The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Socrates
You clearly don't know the difference between Oxford and UEL? You'd get employed with an Oxbridge degree regardless of classification. It isn't just the teaching standards; its the whole structure of the degree and how much harder you have to work to get into Oxbridge and how hard you have to work to get a degree there.

I am talking about doing a masters after you get your degree. Companys flock to get students from oxbridge.

As for working harder, maybe so but for subjects like law which the law society draws up exams questions and the fact there are "core" subjects it must all equal the same. Your trying to make out people do not have to work hard unless you go to oxbridge which is complete nonsense, everyone works hard no matter what university you go to because after all it is down to you what grade and where in life you want to end up.
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Going to oxbridge, doesn't always = job. A girl on my road with a high 2:1 law degree, status: unemployed, length of time: 2years. I know this is probably an anomaly, but you have to consider that just going to those places only gives one the opportunity, it doesn't guarantee an end result.
Reply 22
Browneyedboi
Going to oxbridge, doesn't always = job. A girl on my road with a high 2:1 law degree, status: unemployed, length of time: 2years. I know this is probably an anomaly, but you have to consider that just going to those places only gives one the opportunity, it doesn't guarantee an end result.

Exactly, I think it is like 91% of grads get a job from oxbridge though those stats do not indicate if it is well paid or in the subject field.
Reply 23
my chem teacher is an oxford chem grad, and he's teaching me at Alevels!!
teaching in a secondary school is not the best job in the world considering he has a masters in chem at oxford.
Reply 24
Jinxed
the fact there are "core" subjects it must all equal the same.

I can assure you it doesn't.
Reply 25
samanovich
my chem teacher is an oxford chem grad, and he's teaching me at Alevels!!
teaching in a secondary school is not the best job in the world considering he has a masters in chem at oxford.

Some people like teaching?

People talk about teaching as if it was worse than being a road sweeper. My English teacher (state school) went to Cambridge too.
Reply 26
Socrates
I can assure you it doesn't.

Maybe in your eyes it does not but I would say it does. I have looked at core subjects from all universitys and from crap universitys to the top you eventually study the same thing within 3 years.
Reply 27
Jinxed
Maybe in your eyes it does not but I would say it does. I have looked at core subjects from all universitys and from crap universitys to the top you eventually study the same thing within 3 years.

You're so wrong; subject material, depth, how hard it is differs so much. However I guess if you can't comprehend this small difference then there is no use talking to you.

Then again I have seen the difference in work load (friends from oxbridge visit me in ucl, friends from imp etc), but who am I to talk to someone who hasn't.

Heres something to chew on
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346220

I assure that doesn't happen at UCL at least.
Reply 28
Crazster
You're so wrong; subject material, depth, how hard it is differs so much. However I guess if you can't comprehend this small difference then there is no use talking to you.

Then again I have seen the difference in work load (friends from oxbridge visit me in ucl, friends from imp etc), but who am I to talk to someone who hasn't.

Heres something to chew on
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346220

I assure that doesn't happen at UCL at least.

No I guess you cannot comprehend anything because you think it has to be better then lower universitys. We all study core subjects and the same things are learnt, no point in trying to state it is not because as in law contract is a core subject and you learn that in whatever university you go to as a CORE subject. Understand this little man.

If you are doing something like art or some other pointless subject I can see why there would be a difference but learn to read which subject I am stating, I am in no way stating every subject is like this.

As for quoting my thread, what about it? I have not said uel is bad, I have just said there structure is bad and that is all. Obviously UCL is gonna be way better because the law school is most likly joined with the main university, duh!
Jinxed
As for working harder, maybe so but for subjects like law which the law society draws up exams questions

The exams are set and marked by the professors at Oxford.
The "law society" does not set degree exams.
Jinxed,if law degrees are of equal value, no matter which university you study at, why is it that the top law firms will only accept trainees from the top universities?
Reply 31
There is someone on this website who just got accepted onto a PhD program at Oxford with a BSc. from the University of Plymouth. Now, no offence to Plymouth or anything but it's by no means a top 20 university so I think that poster is living proof that if you work your butt off while you're an undergraduate then you can get into high level institutions.
Reply 32
Jinxed
No I guess you cannot comprehend anything because you think it has to be better then lower universitys. We all study core subjects and the same things are learnt, no point in trying to state it is not because as in law contract is a core subject and you learn that in whatever university you go to as a CORE subject. Understand this little man.

If you are doing something like art or some other pointless subject I can see why there would be a difference but learn to read which subject I am stating, I am in no way stating every subject is like this.

As for quoting my thread, what about it? I have not said uel is bad, I have just said there structure is bad and that is all. Obviously UCL is gonna be way better because the law school is most likly joined with the main university, duh!

Can you not throw insults around? I would appreciate you acting with some maturity.

Core subjects - Law, as we've alreay seen thorught he link at UEL is worse. Anything else, the CORE - THE BASIC is the same. Not anything/eveyrthing else. I dare you to find a single course in the uk that teaches what I learn at UCL economics with its econometric focus. You can't do it, and every course in every uni teachers everything differently, does things differently, focuses everything differently.

My SISTER did LAW at Nottingham, my MATES do Law at Kent, Kings, UCL, LSE. There is a difference after talking to them, seeing their courses. Don't believe me, but lets think about it from one aspect, if you have prestegious well known tutors who know their subject inside out, will you not get a better understanding, hang on, you're right you learnt the same amount from both your good and bad teachers in high school.

Oh wait it can't be possible that the same subject material can be approached from a different way? GASP!!! Exceptions to a rule, but a general rule there is. Structure is a part of the university, of what you can learn, the support you can get, what you can do withint he confines of your university.

I think this topic is done, you started it without the ability to change your mind, there is nothing left to say.

*Sarcasm*
Reply 33
fundamentally
The exams are set and marked by the professors at Oxford.
The "law society" does not set degree exams.

Of course but it based around the core materials.
Reply 34
In my own world
Jinxed,if law degrees are of equal value, no matter which university you study at, why is it that the top law firms will only accept trainees from the top universities?

Of course magic circle firms take the majority of law students from top universitys but to say they ONLY accept them is a lie. I know someone from middlesex university who finished his law degree 2 years ago and did his masters at UCL. Now he works Allen & Overy which is a magic circle firm and middlesex is only 10 places higher then UEL.
Reply 35
Crazster
Can you not throw insults around? I would appreciate you acting with some maturity.

Grow the hell up, do not tell someone else to not throw insults around when you started it.

Crazster
Core subjects - Law, as we've alreay seen thorught he link at UEL is worse. Anything else, the CORE - THE BASIC is the same. Not anything/eveyrthing else. I dare you to find a single course in the uk that teaches what I learn at UCL economics with its econometric focus. You can't do it, and every course in every uni teachers everything differently, does things differently, focuses everything differently.

Firstly you claim to go to UCL yet you cannot grasp basic spelling. Through what link UEL is worse? The fact that UEL is spread into 3 pieces and that makes it worse? Who you kidding. The core is all the same EG contract law you would be learning the same things in all the universitys that we all learn and the same cases. There is no such thing as different cases or different learning scenerios for higher or lower universitys.

Crazster
My SISTER did LAW at Nottingham, my MATES do Law at Kent, Kings, UCL, LSE. There is a difference after talking to them, seeing their courses. Don't believe me, but lets think about it from one aspect, if you have prestegious well known tutors who know their subject inside out, will you not get a better understanding, hang on, you're right you learnt the same amount from both your good and bad teachers in high school.

Wha.... Anyone else see the contradiction there?

Crazster
Oh wait it can't be possible that the same subject material can be approached from a different way? GASP!!! Exceptions to a rule, but a general rule there is. Structure is a part of the university, of what you can learn, the support you can get, what you can do withint he confines of your university.

I think this topic is done, you started it without the ability to change your mind, there is nothing left to say.

Of course teachers can bring a subject to you in another way but understand what I am trying to say that you will still learn the same things no matter what university you go to. I find the teachers at UEL very helpful and when you do not understand a question they will keep explaining it to you until you do.

This topic was regarding if you can do a masters at another university with a degree in a lower which you can. Get over it because you seem to have been told a negative view on lower universitys and you seem to think you are way better. There is alot of information about me I have left out but I would say I would have a better chance at getting a job with a good law firm just as someone from oxbridge and I have worked so hard for it. I got a summer placement at a very good law firm and that is all I need to tell me that once I have finished university I have a very good chance and a bright future.
Reply 36
Jinxed
Firstly you claim to go to UCL yet you cannot grasp basic spelling.

...says the one who spells "universities" as "universitys". :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Socrates
...says the one who spells "universities" as "universitys". :rolleyes:

And? So because I did not put ' before the s is makes me a bad speller? Lmao but then again I am not the one claiming to be from a top 5 university.
Reply 38
Oh Noes you caught me out! You have found out my dark secret!!! For no real reason I have been pretending to go to UCL -_-. What a detective you are!!!!

/Sarcasm

That was really the final straw, this thread has degraded far enough, i'm out, later all, I suggest you all do the same.
Jinxed
And? So because I did not put ' before the s is makes me a bad speller? Lmao but then again I am not the one claiming to be from a top 5 university.

Hahahahahaha.

I'm only lurking in this thread, but that's actually hilarious...

Latest

Trending

Trending