The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

its something simple like there was no pollen in that sample
Original post by elmo245
For the one on rising sea levels, I had a geography disadvantage here and talked about bloody thermal expansion. The thought of melting ice caps didn't even come to mind cos of how simple that is. I think the paper wasn't too bad. It just started and ended horribly which is why we all feel pretty *****y about it.

Why is it not thermal expansion, I don't do geography but my teacher always said that was why it increased?
Reply 682
Original post by smdmofo
its something simple like there was no pollen in that sample

I said there was some sort of obstruction, such as a stone or rock, in that depth of peat, so no recording for pollen could be taken.
That paper destroyed me...
You know a paper is bad when you can't even get multiple choice questions right 😊
Well, I didn't read the graph correctly apparently. Would I still get a mark you think if I say pollen count dropped drastically after the eruption? And was the sea level graph read normally? And I haven't looked at fertilisation in plants for over a year so screwed that up. What did people put for the fluid mosaic model question? For the pollen question, I put the tough outer shell of pollen is resistant to decay, because that's all it says in my textbook.... **** you Edexcel for trying to trip us over. I'm saying I got around 57/90. What do you think that'll be grade wise?

My rant is over
Original post by DodaWilliams
Well, I didn't read the graph correctly apparently. Would I still get a mark you think if I say pollen count dropped drastically after the eruption? And was the sea level graph read normally? And I haven't looked at fertilisation in plants for over a year so screwed that up. What did people put for the fluid mosaic model question? For the pollen question, I put the tough outer shell of pollen is resistant to decay, because that's all it says in my textbook.... **** you Edexcel for trying to trip us over. I'm saying I got around 57/90. What do you think that'll be grade wise?

My rant is over

I talked about how too acidic and temperature too high and the effect on the enzymes...thus they hydrolyse the 1-4 glycocidic bonds slowly which is why the pOLLen takes years to decay...it's all i could think of probably wrong
Reply 686
Original post by BrownGuyIrfan
I talked about how too acidic and temperature too high and the effect on the enzymes...thus they hydrolyse the 1-4 glycocidic bonds slowly which is why the pOLLen takes years to decay...it's all i could think of probably wrong

Talked about hard outer coating prvents destruction from acidic ph, also acidic ph and anaerobic conditions prevents microbial growth and aerobic respiration
Original post by DodaWilliams

My rant is over

For the FMM question I said that it is a phospholipid bilayer which is fluid and enables the bacteria to move in by endocytosis. Also mentioned the glycoprotein receptors.
I said that the conditions are too acidic and anaerobic so bacteria and decomposers couldn't decompose the pollen and digestive enzymes wouldn't be able to function.

It was a hard paper (definitely beneficial for those retaking too) so the fact that last years paper was 64 for an A* I would say you have a decent chance of getting an A* or an A with that mark. Also, grade boundaries are skewed depending on how well the rest of the population did and clearly lots of people found it nasty so grade boundaries should be relatively low this year.
Original post by SeanXd
Talked about hard outer coating prvents destruction from acidic ph, also acidic ph and anaerobic conditions prevents microbial growth and aerobic respiration

That actually makes a lot more sense. I just feel they purposely asked for the structure of cellulose beforehand so that we talk about the 1,4 glycocidic bonds. I guess we'll just have to hope...
How are they allowed to make it so similar to Jan 14 IAL - it's almost the same paper, bar a question or two?! :'(

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Biology/2013/Exam%20materials/WBI04_01_que_20140110.pdf
Original post by shooting_stars
Hi guys, for unit 5 what do we need to know about acetylcholine?

That it is the neurotransmitter which diffuses across synapses to trigger an action potential
Edexcel>Satan
RIP uni
Other than that I loved my AS exam!! :wink:
Reply 692
Original post by sssssshh
Exactly what I got for both of them. Hope they are right.:borat:

I think the percentage one was 3.07% but the other one was defo 1.23
Original post by geor_thor
What did people put for the rising sea levels Q?

I wrote about about rising temperatures melting the ice and them mentioned evaporation (?).

For the two questions support or not support this claim I just made one point from each graph.

I was rushing at the end and didn't finish my answer for 8b :frown:
For the cellulose question I wrote about it being B glucose. Molecules joined in condensation reactions and chains of molecules being joined by hydrogen bonds. Also wrote about molecules being layed down in a cross cross manner embedded in hemicelluloses and pectin or pectate - couldnt remember haha.

For the protein comparison I said glubular is 3d and used in enzymes, fibrous is flat and forms a mesh for example in hair.

Do these sound right??
What did people put for the plant fertilisation question?
Original post by Excuse Me!
What did people put for the plant fertilisation question?

I think I wrote a few key words for this one XD something along the lines of double fertilisation, moves into the ovary via a pollen tube, one haploid cell fuses with the female gamete the other fuses again to provide nutrients for the seed.
I like how they think "aah yes they learn about how pollen can be used to study global warming lol lets turn it into an AS fertilisation question"
Original post by Rhy
I think the percentage one was 3.07% but the other one was defo 1.23

Agree
Original post by geor_thor
What did people put for the rising sea levels Q?

I'm not sure if someone has answered this, but it is about how if there are higher temperatures then more land ice will be melted (also have to state fresh water).
It has to be ice on land, since if the arctic ice melts there will be no overall change in water height.
suck my male nuclei, so muche urgh wgajegnjrgn I didnt even get the trophic level question! :C

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending