The Student Room Group

What does getting a tattoo feel like?

Scroll to see replies

I have one on my wrist and one just below the nape of my neck. The wrist one was a lot more painful and bled a lot more than the one on my neck. Pain wise I agree that it's like a hot blade being dragged through your skin, but it is bearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems good, but it can be on a part which can be shown or hide at times as per requirement.
Reply 42
Still not got my tattoo yet :frown: deffo going to get it done before I go to Ireland next month though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Still not got my tattoo yet :/ been too skint to get it done after going to Ireland. Still gonna get it done when I have the money though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Random question but how painful to you think a tatt would be in this location - inside of arm near the elbow crease but not directly on the crease?
Original post by Yasmin25
Random question but how painful to you think a tatt would be in this location - inside of arm near the elbow crease but not directly on the crease?

Probably less-to-same as a wrist tattoo.
Reply 46
Original post by Kaylaleigh
I have a couple - my first one is one my forearm and I was super SUPER nervous, the guy said 'I'm just gonna do this little dot here first' and he did it I was like, is that it!?! Kinda feels like a constant cat sctratch at times, other times just a vibratey feeling under the skin. The guy who did mine has one of those silent guns too which I think helped! Some parts made me clench my teeth a little but like as soon as it's done you forget about it and it didn't put me off getting a second! Wrist I hear is more painful due to being boney but again I'm sure nothing too bad! And because it's a pretty simple tattoo it'll be fine :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I ended up having to reschedule my first appointment so I'm going in a week or so to finally get it done. I'm thinking of getting it done on my forearm since that has more fat on it than my wrist, plus I can hide it if need be.

I have 2 cats so I'm used to cat scratches! They are bloody painful and I usually cry when I get scratched but I think that is because I usually get scratched by accident so I'm not expecting it so it feels worse if that makes sense? Hopefully knowing that I will feel pain when I get a tatt makes me a bit more prepared!

I don't know if any studios in my area use quiet guns, I'll need to see because that would probably help a lot. Its like going to the dentist, hearing the sound of the drill is worse than the actual drill in your mouth! Lol
Thanks for your reply :smile:

I ended up having to reschedule my first appointment so I'm going in a week or so to finally get it done. I'm thinking of getting it done on my forearm since that has more fat on it than my wrist, plus I can hide it if need be.

I have 2 cats so I'm used to cat scratches! They are bloody painful and I usually cry when I get scratched but I think that is because I usually get scratched by accident so I'm not expecting it so it feels worse if that makes sense? Hopefully knowing that I will feel pain when I get a tatt makes me a bit more prepared!

I don't know if any studios in my area use quiet guns, I'll need to see because that would probably help a lot. Its like going to the dentist, hearing the sound of the drill is worse than the actual drill in your mouth! Lol

Just to weigh in with the noise thing- I got my tattoo done to the average 'bzzz' sound, and thinking of having it done silent, I think I'm glad there was noise. If you're anything like me, when someone's holding needles around my skin I get all paranoid it's in my skin and then I get phantom pain. But with the noise, I know if anything is going on or not!

But honestly, the pain isn't too bad :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by syrettd
Just to weigh in with the noise thing- I got my tattoo done to the average 'bzzz' sound, and thinking of having it done silent, I think I'm glad there was noise. If you're anything like me, when someone's holding needles around my skin I get all paranoid it's in my skin and then I get phantom pain. But with the noise, I know if anything is going on or not!

But honestly, the pain isn't too bad :smile:

Ah yeah I see what you mean about having the typical noisy gun! I honestly dunno what I would prefer then. I'm such a noob when it comes to things like tatts and piercings lol.

What kind of tatt have you got? :smile:
Ah yeah I see what you mean about having the typical noisy gun! I honestly dunno what I would prefer then. I'm such a noob when it comes to things like tatts and piercings lol.

What kind of tatt have you got? :smile:

I kind of just wanted to give you a different perspective, so if your tattooist didn't have the silent kind you wouldn't be too put off :smile: either way it'll work out well!

