The Student Room Group

English Language B AQA Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

A lot of people seem to be stressing over the gender question! I thought it was odd but not that bad..
How did everyone find the gender question? :confused:
Reply 41
I didn't really like the grouping texts, didn't use text F but did bcg for graphology to persuade, ade for short declaratives and ab for interrogatives
Did power, that was a really nice text, wrote 3 and a half pages for that so hopefully it's good 😃
Did have a sore hand afterwards 👎
Overall probably a B but would love an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I found the novel text a bit odd because it was hard to group with anything :/ so I left it out
Then for question B I did the power question which I thought was relatively easy, did anyone else do power?
Original post by beth1995x
I found the novel text a bit odd because it was hard to group with anything :/ so I left it out
Then for question B I did the power question which I thought was relatively easy, did anyone else do power?

A lot of people missed out that novel text! There's usually one each year that people seem to miss out because it's hard to pick language features out of!
Reply 44
Original post by Abbiedaniella
A lot of people missed out that novel text! There's usually one each year that people seem to miss out because it's hard to pick language features out of!

That's ok then! I just hope you don't lose marks for not including one :s-smilie:
I actually really liked this exam. I'm more confident on the context questions, so I did the gender one first. On the surface it looked really tough, but once I started annotating it I thought it was good. The grouping texts was a bit nicer than I thought it was going to be...
What groups did everyone do?
What points did people write about for the gender question?
Reply 46
Am I the only one who wasn't too keen on the power question? Did people put it was instrumental power or influential power?!
Original post by Abbiedaniella
A lot of people seem to be stressing over the gender question! I thought it was odd but not that bad..
How did everyone find the gender question? :confused:

I thought it was actually really good - when I first saw it though I was quite upset. But then I started annotating it and then my ideas started flowing. What things did you talk about?
Reply 48
Original post by Nomboog
Am I the only one who wasn't too keen on the power question? Did people put it was instrumental power or influential power?!

I put it was both instrumental and influential power =) I wasn't entirely sure on what the purpose of it was though...
I used the novel text in a grouping with the cycling text for formality.. our teacher said we lose points for missing texts out so i clutched at straws and did that.

Really didn't like gender, felt like I was repeating myself after everything 'men should aspire to be athletes etc', that's all i could think of :frown:
Reply 50
Original post by beth1995x
I put it was both instrumental and influential power =) I wasn't entirely sure on what the purpose of it was though...

Yeah that sounds right, I put it was only influential :/ I just put that the purpose was kind of to persuade parents its a good school. Although I wasn't too sure about who was the more powerful participant as even though it may be the headteacher, it could be the parents aswell as they're the ones who determine if their child goes to the school or not, but im not sure :s-smilie: Felt like I should of wrote more on politneness strategies too :/
Original post by Sm96
Hi does anyone have any ideas on what will come up for language and gender tomorrow? For example a transcript or extract etc? I hope it's a transcript, if not I may cry!haha

How did you find the gender question and the website page thingy...When I first saw it I was confused and thought that it was the technology question....it was ok I thought
Original post by abcdemily95
I used the novel text in a grouping with the cycling text for formality.. our teacher said we lose points for missing texts out so i clutched at straws and did that.

Really didn't like gender, felt like I was repeating myself after everything 'men should aspire to be athletes etc', that's all i could think of :frown:

I was the exact same in the grouping texts. I can't remember which texts I used but I know that I did a group on short sentences, pragmatics and imperative verbs. What did you do?
I was very repetitive in the gender question as well!
I still quite liked it though....Really want an A in this exam :redface:
Original post by lilacwanda28
I was the exact same in the grouping texts. I can't remember which texts I used but I know that I did a group on short sentences, pragmatics and imperative verbs. What did you do?
I was very repetitive in the gender question as well!
I still quite liked it though....Really want an A in this exam :redface:

think i did one on spontaneous speech, one for graphology, persuasive, adult audience.. then i did a few shorter ones i think just to make sure!

I think i've gone wrong on the gender haha! I talked a bit about the colour scheme aimed at males, then basically stressing the importance of physical activity etc, lack of female language e.g. empty adjectives.

I know the feeling, this is my third time sitting this exam, i refuse to do it again! haha
Reply 54
Original post by Nomboog
Yeah that sounds right, I put it was only influential :/ I just put that the purpose was kind of to persuade parents its a good school. Although I wasn't too sure about who was the more powerful participant as even though it may be the headteacher, it could be the parents aswell as they're the ones who determine if their child goes to the school or not, but im not sure :s-smilie: Felt like I should of wrote more on politneness strategies too :/

Hmmm it probably doesn't matter who you said was more powerful as long as you could justify why :smile: I didn't write anything about politness, I included some bits on fairclough, goffman, grice and then wrote a bit about convergence
Reply 55
Yeah, I thought gender was a small struggle but I did manage to pick quite a few points.. I hope!

For the novel I just grouped it in simple/minor sentences!
Original post by abcdemily95
think i did one on spontaneous speech, one for graphology, persuasive, adult audience.. then i did a few shorter ones i think just to make sure!

I think i've gone wrong on the gender haha! I talked a bit about the colour scheme aimed at males, then basically stressing the importance of physical activity etc, lack of female language e.g. empty adjectives.

I know the feeling, this is my third time sitting this exam, i refuse to do it again! haha

I really wanted to do one on spontaneous speech too but 1. I wouldn't have had enough time and 2. My teacher said that grouping transcripts together isn't one of the best groups you can make because when people do it they don't talk about it in a lot of detail. I'm sure though if you talked about it correctly and included other texts apart from the two transcripts that it'll be fine xD
That was great, except Power. They really didn't give us much to go on in that text, but I still got my 2 pages so it's not the end of the world.
And the timing. Somehow I got it into my head that it was 1 hour and 30 minutes, so after 1 hour and 25 minutes I was rushing my arse off trying to finish it. Felt kinda stupid sitting there for the last half hour :s-smilie:
Reply 58
I was almost tempted to group one speech in subject specific lexis because of how they were talking about music, but I wouldn't of been able to do anything with the other speech text!
Original post by chellls
Yeah, I thought gender was a small struggle but I did manage to pick quite a few points.. I hope!

For the novel I just grouped it in simple/minor sentences!

I did the same group with that one! Loads of people have been saying that they didn't write about the novel because they couldn't find anything to go with it. My teacher told us to make sure we write about every text bc our mark will drop significantly she said. I thought the texts were quite nice though and then I did the gender question which I liked as well.
What points did you talk about for gender?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending