The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nempozpag
That we are all patriotic numpties who believe the empire should be reinitiated. That we believe in our government to do the right thing (not surprising since we've only once come close to anything resembling social revolution, cheers Wat Tyler). Oh and tea drinking... I swear people drink tea just to meet the stereotype so I guess it's not entirely inaccurate O.o

To be fair a lot of people drink tea, besides surely it's not that annoying a stereotype :P

Tbh I think the stereotype of England has shifted from the upper class to chavs.
Reply 41
Well, where shall I start ............ the one where according to CAPRI SUN-juice drink :

'people in Nepal eat oranges without peeling them'...

Oh gosh...I really cannot comprehend where they got that one from!:woo: :confused:
Reply 42
We're all job stealing gypsies who live in medieval villages and drink vodka and soup all day.
Reply 43
Spaniards:
We are lazy.
We shout when talking.
We don't fancy learning foreign languages ("pa' qué, si hablamos ya castellano").
We eat paella all day long.
We all like bull-fighting (this is ironic because Catalan government wants to make it illegal in Catalonia right now).
We dance sevillanas, and we like them.
We feel inferior to Europe.
We don't like the fact of the massive immigration Spain's been experiencing for the last few years.
We sleep siesta.
We all love ham. (Most do, but e.g. I hate ham.)
We are a united country (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha).
We are the least patriotic people I've ever known.
Et cetera.

Except the last one, all of them are false, I reckon. (Well, most of us shout sometimes, but not as loud as in other countries, I believe.)
If I can think of more, I'll put them in here.
Dumdedoobie
Thiss. You forgot drunk though!

Yeah I did. How could I have forgotten that? It should have been first on the list.
Whenever I see brits in American TV, they fall into two bizarre/extreme groups.

1) Mega-posh, funny queen accents, tea-drinking, "mummy" and "daddy", rich, have house-servants, completely naive.

2) Cockney, probably involved in crime, literally grew up as Roger the Dodger etc (literally speak in rhyming slang)

Yet again, it's not that bad - there are places with much worse stereotypes. I don't think we come off as bad from stereotyping as the Americans do.

EDIT: Also, I really can't complain because I take evil delight in stereotypes about other countries. As long as they're in jest, and you don't seriously believe all stereotypes (ie: you treat people like individuals) then stereotypes aren't that bad :p: They're fun.
Reply 46
The Congo:

They drink Umbongo
Reply 47
KirstyK
Canadian Stereotypes-
We live in igloos
We are lumberjacks
We always say 'eh'
We have beavers for pets
We have snow all year round and go skiing in July
We have a President
We don't have electricity.

You forgot that you eat maple syrup all day too
Reply 48
We have the freshie accent
We'll haggle as much as possible
We have small penis
We eat curry for breakfast, lunch and Dinner
Our idea of romance is dancing around a tree, and we never kiss the girl because she always puts her shall in the way ffs.
We are amazing at maths/computers

As I'm also Lebanoese:
We smoke sheesha all day
We want to kill all Israel
We are the most handsome race in the world (thats actually true :wink:)
That everyone drinks guiness..

Fyi, i hate guiness
all Greeks are lazy and try to steal money :/
Teaddict
My personal favourite is this classic stereotypical view of British people in that they are all wealthy snobs with posh accents, related to Lizzie, love tea and eat crumpets and biscuits. The normal stereotype for us Brits. If only this stereotype was true though. Shamefully, it isn't. Some Brits are complete opposites; some cannot speak English correctly, some are about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest whilst others have a vocabulary only consisting of swear words.

Apparently this is our old stereotype. I've discussed this a lot with my German flatmate and apparently we're now more renowned for being rude, loud, drunk and slutty. Oh, and ugly :rolleyes:

J DOT A
We have the freshie accent
We'll haggle as much as possible
We have small penis
We eat curry for breakfast, lunch and Dinner
Our idea of romance is dancing around a tree, and we never kiss the girl because she always puts her shall in the way ffs.
We are amazing at maths/computers

As I'm also Lebanoese:
We smoke sheesha all day
We want to kill all Israel
We are the most handsome race in the world (thats actually true :wink:)

Are you really Armenian? :woo:
I find it irritating how people look down on you if you want to be rich and "make a lot of money". You work hard, you play hard is what i say.
Tea and Crumpets. Generally lazy and stupid. Lame workers. A country that went from all to nothing. Yeh that's us.
Reply 54
That we have polar bears and always snows. We are always drunk and we have something in common with Russia (not true at all).

This is from Finland...
Reply 55
Some people seem to think every chinese person knows kung fu... at least that's the impression i got when i first started primary school and all the boys would be asking me about jackie chan and jet li etc
dont finish that statemen
I have seen at all of stereotypes about countries it is always bothers me. Don't you all hate when people of other countries say those annoying, stupid and irritating stereotypes about your own country and people?
for ex: in UK you never can eat good food; all Americans are ignorant and fat; all Germans are violent and shout a lot; Swedish women are nympho; Italian are disorganized; Mexican are lazy; and so on.
Tell me the worst or the stupid ones you have read or heard about your country.

All Arabs are polygamist. :facepalm:
Reply 57
tallyho chaps, chocks away, what what what.
You can't tell me you don't like crumpets though. Warmed crumpets moistened with melted butter mmm :awesome:
That we all speak Welsh.
That there's a sheep for everyone.
We have no electricity/only found fire last week/cars are run a la The Flintstones.

Latest

Trending

Trending