The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History 6HI03/C2 - USA - June 8th 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daveyboy1199
Part A: clear focus ie first sentence needs to refer to the question directly
Good detail
Sustained analysis ie at the end of your point explain why the detail you have used adds to your argument.
Best way to do analysis is say clearly.(make a claim) And then Because.(explain your reason).....

Part B: talk about the sources as much as possible. I think there's 18 marks available for source use. But main point if you want to get in to L4 is to use the sources as arguments and not as evidence. Ie quote the argument of the source! And weave sources together and make a judgment using the sources!

Hope it helps 😁

You are one baddaaaboy!!! (Yardir London dialect of saying I love ou hahhaha) thanks for the tip!!!!
GUYSSSS ANY PREDICTIONS for Part A and B ?

I can't predict anything but I just think the Boom period will not be asked about and anti communism feeling also wont be invluded I FEEL!
Is it possible for a question to be on the consequences of the first Red Scare (1920's)?

Could I have some help with how to go about answering an question like that.

Also the same for consequences of the second Red Scare
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UNITED1411
Is it possible for a question to be on the consequences of the first Red Scare (1920's)?

Could I have some help with how to go about answering an question like that.

Also the same for consequences of the second Red Scare

I cannot seem to find any content in the big Edexcel book on that! Anyone help?
Original post by stressedbrownboy
I cannot seem to find any content in the big Edexcel book on that! Anyone help?

I think they ask about the causes of the Red Scare rather than consequences, not sure?
So is it always cause of the depression/ how Hoover handled it OR new deal for section B? Is there always a choice between the two, has there ever been 2 new deals or 2 depressions?
Original post by TomRussell26
So is it always cause of the depression/ how Hoover handled it OR new deal for section B? Is there always a choice between the two, has there ever been 2 new deals or 2 depressions?

Yes it is always either one or the other, check the past exam papers to check m claims
Original post by thomaslawson1
Just wondering, will there always be a non-economic question for the Part A? (by non economic I mean social tensions such as KKK or the red scare, prohibition, Mccarthyism)

I think so the current Trend is social, economic, social ect so if the trend sticks this year, which may not be the case, it hopefully should be a social question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by chl0ejasminee
Finally! People doing this topic! I'm so anxious that part B will be two New Deal questions I know its never happened and won't but still am fretting! Glad to see other people are focusing on the Depression too.

Pretty sure that can't happen, for part B they always have a question on both controversies. So don't worry there will be a question on depression and on new deal.
Hiiii guys I'm doing this exam too and am so nervous because I need to get a good grade (doing history at uni). Any ideas on what will come up??? I am less confindent on the New Deal too - especially the alphabet agencies, i just don't remember them because there are so many, but the Great Depression I understand more... but still need to do a bit of work on it.
Original post by chl0ejasminee
I think they ask about the causes of the Red Scare rather than consequences, not sure?

I don't think there would be enough content for a question only on this... it's more the fact it led to a lot of intolerance etc.
Reply 31
Original post by alevels.
I'm doing the New Deal instead of the Depression aha. I'm really struggling with the Part B essay structure and how to write out the paragraphs :frown:

Hi, Im doing the same course ( edexcel A2 history) but a different module, Im doing "The United States, 1820-77: A Disunited Nation?", but the exam technique and questions are EXACTLY the same.
PART A: ~50 mins (2-5 mins on a quick plan)
2 types of question - "how far do you agree" with a statementShould be 2/3 for and 2/3 against arguments, in a separate paragraph each, but sometimes the question lends itself to an unbalanced essay. Each paragraph should be structured with a point, evidence/quotes/statistics to back this up, and then analysis of WHY this evidence and point links to the quiestion. This is where the top marks come from so make sure this is detailed. Link back directly to the question (literally, write... this led to *whatever the event was*) Conclusion should be linking them and ranking their importances. Always refer back to the question in the individual paragraphs.

OR "why did XYZ happen?"No for/against here, just 4-6 paragraphs linking the events in chronological order, explaining how they link, why they are significant etc etc. Same paragraph structure as above - Point, evidence, analysis. Link back to the question throughout. Conclusion should be linking them and ranking their importances. Always refer back to the question in the individual paragraphs.

PART B: ~1hr 10 mins (5 mins on a quick plan)
1 type of question - there's a statement, and 4 historians argue about it. In this case, there's 3 in the form of sources, and you're the fourth. The question always takes a statement from source 1 and then asks you "how far do you agree with this?". ~4-6 paragraphs - one per point made in the sources. Firstly for each paragraph, pick out the point that a source is making, quote it, and that's your point. Back it up with your own knowledge, this is the evidence. Then, with more own knowledge, add more facts and analysis. Link/compare the other sources (i.e. "source 2 agrees/disagrees with that here":wink:. Refer back to the question. Conclusion should be weighing up the points and sources, giving a firm definitive answer as to which is the most significant. Again refer to the exact wording in the question.
What kind of question would you discuss Roosevelt's foreign policy? Just never really seen it in past papers
Can someone plz explain the red scare and mccarthism to me plz plz
Original post by Frank Costello
What kind of question would you discuss Roosevelt's foreign policy? Just never really seen it in past papers

a Roosevelt question will focus on the New Deal in general, the alphabet agencies.

The First New Deal, Second and Third. In each new deal there are 3 categories. Relief , Recovery And reform. in which Roosevelt passed bills to tackle those problems.

Relief relates to social issues, such as creating jobs, housing and government schemes to help the needy.

Reform refers to correcting the banking and finance system as well as agriculture.

Recovery refers to industry( jobs), agriculture and the financial structure.

There are 17 bills ( 15 major) in the first New deal. 7 in the Second and 5 in the Third New deal. A question can focus on just relief, recovery, or reform or may focus on just how Roosevelt helped improved social conditions ( in which you will have to pick out the bills that helped improved social conditions ' housing, agriculture( Farmers), schemes to help the needy i.e. the social securities act)
Reply 35
Really panicking for this exam now, anyone have any last minute revision tips?
Reply 36
When planning think of factors, andunderline these in different colors on the sources so you'll see links betweenthe sources for cross referencing in your paragraphs.Then introduction = specific context,introduce debate by summarizing the main argument of each historian; forexample "It is believed that the Great Depression hit due to problems withinternational trade as is highlighted by Historian X, however other historiansbelieve that it was due to Republican policies as is stated by Historian Y andHistorian Z believes that it should be attributed to the incapacity toconsume." Then in your paragraphs remember thatyou're evaluating the views of the historian with your own knowledge, not justweighing up the factors against each other. You need at least 3 quotes perparagraph to show that you're able to analyze the sources, as there is moremarks available for source analysis.Paragraph structure is pretty fluid but themain outline is:Point sentence (leading with a historiane.g. Historian X argues that the New Deal was successful in improvingAgriculture)Quote from the source (3-7 words, must beevaluative, so don't just quote a fact or statistic given by the historian asyou won't get credited for this)Inference (What does the Historian mean bythis quote? Why is this significant? e.g. this suggests that the prices ofcrops increased which meant that the profit of farms was also increasing)[You may decide to quote again from thesame source; this is where the structure becomes fluid depending on the factor]Own knowledge (use this to evaluate thehistorian's view, for example you could say However, this statement isincorrect as wages decreased by X amount or Indeed this statement is justifiedas farmers' profits increased by X amount in the time period Y-Z)Cross reference (what do the otherhistorians say on this factor? e.g. Historian X loosely supports thisidea/Historian X completely contradicts this view)Quote (Again quote from the secondhistorian)Inference (What does the historian suggestis the significance of this is?)Own Knowledge (use what you know to eithercontradict or back up the historian's statement)Evaluation (weigh up the historian's views,which view is more accurate?)Judgment (is the factor suggested in thisparagraph more or less significant than other factors you have discussed inanswering the question?)The conclusion should weigh the historians'views against each other and suggest who has the most accurate answer to thequestion stated and why.

That's how you do part b, don't waste time revising both look at one or the other.
Original post by JosephineAshanti
a Roosevelt question will focus on the New Deal in general, the alphabet agencies.

The First New Deal, Second and Third. In each new deal there are 3 categories. Relief , Recovery And reform. in which Roosevelt passed bills to tackle those problems.

Relief relates to social issues, such as creating jobs, housing and government schemes to help the needy.

Reform refers to correcting the banking and finance system as well as agriculture.

Recovery refers to industry( jobs), agriculture and the financial structure.

There are 17 bills ( 15 major) in the first New deal. 7 in the Second and 5 in the Third New deal. A question can focus on just relief, recovery, or reform or may focus on just how Roosevelt helped improved social conditions ( in which you will have to pick out the bills that helped improved social conditions ' housing, agriculture( Farmers), schemes to help the needy i.e. the social securities act)

Ah okay thanks, would his foreign policy appear in a 30 mark question in which you would discuss Neutrality Acts or his good neighbour policies etc. Never seen it on past papers but it appears in the text books
Original post by Frank Costello
Ah okay thanks, would his foreign policy appear in a 30 mark question in which you would discuss Neutrality Acts or his good neighbour policies etc. Never seen it on past papers but it appears in the text books

if you're doing the Edexcel paper, Roosevelt's policy will only appear in the part A section with reference to the opposition he received during his presidency and how successful they were ( these include opposition from the right & left wing, the supreme court, and individuals such as Huey Long and Charles Townsend . Other than that pat A will either focus on the economy during the 1920's ( the reason for the boom), social and political tensions ( KKK, Prohibition, immigration policies, the jazz age) or politics during the boom ( red scare, the coming of the women's suffrage , the republican government)
What are people thinking for predictions?
I'm thinking immigration will come up as its popular with them and it hasn't been on since 2011. Hoping that role of republican presidents comes up for the depression controversy.
For part A: given that there's always one question in 1917-33 and one post new deal, is anyone just revising up til 33?
I know that the only guaranteed thing is that both depression and new deal come up but is it also guaranteed that 17-33 and Post new deal will come up?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending