The Student Room Group

Top-up Degree

I finished my Linguistics degree in 2018, unfortunately failing my final year. I was told I wasn’t eligible to resit my exams, and I couldn’t retake the year as my degree was finished. I now work in education, but my unclassified degree is holding me back. I looked into a ‘top-up’ degree (BA (Hons) Supporting Children with Special Educational Needs and Disability Top Up Distance Learning) which is perfect for my job role and home life circumstances. It would allow me the credits I’d need to have an honours degree. However, student finance said I’m not eligible to another year’s funding, unless it’s for the course previous. Is there any alternatives or advice to regarding funding of the course? I’m a full time working single mum, but I aspire to do my teacher training, hence why the degree is holding me back.
Hi there,

Did Student Finance say you were not eligible due to previous study? How many years of previous study did you have and what university did you apply for? Would this be a one year course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Hi Drew,

I studied the full three years at the University of York studying Linguistics. I looked into a ‘top-up’ course at the University of Doncaster, 1 year, the course mentioned previously. The web advisor said I wouldn’t be eligible for another years funding, but I would if it was for my previous course.
Thank you. What level of qualification do you hold at the moment? What qualification would you gain from the top up? Thanks again, David
Reply 4
Hi David,

I hold a degree without honours, unclassified. The top up would allow me to gain the credits to have BA honours.
Hi Aem553,

The degree without honours would usually count as 3 years of previous study so based on the previous study calculation your eligibility for tuition fees would be 1 + 3 - 3 = 1. As it is a top up course you would be eligible for funding.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 6
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Aem553,
The degree without honours would usually count as 3 years of previous study so based on the previous study calculation your eligibility for tuition fees would be 1 + 3 - 3 = 1. As it is a top up course you would be eligible for funding.
Thanks,
Calum

I spoke with Student Finance web advisor and the said I wouldn’t be eligible to get funding for the top-up. I’d only get an extra year relating to my previous course. Any advice on how to proceed?
Original post by Aem553
I spoke with Student Finance web advisor and the said I wouldn’t be eligible to get funding for the top-up. I’d only get an extra year relating to my previous course. Any advice on how to proceed?

Hi there. I would advise applying online for this as from here it would seem like you will be eligible. You will then get a response within 6-8 weeks. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending