The Student Room Group

Why do people make fun of people with big families?

I strongly desire to have a large family of three or four children. However, it appears that the common practice nowadays is to limit the number of kids to two. Does society ridicule individuals with big families?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I strongly desire to have a large family of three or four children. However, it appears that the common practice nowadays is to limit the number of kids to two. Does society ridicule individuals with big families?

I dont know. I have a big family but that is common in our homeschool group. I have 3 younger brothers and one younger sister.
Sometimes people mock the preachy jerks and annoying braggers.

Particularly the noisy types that have large families with lots of young biological children because they either believe in religious elements like quiverful, are polygamists, enjoy adding to their collection of bio children for status reasons similar to expensive watches/luxury handbags or are jerks that won't shut up about how having babies whenever they want makes them very clever/talented/special/rich/unique and thus entitled to admiration.
Reply 3
I mean, I have four older siblings and all I ever got was 'wow, that's a lot' and then nothing else. There are fairly negative stereotypes associated with having lots of kids close together, namely about religion and birth control and the like. If you had three or four kids, though, I don't think most people would particularly care so long as you raise them to not be disruptive in public, and as long as you don't preach about how good having a big family is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending