The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandabär
Erm...(just my two cents) Don't stand in the way (almost impossible), and don't bombard them with questions when they're clearly thinking something through. Introduce yourself to patients then just stand there without interrupting anything the doctor says. Say thank you at the end of consultations with patients. Look interested when the doctors explain stuff to you.

It's not hard. I just did everything above and the F2, registrars and consultants I shadowed seemed happy enough. If you don't annoy them they're more likely to spend time explaining things, like mri scans and ecg results to you, and take you to see their most interesting cases. I didn't ask anything like 'why medicine?' because they are already qualified so it seems almost irrelevant. Also, it's the kind of thing you need to figure out for yourself, and a busy A&E department isn't exactly the time or place for such convos. :tongue:

It's great fun, though. You'll learn loads. :smile:

Perfect. Great advice! :smile:
Original post by digitalis
Perfect. Great advice! :smile:

Cheers. :colondollar:

When I actually get into GEM I will keep it up.
Hello, I currently volunteer once a week as a play worker at an adventure centre for disabled children and I will also start to volunteer as heart failure and stroke volunteer at Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland (where I will mentor and talk to someone who has suffered a stroke or who has heart failure) on a weekly or once every two week basis. Would this be a good quantity of work experience? I will be applying for 2014 entry so I have a lot of time.

I'm aware that it is how much you learn and reflect on the experience which matters most but I'm also aware of how universities, especially Edinburgh, where I hope to go to look at three categories: diseased, disabled and disadvantaged. Would this work experience fit these three categories?

I also volunteer at Oxfam for my D of E and I'm doing a Saltire award, which basically gives you an award for volunteering. I also quite bit of volunteering at school, as head of charities comitee and as part of the Amnesty international group. The saltire award basically helps me reflect more on experiences and it gives an award on completion of 200 hours of volunteering.

Could someone please answer?
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
What do you mean contact details? Of the specific doctor you shadowed?

It can be the doctor you shadowed, or if it wasnt a specific person just the concultant / sister on the ward where you were - essentially just anyone who can vouch that you were actually there :smile:
Original post by -Neuro-
Hello, I currently volunteer once ....
....Could someone please answer?

I would say working with disabled children would come under "disabled and disadvantaged" and volunteering at a heart failure and stroke unit counts as "diseased". Volunteering at the unit will be good work experience but also remember you'll also need hospital work experience :smile: All your other volunteering placements are all very good and I would say you're doing quite a lot, so make sure it doesn't affect your academics! :smile:
Original post by zhang599
I would say working with disabled children would come under "disabled and disadvantaged" and volunteering at a heart failure and stroke unit counts as "diseased". Volunteering at the unit will be good work experience but also remember you'll also need hospital work experience :smile: All your other volunteering placements are all very good and I would say you're doing quite a lot, so make sure it doesn't affect your academics! :smile:

Thank you for your help! I will make sure it doesn't effect my academics! :smile:

I did 1 week in cardiothoracic surgery. I'm going to a research project for Edinburgh neuroscience in the Summer, and I'm organising a week in urology (as I know the doctor who works in that department) and a week in GP. Next year I'm going to do this thing called Medic insight, which is basically work experience but in many different departments with some additional activites. Will this be OK? Would it be a varied enough experience?
Original post by -Neuro-
Thank you for your help! I will make sure it doesn't effect my academics! :smile:
I did 1 week in cardiothoracic surgery. I'm going to a research project for Edinburgh neuroscience in the Summer, and I'm organising a week in urology (as I know the doctor who works in that department) and a week in GP. Next year I'm going to do this thing called Medic insight, which is basically work experience but in many different departments with some additional activites. Will this be OK? Would it be a varied enough experience?

No problem, always happy to help! :smile: And I would think that would be varied enough work experience and as you know it's how you write/talk about it that's important. You've certainly done/going to do quite a bit more then I did so I think you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 5867
Original post by BlueRoses
I feel terribly underqualified!

BlueRoses: 1 week's school work experience in a Neuroscience ward, 6 months volunteering at a nursing home, 3 years Rainbows young leader.

i had 2 weeks in a hospital, 4 weeks gp surgery and i got 3 interviews, i think this was because i went crazy on the fact that i had done doe, brownies etc
I'm not entirely sure if I'll be in a lab or somewhere else, but it'll be at the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences at the Uni of Glasgow... I think.
Original post by eventidexc
I'm not entirely sure if I'll be in a lab or somewhere else, but it'll be at the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences at the Uni of Glasgow... I think.

The smarter the better as a general rule.
Play it safe and just wear a white officey style shirt and black trousers with smart shoes. :biggrin:
Smart but not too smart...i.e. no need for a suit (or the girl equivalent of a suit :o:).

If you're going to be in the lab I'd say something comfortable, you will be standing around a lot.
I would dress as if I go to work... after all its work experience isn't it :wink: but yeah comfortable is important so comfy shoes... its easier to say then done but just chill and try to enjoy yourself
Dress smartly but don't go overboard.
Wear a pair of scrubs, and perform surgery. Like Mr Bean did.
Shirt + tie (not a horrible combo from Georges), black/dark grey trousers and polished leather shoes. Can always de-tie as required.
I can't seem to find a hospice or care home that will take me on, however I've managed to find a residential home who organise a weekly meet up on Wednesdays for 3 hours in the community and help people with mental health problems. Is this sufficient to show a caring attitude or would working with the elderly be better?
(edited 11 years ago)
Are you applying for dentistry? I know most medical schools are understanding that sometimes people cannot gain great quality work experience, but they will also be impressed if you state that you persisted and gained that residential home experience helping those with mental health problems. Combine this with relevant, clinical shadowing in dentistry and you should be okay.
Original post by wannabedentist2013
I can't seem to find a hospice or care home that will take me on, however I've managed to find a residential home who organise a weekly meet up on Wednesdays for 3 hours in the community and help people with mental health problems. Is this sufficient to show a caring attitude or would working with the elderly be better?

Mental health is a medical condition so it's relevant. Plus they like to see any long term voluntary work.
Reply 5879
Original post by wannabedentist2013

As long as you have contact with people and are improving/demonstrating skills essential for a doctor to have (i.e. interpersonal skills; being a good listener, being empathetic etc., and are able to communicate this and reflect on your experience well in your PS), then it is most definitely relevant.

Latest

Trending

Trending