The Student Room Group

2015 Jan Edexcel IAL Physics unit 1

Scroll to see replies

it was definitely the hardest i've done so far (i have done all papers 2010-2014)
some of the MCQs took so long to get my head round.
i felt the paper really lacked easy marks questions unlike in past papers
the 4 marker calculations where like wtf (radius one specifically) and the magnets question just caught me out of position. I really rushed it because I lost tons of time on the MCQs.
I don't really think they'll lower the boundaries too much because they never do, an A will be like 55 or so.
So my expectations for this paper are pretty bad. :frown:

What was the worst question for u guys?
Original post by mtareq24
I am confused about the magnet question.Can you please say what'll be the answer here?

Okay, now Im not very sure of my answer but it seems like a reasonable one.
The magnets were identical
So both experience the same magnitude of attractive force.
Cancelling each other's forces so no net force.
No net force means no acceleration.
Original post by kev909
definitely chemistry unit 1, it was a completely different situation than physics unit 1...

yea I same here
guys what was you tension in the bungee rope question ?
Reply 24
Original post by rafavel97
holy sugar!
was the toughest exam of all i've done(done every single from 2010 - 2014)
there were some 4-marker calculations that omg....
and i dont really think they'll lower the boundaries too much, they never change too much so my expectations for an A are on the floor... :frown:

same here :frown: seriously for people who finished all past papers, i found that edexcel's paper is getting harder and harder...
Original post by kev909
same here :frown: seriously for people who finished all past papers, i found that edexcel's paper is getting harder and harder...

yeah, seriously for the amount of study i did in christmas i feel so frustated right now after getting this tough exam. i thought they would lower the difficulty this time as last year people complained about exams being too hard.... but no, edexcel doesnt seem to care :mad:
Reply 26
Was the tension somewhere around 700N? I dont remember the exact value.
Reply 27
Anyway, for people who take chemistry tomorrow, i wish you guys the best luck! keep calm and fight until the damm end!
Please can anyone tell me the answer for the spider web question? Thanks.
Reply 29
It was so hard.....the physics one......especially the calculations onesss.....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Reply 30
what do you guys think about the question with the swimmer?
Reply 31
and what was the additional measurement?????
I wrote that the swimmer has to be more in streamlined shape so it will cause more laminar flow which will reduce the drag. Idk if its right or not. :/
Original post by Wannabe007
Okay, now Im not very sure of my answer but it seems like a reasonable one.
The magnets were identical
So both experience the same magnitude of attractive force.
Cancelling each other's forces so no net force.
No net force means no acceleration.

I answered the same way but I mentioned Newton's third law (magnet A exerts a force on magnet B so according to newtons's third law magnet B exerts a force on magnet A in the opposite direction and same magnitude)
Then I wrote what you wrote
Is it wrong? Does Newton's third law have nothing to do with this?
And if it is, will I lose the whole 3 marks or might I get like 1 or 2 of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farah4298
I answered the same way but I mentioned Newton's third law (magnet A exerts a force on magnet B so according to newtons's third law magnet B exerts a force on magnet A in the opposite direction and same magnitude)
Then I wrote what you wrote
Is it wrong? Does Newton's third law have nothing to do with this?
And if it is, will I lose the whole 3 marks or might I get like 1 or 2 of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know. You may be right... I related it to N's 2nd law.
Its highly unlikely that you'll lose all 3 marks. :wink:
If say, you wrote 4 points and one of them is wrong, you still get 3 marks since thankfully, there aint any negative marking.
Original post by errorinfinity
guys what was you tension in the bungee rope question ?

I don't remember what the number was, but here's what I did
I calculated the gravitational potential energy lost, using the difference in the heights, this would be equal to the elastic potential energy stored in the rope.
Then I found the extension, by substracting lengths from each other.. I don't remember the exact lengths
Then I used E.P.E= 0.5*F*X to find the force(tension)
I'm not sure it is the correct way though
How did everyone else do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taif420
Was the tension somewhere around 700N? I dont remember the exact value.

I got 910 N
What was ur answer for that magnet question in ial physics unit 1..they asked "explain why this would never be practical" or something like that.. ?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The magnets are identical so the forces are having the same magnitude and they act in the opposite direction. The result force will be zero. So no displacement according to newtons 1st law of motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The A mark for june 2014 IAL phy unit 1 was 53/80.. Hopefully the jan 15 papers boundaries will be lower :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending