The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4nonymous
Someone posted the paper with mark scheme that you're looking for
Attached Files[*] H020-02-paper-Dec-15.pdf (768.4 KB, 7 views)
[*] H020-02-mark-scheme-Dec-15.pdf (445.2 KB, 6 views)
[*] H020-01-paper-Dec-15 (2).pdf (957.3 KB, 9 views)
[*] H020-01-mark-scheme-Dec-15.pdf (406.8 KB, 5 views)

Oh my gosh! Thank you!!! - do you know the grade boundaries??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Black Rose
I got an E in my first mock in Jan, it was such a shock to us, we'd not been prepared for anything like it (still aren't :colonhash:) and then got a D in the most recent one (along with 2 others in my class, no one got higher than a D....) but that included questions from the 1st mock because of limited resources so not sure you can really count that. :grumble:

Good luck :redface: :hugs:

Thanks! Good luck to you as well!
Original post by Simbak6
Totally screwed for biology tomorrow, even more so for chemistry on Friday.

Same
Hi as anyone got the markscheme for the HO20/02 papers? The first question is on extinction. Thanks :smile:
Reply 364
Original post by invisiblegirl
back of your OCR textbook?

I feel like they're not good enough to answer questions though.. I've used those definitions to answer questions before but they don't seem to be specific enough for all the marks
Original post by haes
I feel like they're not good enough to answer questions though.. I've used those definitions to answer questions before but they don't seem to be specific enough for all the marks

look on the specificaton.
Reply 366
What are we even expecting from this paper? Even the teachers cannot predict what's going to come up and how the grade boundaries will be structured. OCR textbook covers lots of content but in Biology unfortunately they ask you irrelevant questions that is shocking. I am not looking forward for tomorrow.

The content has changed as well as expectations for answers. :frown:
Guys, will stats come up? Do we need to know standard deviation, spearmans rank correlation, student t test etc
What's chi squared test?? Its on the spec
Original post by HALOALKANESS
Guys, will stats come up? Do we need to know standard deviation, spearmans rank correlation, student t test etc

It'll come up. I'm pretty sure they'll give you the formula though so just know how to interpret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
It'll come up. I'm pretty sure they'll give you the formula though so just know how to interpret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher told me we don't get the formula so we need to learn them, but im not sure?
yeah but teacher also told me that we gotta learn the formula. I checked on the spec, and the cgp guide, both dont cover students t test and spearmans ranks. quite confused. and also, surely calculations wont be on the breadth paper as the questions are worth at least like 4 marks
Reply 372
Original post by theonlyone12
yeah but teacher also told me that we gotta learn the formula. I checked on the spec, and the cgp guide, both dont cover students t test and spearmans ranks. quite confused. and also, surely calculations wont be on the breadth paper as the questions are worth at least like 4 marks

Wait, what? I thought they do give you the formula, they did for the specimen papers?
Original post by theonlyone12

The spec does cover student t test and spearmans I checked myself and the teacher also checked before teaching it to us.
Original post by 4nonymous
My teacher told me we don't get the formula so we need to learn them, but im not sure?

If you look at the practice depth, they give you the Simpson's rank thing so I'm pretty sure they do.

Just learn it to be safe though, better safe than sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anyone roughly know how many marks it is to get a C?
Original post by Firenze26
If you look at the practice depth, they give you the Simpson's rank thing so I'm pretty sure they do.

Just learn it to be safe though, better safe than sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely don't need to learn these, as it states in the OCR Maths Skills Handbook that they are "formulae that will be provided in the assessments"

Chi squared
Hardy Weinberg
Simpson's
Spearman's
Standard Deviation
Paired and unpaired T Tests

Still, it's not clear if they will be provided with the question like they were in the practice paper, or we will be given a formula sheet and required to pick the correct test. I'm thinking it's going to be the latter because the specification states "Select and use a statisticaltest" (M1.9)

Original post by millymolly123
Hi does anyone roughly know how many marks it is to get a C?

Anyone's guess at the minute, guess we'll have to wait and see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's hope for a math's biology paper!!!! HOORAY!!!
Also in case anyone's teacher hasn't pointed this out, OCR published some example statistics questions last week, worth a look.

Questions: http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/science/resources/statistics-biology-students

Answers with detailed explanations: http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/science/resources/statistics-biology-students-answers
Reply 379
I am not ready.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending