the guard says and the other says the smaller number? I think that will mean there is always 10 right, 10 wrong right? My brain hurts!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhhh is in each pair one guess the bigger number the guard says and the other says the smaller number? I think that will mean there is always 10 right, 10 wrong right? My brain hurts!
    This is the right general idea (though you need to get away from the 'whichever there is more of' strategy) but I don't think this works. For example, if each pair consisted of a red person and a blue person then everybody would be wrong, if I understood what you meant correctly.

ReputationRep:
    If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is. In other words, what colour you guess needs to depend upon what other people's colours are.
    when the warden comes in to the jail, it depends on the order of the people he questions? he also can't see the other's prisoners hat, (he may know their hat colour, but he can't see them and he also wouldn't know the order of the questioning?)

I'm so baffled by this LOL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.