I got a star kind of thing on my wrist, with sort of swirly things on either side of it. Really happy with it, would like to get more but I have no idea what!
Reply 50
Original post by syrettd
I kind of just wanted to give you a different perspective, so if your tattooist didn't have the silent kind you wouldn't be too put off :smile: either way it'll work out well!

I got a star kind of thing on my wrist, with sort of swirly things on either side of it. Really happy with it, would like to get more but I have no idea what!

Aw that sounds like a nice tatt :smile:

I've read up so many of peoples experiences, watched youtube vids etc and mostly everyone says the same thing "they are painful but bearable and worth it." I'm the kinda person that can hear 99 good experiences and hear 1 bad one and I focus on the bad one and assume that's what I'm going to be like! Lol. The pain will suck but like everyone says, its manageable and will be done soon. I'm worried about fainting or passing out more but I've heard that's almost always because you haven't ate before it so can't deal with the adrenaline rush rather than anything to do with how painful it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw that sounds like a nice tatt :smile:

I've read up so many of peoples experiences, watched youtube vids etc and mostly everyone says the same thing "they are painful but bearable and worth it." I'm the kinda person that can hear 99 good experiences and hear 1 bad one and I focus on the bad one and assume that's what I'm going to be like! Lol. The pain will suck but like everyone says, its manageable and will be done soon. I'm worried about fainting or passing out more but I've heard that's almost always because you haven't ate before it so can't deal with the adrenaline rush rather than anything to do with how painful it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could actually be good, if you convince yourself it will be really bad but still get it done anyway, you'll have a pleasant surprise when it's not as bad as you were expecting! I was told it was more like an irritation, but I found it a little worse than that. If you feel like you're going to pass out or just need a break, your tattooist should stop for a bit if you ask them to, particularly if it's your first one :smile:
I had a 4 hour one on my foot and it's a weird feeling; not necessarily painful but not comfortable either. After a few minutes the discomfort subsides a little, i guess the skin gets used to it or naturally numbs itself? It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but don't imagine going in and not feeling anything at all. Make sure you have a big carby meal beforehand, and take some sweets you can suck on throughout so you don't faint. If you stop for a break it seems more painful when it starts again, so unless its hours long or the tattooist needs a break try and see it through in one go :smile:
I have 11 tattoos and it all depends where you get it really. Wrist is uncomfortable especially as it goes over your veins it's not unbearable though.

At the end of the day it hurts no matter where you get it, it's just more bearable in some places than others.

Make sure you eat before you go otherwise you WILL feel faint and light headed.
How does a tattoo feel I have been booked in on Friday at 6 pm and never had a tattoo before and want to know what it feels like on my soulder :smile:
I was thinking of getting a tattoo, but reading through these comments I'm scared to. I have a really low pain threshold so I might just stick to temporary tats for now.
Original post by Em_Huong
I was thinking of getting a tattoo, but reading through these comments I'm scared to. I have a really low pain threshold so I might just stick to temporary tats for now.

I was the same, but for me it wasn't that bad. It's best to not think about the pain imo :smile:

Planning my second one in about 3 weeks! :biggrin:
Original post by Slowbro93
I was the same, but for me it wasn't that bad. It's best to not think about the pain imo :smile:

Planning my second one in about 3 weeks! :biggrin:

But if you tell me not to think of something that will be all I can think of haha

Ooh, where are you getting your second one?
Original post by Em_Huong
But if you tell me not to think of something that will be all I can think of haha

Ooh, where are you getting your second one?

Hehehe, it's a odd think to put your mind into but I think it was the lead up to getting my first tattoo that was a lot more scary then the actual getting it done :yep:

Left calf, trying to find the funds though as I'm getting ready to move so need to make sure that I don't mess cash flow :tongue:
Original post by Slowbro93
Hehehe, it's a odd think to put your mind into but I think it was the lead up to getting my first tattoo that was a lot more scary then the actual getting it done :yep:

Left calf, trying to find the funds though as I'm getting ready to move so need to make sure that I don't mess cash flow :tongue:

Yes, I think its the anticipation more than anything >.< I'm still not sure, going to keep using temp tats for now and see how I feel about it after a few weeks or so.

Its weird because I never liked tattoos before, but slowly since a couple of weeks ago, I now want one =/

Quick Reply

Latest