The Student Room Group

A guy said ‘oh is that *my name*’ ?

I was in this lunch queue and I was behind a group of boys.
I’ve been talking to this guy recently as I sit next to him in maths. We’ve been messaging each other for quite a long time. I’m in sixth form (year 13 to be precise).
The sixth form is joined to a secondary school.
I only joined the sixth form in yr12. Before that, I went to a different school. The boys infront of me in the queue went to the secondary school too and then the sixth form so they’ve been at the school for really long.
I’m not that know either. I focus on my work and I don’t go out much.
I was with my friends laughing and then one boy said ‘is that *my name*?’
And then the boy shouted the name of the guy I’m talking to get his attention as he was across the room.
He kept asking me ‘are you two going out’ etc and ofc we are not.

My friends said to me ‘I wouldn’t have that’ when the guy said ‘is that *my name*’.

At first I took what he said in the way that I’m not popular and not know so he doesn’t know who I am. I didn’t mind that cuz idc if I’m known or not. I don’t share any classes with any of them and I’ve never spoken to either of them in my life.

However, annoying I overthink a lot and now I’m scared that he might have meant it in a different way? What if he meant that ‘oh is that *my name*’ because what if the guy im talking to mentioned my name and the boys in the queue didn’t know who I was so they were expecting a pretty girl and I didn’t meet their expectations and so they think I’m ugly.

This is what my anxiety does to me lol.
IK I might be over thinking this a lot but I’m scared
Reply 1
When I said ‘group of boys’ I meant just 2 boys lol.
And only one of them said ‘oh is that *my name*
Original post by Anonymous
When I said ‘group of boys’ I meant just 2 boys lol.
And only one of them said ‘oh is that *my name*

Jumping to conclusions based on a person's name or appearance is a common mistake that we all make. However, it's important to remember that this scenario is often created by our own minds and doesn't necessarily reflect reality. Next time you catch yourself overthinking, take a step back and consider whether your assumptions are based on facts or just your own biases.Or don't worry if they were thinking u go out with someone , they are just making jokes ..plus a lot of people know others outside of classes , I know a lot of kids who weren't even in a single class with me and I wouldn't talk to who weren't popular too.
Reply 3
Jumping to conclusions based on a person's name or appearance is a common mistake that we all make. However, it's important to remember that this scenario is often created by our own minds and doesn't necessarily reflect reality. Next time you catch yourself overthinking, take a step back and consider whether your assumptions are based on facts or just your own biases.Or don't worry if they were thinking u go out with someone , they are just making jokes ..plus a lot of people know others outside of classes , I know a lot of kids who weren't even in a single class with me and I wouldn't talk to who weren't popular too.

Thanks for this. How can I overcome the overthinking? It really does seem to be a problem of mine. This seems insane but I try to go on literal dating sites to get other peoples approval. I find myself pretty. I think I’m genuinely pretty. But still, I seem to want to seek others approval and it’s so sad
Thanks for this. How can I overcome the overthinking? It really does seem to be a problem of mine. This seems insane but I try to go on literal dating sites to get other peoples approval. I find myself pretty. I think I’m genuinely pretty. But still, I seem to want to seek others approval and it’s so sad

i cant really give a good answer to it as I also struggle with overthinking , but in my opinion as you are in year 13 , the most crucial year of school , I wouldn't personally waste my time on relationships - it depends if you want to go to uni ofc

you can use dating sites like bumble , tinder i guess , i don't really know much
if you think you are pretty you would be.

i am someone who is considered stereotypically ugly in my own country and england i would say mainly cause i am south east asian.

so i overthink a lot but you do you and i wish you all the best.
Reply 5
i cant really give a good answer to it as I also struggle with overthinking , but in my opinion as you are in year 13 , the most crucial year of school , I wouldn't personally waste my time on relationships - it depends if you want to go to uni ofc

you can use dating sites like bumble , tinder i guess , i don't really know much
if you think you are pretty you would be.

i am someone who is considered stereotypically ugly in my own country and england i would say mainly cause i am south east asian.

so i overthink a lot but you do you and i wish you all the best.

Hi, thanks for your response.
Honestly I don’t intend on being in a relationship yet. My prime focus is to do well in my alevels.
It just made me overthink and I always start reconsidering whether or not I’m pretty enough for society, Though I think I am.

It really derails me
Hi, thanks for your response.
Honestly I don’t intend on being in a relationship yet. My prime focus is to do well in my alevels.
It just made me overthink and I always start reconsidering whether or not I’m pretty enough for society, Though I think I am.

It really derails me

i would say , in uni , most people are mature enough to accept everyone . you would most probably find your significant other there , i would say to focus on your a levels
you are pretty if you do think so
I don't think I am - due to a lot of reasons

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending