The Student Room Group

Edexcel International A level (IAL): Physics Unit 6 (WPH06) - 19th May, 2016 - PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demotivated
Hope it doesn't go as badly as Chemistry did

After Chem U6 I'm so demotivated :frown:
Reply 21
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum (Please let me know if I'm asking in the wrong place)
Since I've lost marks on my last attempt on Unit 6 ,
would like to ask for commands/improvement on my graph plotting
Thank you so so much and good luck with unit 6! :h:

My draft:
2016 Jan
IMG_3837.jpg
2015 Jun
Attachment not found

2015 Jan
Attachment not found
Original post by WH95
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum (Please let me know if I'm asking in the wrong place)

My draft:
2016 Jan
IMG_3837.jpg
2015 Jun
Attachment not found

2015 Jan
Attachment not found

Hi! For graphs(in general), you should always choose a suitable scale that suits your data as well as it should be made in such a way as to cover more than half of the graph paper. Your graphs seem fine to me. :smile: But do you have any other problem other than the graph?
Hi! There's a physics group on whatsapp. You can pm your numbers to me and I'll add you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by demotivated
Hope it doesn't go as badly as Chemistry did

i second that!!
Can anybody explain to me the idea of 'Half Range'? I have seen that come up in lots of mark schemes. What is it and when do you use it?
Reply 26
For Summer 2011 paper Q1, Why can't I reject 28.2 in the calculation of the mean width? It seems like an outlier of the data collected to me. Thanks
Reply 27
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Can anybody explain to me the idea of 'Half Range'? I have seen that come up in lots of mark schemes. What is it and when do you use it?

It's your choice whether you use half range or full range. Half range is the regular range divided by two. You don't need to use it if you don't want to. Stick to one in the exam, not both
Original post by Ayman!
It's your choice whether you use half range or full range. Half range is the regular range divided by two. You don't need to use it if you don't want to. Stick to one in the exam, not both

Thanks A Lot Ayman!
Is there a set rule for when a value is considered an anomaly?

Half the range is your uncertainty in the mean when you take multiple readings then average them
Reply 31
Original post by sabahshahed294
EMF and Internal Resistance? lol. How's that possible in Unit 6?

Bro don't you really know that AS practicals are included?? Like we mostly get these LDR and thermistor stuff?
any final touch ?
Reply 33
Original post by WH95

My draft:
2016 Jan
IMG_3837.jpg
2015 Jun
Attachment not found

2015 Jan
Attachment not found

Well your best fit lines aren't really well drawn and well an improvement cut be that whenever you don't start with zero on a scale, give a line break (although it's not a must but I've read it in quite a lot of examiner's reports)
Original post by Aimen.
Well your best fit lines aren't really well drawn and well an improvement cut be that whenever you don't start with zero on a scale, give a line break (although it's not a must but I've read it in quite a lot of examiner's reports)

Dont put a line break they are not a good idea
Reply 35

When we use a digital meter we usually use "HALF RANGE" (which is range/2 ; (max value-min value)/2 )
and when we use analogue meter we use Range, and in other boards such as IB they would be very specific in this regard!
But in edexcel they accept both in any case so it doesn't matter! My teacher advised me to use half range in both cases so I always do that, but you could do any x)
Reply 36
Original post by samb1234
Dont put a line break they are not a good idea

Why not? I've seen it in quite alot of places!
Original post by Aimen.
Why not? I've seen it in quite alot of places!

Im not specifically talking about your exam here btw, but there are several reasons. Firstly, if you draw your line of best fit through that reason you are implying that it is still a linear relationship even in that region which wont be true as non linear scale. Secondly, why would you? As mentioned above, we cant draw our line of best fit through that region anyway which may not be immediately obvious to you. We also can't use it to find the y intercept for the same reason, which again people might not spot. In general, its just an unnecessary and sometimes unhelpful thing to do if youre not careful
Original post by Aimen.
Bro don't you really know that AS practicals are included?? Like we mostly get these LDR and thermistor stuff?

I know that they are included! Just the fact that I can't rely on them on what they give or not!
Reply 39
Original post by samb1234
Im not specifically talking about your exam here btw, but there are several reasons. Firstly, if you draw your line of best fit through that reason you are implying that it is still a linear relationship even in that region which wont be true as non linear scale. Secondly, why would you? As mentioned above, we cant draw our line of best fit through that region anyway which may not be immediately obvious to you. We also can't use it to find the y intercept for the same reason, which again people might not spot. In general, its just an unnecessary and sometimes unhelpful thing to do if youre not careful

Well Thankyou! I won't draw it x)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending