The Student Room Group

Pork Pies - Jelly or No Jelly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by EskimoJo
Mmmm, the jelly is awesome! :biggrin:

That's ****ing disgusting. :no:

Yummy.
I hate the jelly, im tucking into the lovely crust and get some slime in my mouth WTF :frown:
Reply 22
I'll eat most things, but the jelly in pork pies is **** ing revolting. It's like eating cat food. <retch>

Personally I open them up, remove the jelly (which then slithers away back to its evil lair), replace it with a suitably flavoursome sauce, such as mustard, bbq sauce or apple sauce, and put them back together again.
Reply 23
Original post by Tootles
It's aspic, which is what falls to the bottom of the fat when the fat's rendered into lard. The aspic's not fat, it's just gelatin and tasty pork goodness :biggrin:

i seee, thanks
where does one find pork pies?
Reply 24
Original post by theths
i seee, thanks
where does one find pork pies?

If you're in London, you don't; only Northerners really like savoury pies, so Southern shops don't sell them.
Reply 25
Original post by Tootles
If you're in London, you don't; only Northerners really like savoury pies, so Southern shops don't sell them.

that's so sad :redface: i like pork AND pies
Reply 26
The jelly is grim, I scrape it off.
Reply 27
eeew. no jelly. the jelly creeps me out big time!
Reply 28
Pork pies are my nightmare food! Pork is one of the worst meats, firstly. Secondly, they contain some sinisterly sweet looking jelly inside. Thirdly, it was my nickname at primary school!
Reply 29
Jelly.
Original post by Tootles

:confused: I live in Hertfordshire and pork pies (and other savoury pies) are sold in every supermarket and most convenience stores! Also pretty much every bakery sells savoury pies....
Reply 31
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
:confused: I live in Hertfordshire and pork pies (and other savoury pies) are sold in every supermarket and most convenience stores! Also pretty much every bakery sells savoury pies....

Well, maybe they're more popular there. I just know that I've got family who simply can't get hold of pork pies when they go South.
Original post by Tootles
Well, maybe they're more popular there. I just know that I've got family who simply can't get hold of pork pies when they go South.

That's odd. I've got family in Carlisle and Newcastle and went to university at Lancaster. I've never noticed any difference in the amount of savoury pies sold at each end of the country.
Reply 33
British Food:

"Would you like Jelly with your Swine sir?"

:puke:
Reply 34
I love the jelly and get very annoyed when i can't buy a pork pie with jelly in, it has put me off buying pork pies because they DON'T HAVE THE JELLY IN.
Original post by GREGSTOW
I love the jelly and get very annoyed when i can't buy a pork pie with jelly in, it has put me off buying pork pies because they DON'T HAVE THE JELLY IN.

this pie is 6 years old

:hat2:
w/ jelly
Melton Mobray pork pies are the best, they have just the right amount of jelly and meat. :drool:
I always like pork pies with jelly, i have gone off pork pies though recently due to most of them not having any jelly in which I expect it to be in there but disappoint come on when find there is no jelly, the jelly and pastry is the best bit
Ugh I don't like jelly. I find it too slimy and briny. It wouldn't be too bad if it was spread throughout the pie, but I tuck into all the tasty meat and pastry, and then I'm left over with a shell of pastry filled with all the jelly which I have to throw away.
The pork pie is not much more efficient than the apple to eat.

Quick Reply

Latest