The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hildabeast
I know someone who has applied to Oxford twice unsuccessfully and is now applying to Cambridge. He just needs to drop it because it is holding up his life. People need to realise that there are plenty of other institutions which can offer an excellent education and prospects. If I hadn't been accepted I would not even have considered applying again - life goes on and there are other universities in this world.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

anyone applying for a third time would be in an extreme minority, because thats just daft. however, there are good reasons for applying a second time for some people.
Reply 41
edders
anyone applying for a third time would be in an extreme minority, because thats just daft. however, there are good reasons for applying a second time for some people.

If you were given an offer but just missed it I could understand taking a year out and re-applying.
Reply 42
Lord Huntroyde
If you were given an offer but just missed it I could understand taking a year out and re-applying.

yeah that would be for the 2nd application. but if you werent given an offer post-alevel then obviously you should give it up.
Reply 43
Lord Huntroyde
Did your friend get an offer and fail it or not even recieve an offer?

y u talking about offers most people here will have graduated before you even start your a levels lol
Lord Huntroyde
Did your friend get an offer and fail it or not even recieve an offer?

He didn't get offers from Oxford on either occassion and he is still in the process of applying to Cambridge.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
edders

The daftest thing about it is that he has had offers from top institutions like UCL, Nottingham and Manchester in the past but passed them up becasue he was dead set on Oxbridge. I personally don't think he stands much chance of Cambridge now either.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 46
hildabeast
The daftest thing about it is that he has had offers from top institutions like UCL, Nottingham and Manchester in the past but passed them up becasue he was dead set on Oxbridge. I personally don't think he stands much chance of Cambridge now either.

well theyll be wondering what hes been doing for 2 years. people have gap years but not 'gap of 2 years' lol. what subject was he applying for?
Reply 47
Unregistered
y u talking about offers most people here will have graduated before you even start your a levels lol

your point being?

Most won't have graduated by next year.
edders
well theyll be wondering what hes been doing for 2 years. people have gap years but not 'gap of 2 years' lol. what subject was he applying for?

Modern Languages. I think it was French and German at Oxford and the equivalent or something similar in the Cambridge tripos.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 49
Lord Huntroyde
your point being?

Most won't have graduated by next year.

Youre talking on this website like youre getting uni offers and youre really interested lol.

Youve got 3 years to worry about all that...have a childhood mate.
Reply 50
Unregistered
Youre talking on this website like youre getting uni offers and youre really interested lol.

Youve got 3 years to worry about all that...have a childhood mate.

I think most people have had their childhood by 15. When the sweetie man stops coming... :frown:
Reply 51
hildabeast
Modern Languages. I think it was French and German at Oxford and the equivalent or something similar in the Cambridge tripos.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

hmm if youve got a talent for languages then i would have thought this would be evident in the first application, so not much benefit in having a second go.
Reply 52
Lord Huntroyde
I think most people have had their childhood by 15. When the sweetie man stops coming... :frown:

sweetie man?
just ignore the chap who is dissing you for your educational expertise huntroyde.
Reply 53
edders
sweetie man?
just ignore the chap who is dissing you for your educational expertise huntroyde.

Did you not have a sweetie man where you lived? Who sold sweeties?
edders
hmm if youve got a talent for languages then i would have thought this would be evident in the first application, so not much benefit in having a second go.

Yeh that's exactly what I thought. In his interview report from Keble where he applied intially they said he had not made any attempt to read much French or German literature and did not seem to be very committed to the subject, and they said it again the next year when he applied to LMH!!!! I don't think he's read much in preparation for Cam either - madman.

Reply 55
Lord Huntroyde

erm nope. i remember at primary school i used to go to the post office just over the road to get some sweets after school with my mum and sister though. 10p chomp bars etc.
Reply 56
edders

Then again if you spent the year in between in a foreign country doing something.. maybe that would make you look good.! But I agree, applying once would be enough pressure.. to do it again would be too much.. but to do it AGAIN! When you could have settled in the first place and been in the last year of a 3 year course at somewhere like UCL.. Well i know where I'd rather be!!

Oxbridge is amazing educationally I'm sure.. but as far as I'm concerned nowhere would be good enough for me to go through UCAS HELL (not to mention all the special application forms!) 3 times!!!
Reply 57
Lord Huntroyde

why would they come to me? Surely in a time of market turbelence, we need to be more efficent, so drop all PR stunts, and means visiting small children
Reply 58
hildabeast
Yeh that's exactly what I thought. In his interview report from Keble where he applied intially they said he had not made any attempt to read much French or German literature and did not seem to be very committed to the subject, and they said it again the next year when he applied to LMH!!!! I don't think he's read much in preparation for Cam either - madman.

well he will be rejected again then. if he really enjoys languages then he'd be reading foreign literature as a hobby anyway; if he cant be bothered to read it for his oxbridge interview then he is insane.
edders
well he will be rejected again then. if he really enjoys languages then he'd be reading foreign literature as a hobby anyway; if he cant be bothered to read it for his oxbridge interview then he is insane.

Yup - I think he's just become psychologically obsessed with the idea of going to Oxford or Cambridge which is not a healthy attitude to have.

Where else are you applying this year Edders???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Latest

Trending

Trending