The Student Room Group

At what age do you first have sex?

Like if it's not marriage, what age would you first have sex? 16 (because that's the legal age?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think about it sometimes because I have periods every month
really depends. do it when you're ready and you like your body and your partner and can deal with the feelings after. i feel like some ppl aren't ready till 21,22. and then there's ppl that wait for marriage too
I was 21 and I think I wasn't ready until around 20-21 so no regrets.
I lost my virginity at 21 & that’s because I felt like I had met the right person & felt comfortable with who I was (body confidence etc). Turns out he wasn’t the right person but it still felt right at the time of intercourse. Basically, there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to having sex for the first time, it’s your body so therefore you have complete autonomy over what happens with it. I have some friends who lost their virginities at 12 & some who are my age (24) who still haven’t lost their virginity & that is okay! Society puts pressure onto some people to have sex early but ultimately it is up to you, whether you wait until you feel very comfortable with someone in a relationship or wait until you get married, you make your own story at the end of the day 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 5
I was 14 years old and so was the boy
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Like if it's not marriage, what age would you first have sex? 16 (because that's the legal age?)

If you're asking for advice on when you should lose it, only when you're ready. Do not actively try to lose it as early as possible - when you meet the right person and you both want to do it is the right time.
Reply 7
19-20...
Reply 8
Wait till marriage!
Reply 9
I'm still waiting at 34 years old
(edited 3 months ago)
When you are at aged at least the minimum legal age of sexual consent, feel that you have met the right person and are ready for both sex & all the most forseeable consequences of choosing to consent to intimate sexual activity.
Over 30 and I have had not sex so far. I see no urgency to force it and still wait for the right moment, whenever it might be, if any.
There's not rush at all IMO. Sex is great but also not life changing the way some people dress it up to be. Honestly becomes quite normal once you lose your V-Card and is best with someone you care about and trust, I have found.
When you feel ready for it and when you meet a suitable person.
Original post by Anonymous #4
I lost my virginity at 21 & that’s because I felt like I had met the right person & felt comfortable with who I was (body confidence etc). Turns out he wasn’t the right person but it still felt right at the time of intercourse. Basically, there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to having sex for the first time, it’s your body so therefore you have complete autonomy over what happens with it. I have some friends who lost their virginities at 12 & some who are my age (24) who still haven’t lost their virginity & that is okay! Society puts pressure onto some people to have sex early but ultimately it is up to you, whether you wait until you feel very comfortable with someone in a relationship or wait until you get married, you make your own story at the end of the day 🤷🏻*♀️

12 is a bit extreme, idek how that's possible for guys
Reply 15
I definitely wouldn't have done it before 16. It is mostly about emotional maturity and having the right person who will make it a positive and respectful experience, but that comes with age. You also need to be able to be able to understand the potential consequences and have a plan if those things happen, and younger teens generally don't have those capabilities.
Reply 16
I was 26
Original post by Anonymous #1

17 rn and still got my v card 🗿
Original post by Anonymous #5
12 is a bit extreme, idek how that's possible for guys

I knew people who had lost it very young, although none as young as 12. It's not a very clever thing to do at that age, I doubt they'd really know the consequences of it and how to do it safely. I remember being in the last years of primary school and the early years of secondary with those things on my mind, but I think most people saw sense and didn't try anything. However, the ones who lost it not long after regretted it; the two people I'm thinking of lost it at 14 and it was a huge mistake for them.
Original post by Foxehh
I definitely wouldn't have done it before 16. It is mostly about emotional maturity and having the right person who will make it a positive and respectful experience, but that comes with age. You also need to be able to be able to understand the potential consequences and have a plan if those things happen, and younger teens generally don't have those capabilities.

It's a massive stretch to suggest that older teens, or even those in their early 20s can either understand the consequences of unwanted pregnancy or plan for it. And whilst you're right that it is about finding someone who will make it a positive and respectful experience, again sex should get better not just with experience, but with emotional maturity into your mid 20s and older. The issue for teenagers is that they're trying to deal with the pressure both for their first time to be good and with the right person, and not to wait too long. The answer to the latter is broadly to wait until you're ready, but the context of that decision is that chances are your first time having sex is not going to be good, because you will not have a clue what you're doing. And that is absolutely fine. It's not about having amazing sex the first time. It's about being with someone who you are comfortable taking that step with. You're extremely unlikely to only have sex with one person in your life. It'll likely be much more than that. And sometimes the sex will be good, other times it will be bad. Sometimes you may absolutely choose the wrong person to have sex with. There's plenty of scope for regret with sex too, including the first time. But all of that is fine. You learn from all of those experiences until, eventually, you will hopefully find yourself in a relationship with someone that you can have a good, satisfying sex life with long term, through the good and bad and everything in between sex. The first time you have sex is just the first step on that very long road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending