The Student Room Group

Looking for a job but nobody will hire me

I'm 20 years old with no work experience and my dad says that that's the reason for my lack of job application replys because most companies expect that 20 years olds should already have some work experience but I don't know the get the experience in the 1st place when nobody will give me a chance.

I don't know if my cv is the issue or what.
Honestly depends on what kinda jobs you’re trying to apply to. I’m assuming you are trying to get some sort of non degree related, part time work. If you seriously somehow have no work experience whatsoever ask your dad if he can give some informal work experience. Also just lie about some other work (eg say you worked at a pub or retail etc for a few months) to fill up the rest of the CV and apply to temp agencies/staffing/hospitality events which just want workers and don’t bother with interviews or finding references. Or you can try applying to regular part time jobs with this fake CV and then aiming to bluff your way through the interview. This definitely isn’t very ethical and you can easily get caught out, but a lot of respectfully low skill jobs ask for an unreasonable amount of experience and are really easy to pick up. However if your trying to get a job related to your degree then get your grades up (aim for First or 2:1) and start networking, cold emailing and applying to placement schemes.
Reply 2
Original post by AprilJune63
Honestly depends on what kinda jobs you’re trying to apply to. I’m assuming you are trying to get some sort of non degree related, part time work. If you seriously somehow have no work experience whatsoever ask your dad if he can give some informal work experience. Also just lie about some other work (eg say you worked at a pub or retail etc for a few months) to fill up the rest of the CV and apply to temp agencies/staffing/hospitality events which just want workers and don’t bother with interviews or finding references. Or you can try applying to regular part time jobs with this fake CV and then aiming to bluff your way through the interview. This definitely isn’t very ethical and you can easily get caught out, but a lot of respectfully low skill jobs ask for an unreasonable amount of experience and are really easy to pick up. However if your trying to get a job related to your degree then get your grades up (aim for First or 2:1) and start networking, cold emailing and applying to placement schemes.

Lying on your CV isn't just unethical, n the UK it's illegal.
Reply 3
Original post by toppby55
I'm 20 years old with no work experience and my dad says that that's the reason for my lack of job application replys because most companies expect that 20 years olds should already have some work experience but I don't know the get the experience in the 1st place when nobody will give me a chance.

You don't need direct 'work experience', you need transferable skills that show responsibility, problem-solving, teamwork or whatever is being asked for in the job advert. These skills can come from clubs, societies or volunteering, and if you aren't doing anything else at the moment get involved in the latter. What have you done since age 16, apart from education?

Get your CV reviewed.
Reply 4

There's a smart way to get about it, but it does take a bit of grinding. You got to look up a hundred companies in your locality - maybe within 1 hour of travelling. Then say you're looking for a 3 month internship in a particular field, and that you want no money, just the experience.

Companies want free work. They won't really mind if all you ask is a reference letter at the end.

The catch is, when they find out your services are valuable, they likely will ask you to stay on - paid.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?
How about doing some voluntary work (e.g. in a charity shop, cats/dogs/pets rescue place etc etc) to get some experience until you manage to get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending