The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Yeah, he got his tactics completely wrong until he bought Allen and Lambert on.

Expect us to go back to the diamond after Balotelli signs, thank God.
Reply 661
What has Can done to justify calls for him to start tomorrow, as if he'll be our Yaya Toure or something?
Reply 662
His strength. I'm not personally looking forward to Gerrard/Henderson/Allen vs Yaya Toure/Fernandinho/Fernando
Original post by Pn94
What has Can done to justify calls for him to start tomorrow, as if he'll be our Yaya Toure or something?

i agree, in a massive game like this i don't think the inexperienced can is the way to go.
he's very new to our team and although he has been decent, he hasn't justified an automatic start, not just yet.

Original post by Samiz
His strength. I'm not personally looking forward to Gerrard/Henderson/Allen vs Yaya Toure/Fernandinho/Fernando

not sure about allen, but i think rodgers is hoping we can create some fast, slick play that catches out the city defence.
they aren't the strongest right now, so maybe we can grab a few early-ish goals, then bring on some stronger players in the second half.

it's inevitable city will score though - it's just a matter of how many we can limit them to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 664
The key to this game is in the midfield battle. I'd prefer Can's power, but I don't mind Allen as long as he plays like he did when we thrashed Spurs
Original post by Lúcio
i agree, in a massive game like this i don't think the inexperienced can is the way to go.
he's very new to our team and although he has been decent, he hasn't justified an automatic start, not just yet..

We put in Matic to our team early, gave him his first full start against City iirc and he dominated their midfield all game.

It's not a problem if they're the correct player.
Original post by Samiz
Judging by the bibs in training, Johnson will start tomorrow. ffs

Mignolet
Johnson-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
Gerrard
Henderson-Allen
Sterling-Sturridge-Coutinho

BR HEAD MY CALL ... MANQUILLO OVER JOHNSON PLEASE :rolleyes:
Original post by Samiz
Balotelli announced on Monday/Tuesday.

Mignolet
Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
Gerrard
Coutinho------Henderson
Sterling
Sturridge-Balotelli

That's my perfect LFC line up :biggrin:
Reply 668
Original post by Pn94

Simply because he was better than Allen and Lucas in preseason tbh. I'd go with Allen though, I don't think Can's ready. Let's not kid ourselves though, if Lallana or Markovic were fit, they would definitely be starting and Coutinho would be moved back into midfield where he belongs.
Reply 669
Do people really think Balotelli will go straight in to our team in a diamond? I'd rather have Lallana and stick to a 4-3-3 for now. Obviously we'll rotate for CL games and whatnot so they will all get plenty of games, but I don't think I'd have Balotelli as part of our 'best team', or at least not until he's proven himself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Congrats man, hopefully arsenal and Chelsea can drop points as a little wedding gift :biggrin:

Original post by Obiejess
Hope you have an amazing day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Deshi
WTF

Original post by AR_95
No other words describe it better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Yesss I diddd
U wot zerf

Original post by addylad
I heard bacon butty and little_tom were going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Deshi
PM sent. I expect a reply Zerf.

Original post by Malevolent
Holy **** Zerf. Congratulations on the big day! Hopefully results go your way as well to make the day even better :h:

Original post by mhsc
Also, wtf Zerf is getting married. Is that even allowed? Hope its someone nice. Not a scouser.

Original post by The.Joker
Awww!! Congratulations Zerf! :biggrin:

Original post by Malevolent
Will rep Zerf when I can. Still surprised!

Original post by kuks
No wonder you didn't finish top of the last thread :colonhash:

Congratulations :biggrin:

Original post by Mackay
Congrats, Zerf.

Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Congratulations Zerf! :biggrin:

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Congrats :biggrin:

Original post by Angry cucumber

Original post by Pn94
Congratulations Zerforax!

Thanks guys! :biggrin:
Be a crazy busy few days and I'm off on my honeymoon tomorrow so won't be around for a couple more weeks :colondollar:

I'm a little bit older than most here (just stick around on TSR for the football banter).

On a football related note, great to see Arsenal drop points and even more delicious to see Man Utd on 1 point after two easy games. If they don't turn this run soon, it's going to be brutal on them imo considering they have their easy games now.

I think I might have to miss the game tonight which is a massive shame but the missus already checked that I can watch the Spurs games while we're on honeymoon :colondollar: (Nah she's not a scouser lol)
Original post by Zerforax
Thanks guys! :biggrin:
Be a crazy busy few days and I'm off on my honeymoon tomorrow so won't be around for a couple more weeks :colondollar:

I'm a little bit older than most here (just stick around on TSR for the football banter).

On a football related note, great to see Arsenal drop points and even more delicious to see Man Utd on 1 point after two easy games. If they don't turn this run soon, it's going to be brutal on them imo considering they have their easy games now.

I think I might have to miss the game tonight which is a massive shame but the missus already checked that I can watch the Spurs games while we're on honeymoon :colondollar: (Nah she's not a scouser lol)

I like how you quoted everyone that congratulated you - good guy Zerf.

It'll be weird without you, but let's just hope with can pick up a point or 3 for you!

United are just too funny; if they don't improve, it might be easy getting top 4.
I don't see Everton getting close, although spurs may be the team to watch out for.

I'm missing the game too, it's literally in the middle of my shift tonight
Would like to come away with something but I also appreciate how tough a game against city at the etihad is.
I think a good performance tonight will do wonders for confidence. I'm not expecting a point or three, but a solid performance similar to last season will make me delighted in the aftermath of losing Suarez, City's good start at Newcastle and the quality that Spurs are showing ahead of next week.
Reply 673
Original post by jam278
We put in Matic to our team early, gave him his first full start against City iirc and he dominated their midfield all game.

It's not a problem if they're the correct player.

Didn't Matic use to play for you guys before?
Original post by Lúcio
he's very new to our team and although he has been decent, he hasn't justified an automatic start, not just yet.

Willing to throw Moreno and Manquillo in there though?
Original post by AR_95
Didn't Matic use to play for you guys before?

Yeah, but he didn't get a chance. Another mistake by Ancelotti. Although he got Luiz who made us the profit used to buy Fabregas...

We were probably better off just using Matic from the start, would have had a solid option there for years as Essien was past it since 2010. There is genuine youth at Chelsea that just is misused.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by addylad

Tbf Moreno has good experience, won the europa league with Sevilla as a first choice LB so a game vs City isn't too big a game for him.

Although changing your first choice fullbacks is more suicidal than drafting in a midfielder, especially when he's probably the best option. Should just do what Mourinho did last season, Go 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 with the RW tucking in as a wide midfielder (Henderson), Narrow the midfield to give Jovetic/Aguero and let them cross to Dzeko. Sakho and Lovren will be able to handle that fairly easily. Or you can do what you did last time and get Sterling in the middle to run through the CM/CB spaces.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by addylad

i would be
maybe it's a risk due to their relative inexperience/lack of game time in the PL however sometimes you gotta decide if it's better to have quality of experience.

after watching glen johnson start frequently for club and country, i would much rather face the league champions with a young spanish defender than an incompetent, past it englishman
Original post by jam278
Tbf Moreno has good experience, won the europa league with Sevilla as a first choice LB so a game vs City isn't too big a game for him.

Although changing your first choice fullbacks is more suicidal than drafting in a midfielder, especially when he's probably the best option. Should just do what Mourinho did last season, Go 4-2-3-1, Narrow the midfield to give Jovetic/Aguero and let them cross to Dzeko. Sakho and Lovren will be able to handle that fairly easily.

This is my point: there is nothing wrong with throwing these players in so I can't understand why Can would be any different. At least Can has trained with the team for some time and played in preseason. Given that Lucas wasn't much good for us against Saints there is nothing to be lost.
Johnson's experience means nothing if he doesn't use it, which he doesn't.

'experience' is just being bandied about as a vague positive for him without it actually meaning anything.

Occasionally though, like maybe once a match, he does make a good interception running behind the defensive line or track a run very nicely, he's actually pretty good at that. Covered for (I think) Terry like that all Euros and did it once in the Soton game too.

So for all his faults in possession (which are massive) and his faults in not stopping crosses (which I despite more than anything on Earth), I guess in Brendan's eyes he has his uses. Rodgers isn't one to be afraid of putting youth in, so if Manquillo was a better option in his eyes atm, then Manquillo would be playing.

Obviously I'd rather Manquillo and Flanagan above Johnson.

Quick Reply

Latest