Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher jailed for 12 months for sex with 16 y.o. pupil Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure here, isn't 16 the age of consent in England? Can adults have sex with minors?

Provided he had sex willingly (and within age of consent laws) and wasn't threatened or coerced into it, I don't think the kid was 'wronged' to the point of needing to incarcerate the teacher for 12 months.

Regardless, it certainly isn't appropriate to have sex with your students, so firing her would certainly be appropriate.

I would say the exact same thing about a male teacher and a female student, by the way.

(Original post by Novascope)
    You know what's funny? When I see people complaining (mostly men) about when a woman doesn't get a long enough sentence in comparison to a man. Yet when these cases do come around, who are the ones making a joke of it and essentially saying the male victim was "lucky" and so on? Men. It's all so very hypocritical
    Are the people who complain about the inequality in sentencing are also the ones saying the victim was lucky? If so, hypocrisy. If not, its not hypocrisy at all. Just because some men have different views, doesn't make them all hypocrites :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the victim will be given extra time in his exams ? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The victim here is the teacher's husband.

ReputationRep:
    But his mother was unconvinced and her suspicions intensified after her son abandoned plans to study medicine and said he would instead take geography at Sussex University and then be a teacher. Cox had done the same.
    Well, that is also a little creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Poor lad

ReputationRep:
    12 months? Should have been longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    would you complain if it would be 16yo girl being shagged by 27yo male teacher?
    jokes aside, things like that- although not physically violent ect- will affect someone psyche.
    I think being dragged to court and told that you've been through an appalling ordeal by lawyers and policemen would certainly be the more damaging part of something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lift-home.html

12 months for sexually abusing a child and destroying his life? Unbelievable.... I hope the poor boy can recover from this horrific experience.
    Why would it ruin his life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was this male teacher at my school that had sex with a 14 year old girl and sexually abused 2 other girls and only got 3 years (one year per attack)- So I actually don't think the sentences are that much different is a lot of cases.
    In this situation, just like a user said, people usually praise the male "victims" and see it as rewarding (it's usually guys who do this) and then they complain after that "oh, why do men and women get different sentences?" well maybe that's why!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    You know what's funny? When I see people complaining (mostly men) about when a woman doesn't get a long enough sentence in comparison to a man. Yet when these cases do come around, who are the ones making a joke of it and essentially saying the male victim was "lucky" and so on? Men. It's all so very hypocritical
    Unless of course some men say one thing, and other men say another. It is only hypocritical if the same people are contradicting themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    I'm not sure here, isn't 16 the age of consent in England? Can adults have sex with minors?

Provided he had sex willingly (and within age of consent laws) and wasn't threatened or coerced into it, I don't think the kid was 'wronged' to the point of needing to incarcerate the teacher for 12 months.

Regardless, it certainly isn't appropriate to have sex with your students, so firing her would certainly be appropriate.

I would say the exact same thing about a male teacher and a female student, by the way.
    This pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing is kind of weird she must have a thing for younger guys

ReputationRep:
    How did she get 12 months when Adam Johnson got 6 years for less?!

Having said that, props to the boy. Is game must be strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    How did she get 12 months when Adam Johnson got 6 years for less?!

Having said that, props to the boy. Is game must be strong
    Her conviction was basically for abusing her position of trust. His was for sexual activity with a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)

She was in a position of trust, hence the crime.

ReputationRep:
    Mother asked the teacher "How do you sleep at night?"

Teacher: "With your son ... "

ReputationRep:
    What a terrible ordeal lel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmYourdog)
    holy ****. I think the victim was on TSR!

found the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...687&highlight=
    That's too recent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrLovejoy)
    Why would it ruin his life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me, this is the really eye-opening part of the article:

"But his mother was unconvinced and her suspicions intensified after her son abandoned plans to study medicine and said he would instead take geography at Sussex University and then be a teacher. Cox had done the same."

It goes to show that the affair was having a negative influence on his aspirations (sorry to any Geographers in this thread). It's also evident she was disturbing his GCSE study leave, and that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. Putting aside the laws about position of trust there was obviously a very toxic element to this. It had to be stopped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.