The Student Room Group

Race row after woman told she is 'too dark' to be a Hobbit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
I don't know and of Colin's work tbh. I can't comment.

Lazenby I can give or take, Brosnan was the worst Bond we've ever had IMO. Saying that, I'm not convinced any actor could have made Brosnan's role decent. Those films were utter tripe (except Goldeneye, that was good).

He played the agent that seemed to pop up in operations in the Brosnan era. Character was called Charles.

As for Brosnan, he's only second best to Connery! I can't stand Moore myself.
Reply 41
What? The whole point of an extra is that you LOOK the way they want. If she was doing something behind the scenes fair enough, but this is just stupid.
Reply 42
i understand both sides
firstly her side cus i don't see why they must be pale skinned. It the part of an extra i don't recall reading that all hobbits were white.
their side the acting world are very strict when it comes to casting if they envision a character to look a certain way they very rarely compromise.
Reply 43
Original post by Beska
That's ridiculous. Yeh, let's just change the whole ****ing backstory so one silly little woman can talk to her grandkids about how she was in the background of some ****ty sequel.

Prequel

:biggrin:

Edit: Just noticed that someone else got there before me :sigh: I'll just leave.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Casting is one of the only places you can discriminate on grounds of sex or race. If brown hobbits don't fit the bill, then they don't. If the Hobbit's were a rainbow of colours it would look bloody stupid - they are meant to be an individual race.
Reply 45
I get where the casting guys are coming from because it is likely that Tolkien did imagine the Hobbits as White (due to the times/place he was living in) and also, as someone else has said they are meant to be an individual race so having one brown one amongst a group of white ones isn't exactly going to make sense.

On the other hand, i don't think many people would even notice if she was there, so it wouldn't have really caused any harm in casting her.

Overall though, i just think it's a non story and she's attention seeking. I've never been to an audition but i know they do specify what physical attributes they are looking for. If people are so anti racist, then surely specifying a certain skin colour should be no different to specifying a certain hair or eye colour.
Reply 46
I hate it when people use the race card. Too many people do this nowadays.

Off topic has anyone noticed that in the UK it is practically impossible for a white person to accuse someone else of being racist without it being thrown in their face?
Original post by domino0806
They could've offered her the role of a goblin...

If I had any more (obviously positive) rep to be giving out today, you'd totally be getting it XD
It's Tolkien fault for not inculding coloured peeps in his books init
It's got nothing to do with racism. The Hobbits are all white. It's like getting a woman to play Henry VIII. Or Vannessa Feltz to play an anorexic person. Or getting a black guy to play Nick Griffin in a film (admittedly I would love to see that).
Hobbits are white, she is not. You wouldn't get a white man complaining that he wasn't allowed to be cast as Nelson Mandela, would you?
Reply 51
What next, a 7ft man complaining about being turned down to play Mini Me? A 70 year old granny moaning about not getting the part of the young girl next door in the latest romcom? I also noticed she said "in 2010 films should represent their viewers all around the world". **** off, they represent nothing but the world the film portrays. You wouldn't have a white bloke complaining about not getting to play Martin Luther King, would you?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
When they make a film covering the life of Barack Obama. I'm going to audition, and if I don't get through all hell is gonna break loose tbh.

(i'm white)
Reply 53
Original post by HarryA
That's not fair, come on though I would not drop the racist card. I'm Paki myself and I wouldn't do it. I'd rather speak to whoever was in charge and ask him to reconsider.

Anyway, question:

Would James Bond still be James Bond if he was black or Asian?

We already have Shaft and Jet Li.

Jamal bond lol.
How utterly ridiculous. It's not about racism, it's about casting true to the book. She didn't match the appearance criteria - if she'd had dyed blue hair she'd have doubtless been turned away as well.
Reply 55
I know how she feels - I was rejected for the film Zulu for being too white to be a Zulu :frown:
Reply 56
Doctor Who being a woman or non white from time to time would be fine I think because of the nature of the character. James Bond being non white would just be ridiculous.
Reply 57
Original post by Captain92
AND would The Doctor (Dr Who) still be the Doctor if he was black or shock horror a woman .
These questions remain to be answered.

As for my own opinion discrimination = :mad:
I imagine there is more to this story than meets the eye, I don't see why they wouldn't give her a part as an extra... there were hundreds of background hobbits in The Fellowship of the Ring that I barely noticed, they were pretty much just props.

Exactly the whole point of extras is not to be noticed but to add to the atmosphere and realism of the film, if you suddenly had a cast of multiracial hobbits it would draw attention to them and away from the main characters and the story, which would in many ways spoil the film. It would also beg questions as to how a multiracial bunch of hobbits turned all white in the (in terms of the story) later films.
All the hobbits in the books are white. All n3gr03z in Middle Earth are called "Easterlings", and are mostly evil.

Edit: It's true, goddamn neggers! (Oops, that sounded a bit racist as well)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Article.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the casting team issuing an outright blanket ban on extras who are not pale-skinned, I find her comments so inane. It just seems that as she failed to meet the appearance requirements and didn't get what she wanted, she is dropping the racism card.

The film industry should be entitled to discriminate on the basis of appearance to reasonably cast appropriately for a role.

I'm 6ft2 and they wouldn't let me do it... HEIGHTISM!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending